Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On this I will say, No
When we purchased the 2015, it was stated that the car could & would be upgradable as availability would allow. This was mentioned several times when questioned if the Tesla would be the last car that you would ever need to purchase. It was brought up again when questioned about upsizing the battery. This was about the time they installed a battery swapping station
s://electrek.co/2017/09/15/tesla-new-battery-swap-technology-to-deploy-trailer/.
Supposedly there wasn't a need to up exchange your battery if you could swap it, then that changed with a massive buildout of the Supercharging stations.
All of this upgradability was resolved to the point,,, 'can it be exchanged out easy, how much internal wiring would be needed' &
can it be accomplished through a firmware update.
I will see if I can find those statements in my history files, but it may be lawyer proof because it was revised in owners manual or just an Elon euphemism

I have been informed that the 85 kWh battery wasn't really a 85 but really was closer to a 78 and no, Tesla will not exchange it for a 100 because the batteries do not have the same compatible components.
The 85 is listed as a PK1 and the closet to that would be a 90 kWh battery. The 100 kWh is a PK2

Still digging

My understanding is that dual motor batteries are a direct drop-in between dual motor cars but that a Tesla-made adapter is needed on the 100kwh battery. This fact isn't offered or advertised because Tesla wants your in a new car with higher margins.

My understanding is that dual motor batteries are a direct drop-in between dual motor cars but that a Tesla-made adapter is needed on the 100kwh battery. This fact isn't offered or advertised because Tesla wants your in a new car with higher margins.
Thanks, maybe if enough of us who had faith enough to buy the Tesla when the financial world was screaming - Nooooo
Maybe we can have the options to future proof our cars as Elon has stated.
And.. in case I tick off a few, No, I'm not advocating I get a new car, just the opportunity to keep my car current and in doing so, retain the features I paid for <a working CPU with a browser!, an online owner's manual, a real 85 kWh battery, charginging times that are still 'close' to what I had - not less, and last but not least, our Tech Package AP has become less reliable not more reliable. On this I can understand that my Tech has become very dated and slow, it is what it is>
As it is, I no longer give test rides or showings simply because MY Tesla can not match what most of the ICE cars now have,, 'Cross Traffic warnings', Emergency Stopping & Collision Warnings

Last edited:
On this I will say, No
When we purchased the 2015, it was stated that the car could & would be upgradable as availability would allow. This was mentioned several times when questioned if the Tesla would be the last car that you would ever need to purchase. It was brought up again when questioned about upsizing the battery. This was about the time they installed a battery swapping station
s://electrek.co/2017/09/15/tesla-new-battery-swap-technology-to-deploy-trailer/.
Supposedly there wasn't a need to up exchange your battery if you could swap it, then that changed with a massive buildout of the Supercharging stations.
All of this upgradability was resolved to the point,,, 'can it be exchanged out easy, how much internal wiring would be needed' &
can it be accomplished through a firmware update.
I will see if I can find those statements in my history files, but it may be lawyer proof because it was revised in owners manual or just an Elon euphemism

I have been informed that the 85 kWh battery wasn't really a 85 but really was closer to a 78 and no, Tesla will not exchange it for a 100 because the batteries do not have the same compatible components.
The 85 is listed as a PK1 and the closet to that would be a 90 kWh battery. The 100 kWh is a PK2

Still digging

"It's the car that keeps getting better the longer you own it..."

I do have to say, though, that my car is better than the day I picked it up new. It's not better than the new ones today. I'm accepting of that. My iPhone X was also running iOS 11 the day I picked it up... and now it's on iOS 13 and can do more... but it doesn't have the darn 3 cameras.

There are more complications with the 100kwh battery because it weighs more. When Tesla offered to upgrade P90Ds to P100Ds for a hot minute, the few cars they actually did needed far more than the battery, including new front seats to keep its crash certifications, etc.

There are more complications with the 100kwh battery because it weighs more. When Tesla offered to upgrade P90Ds to P100Ds for a hot minute, the few cars they actually did needed far more than the battery, including new front seats to keep its crash certifications, etc.
Sorry I missed that one!!
I have what is called, Next Gen seats $2,500.00, so I should be Goooood!

Premium seats (with adjustable headrests) came out after Next Gen seats. I think all 100 kWh battery cars had premium seats, not Next Gen seats.
Thanks, When I test drove the Model S, the original seats were too hard and I almost walked away.
Our contact person arranged for a special demo with a customer so we could try these Next Gen seats and the rest is history!
Tesla was evolving rather fast at this point and many models were being phased out and items were being revamped to suit the market, but after having driven the car, I was not willing to wait for the Executive Premium sets so the Next Gen seats, it was.

Premium seats (with adjustable headrests) came out after Next Gen seats. I think all 100 kWh battery cars had premium seats, not Next Gen seats.
Thanks, When I test drove the Model S, the original seats were too hard and I almost walked away.
Our contact person arranged for a special demo with a customer so we could try these Next Gen seats and the rest is history!
Tesla was evolving rather fast at this point and many models were being phased out and items were being revamped to suit the market, but after having driven the car, I was not willing to wait for the Executive Premium sets so the Next Gen seats, it was.

Friendly remind this is the title of the thread that people subscribed (and then show up in their watch list assuming new info) in order to get information on.
Musk confirms/Tesla Refutes upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2

Last edited:
Friendly remind this is the title of the thread that people subscribed to to get information on:
If you will notice, that is, the thread to which this reply was is attached, and in keeping with that, the upgrades for the MCU1 to MCU2 was in regards to what it would entail to upgrade and what Other things you could look forward to.
I sorry if you feel that this has drifted off that thread but is / was being noted that the car original was advertised as being upgradeable in it's entirety, Battery & MCU
Please forgive me if I have hijacked the MCU thread

Last edited:

I also forgot that air suspension was a requirement as well in 1 of his comments. For the weight reasons you specified. Although to be fair, Jason Hughes didn't seem to have issues when he made that Frankenstein P100+.....

• Informative
Reactions: BozieBeMe2
Friendly remind this is the title of the thread that people subscribed (and then show up in their watch list assuming new info) in order to get information on.
I totally agree. With threads like this that affect me, I like to check in occasionally to se what the state of play is. When I do that (like today) and all I see is pages of OT stuff and nothing about MCU upgradability... I GO BESERK!!!:)

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
FYI
Very Green is a smart man, but my service tech who has done several MCU1 to MCU2 swaps (in Verygreen’s mobile service region might I add) has informed me there was a harness or two that had to be repinned and a couple other odd procedures completed for full a swap, and it also needed the driving display changed.
Maybe for AP2 if it needs new cameras or the new radar and redundant wiring for power steering etc... but for AP2.5 w/MCU1 @verygreen already showed it was a plug and play replacement. green on Twitter

I have a MCU1 2017, and felt the screen was outdated on day 1. It was slow and laggy, only getting worse with v9. I thought, don’t worry, this thing is a driving computer, I can upgrade the CPU/RAM/video card etc... later. I was wrong... this is more like and iPhone than a PC. Except it cost 150 times more than an iPhone...

I have a MCU1 2017, and felt the screen was outdated on day 1. It was slow and laggy, only getting worse with v9. I thought, don’t worry, this thing is a driving computer, I can upgrade the CPU/RAM/video card etc... later. I was wrong... this is more like and iPhone than a PC. Except it cost 150 times more than an iPhone...
Really hopeful with Elon’s latest tweet that it will come to fruition that MCU 1 will be upgraded to 2 for $2k.
Really hopeful. But at the same time know that Elon’s tweet sometimes...

Trying to decide between a ‘16 S75D FSD AP2 MCU1 FUSC and a stealth M3P for the same price.

For those stating that Apple/Microsoft would never sell a product with software to be added later on such as this:

Do Apple and Microsoft SELL you stuff based on future software or hardware that they might make in 3 years? No. They charge you for what they already provide. When did Apple say “buy our phone with 3 cameras now because that means you will get super duper advanced object recognition software in 2 years, even though it still isn’t working right now”?

They absolutely did do that in 2007 when the first iPhone was released with the promise of third-party apps and an app store which didn't materialize until a full year later.

The difference is they fulfilled their promise. Maybe they didn't need as much regulatory approval :)