Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My quote is out of context in this thread. That swap that green did was the APE not the MCU. Though that is next he says....
Sorry, I guess I was mainly focusing on the response given to you where they said MCU1 --> MCU2 has been done by Tesla service techs.
Very Green is a smart man, but my service tech who has done several MCU1 to MCU2 swaps (in Verygreen’s mobile service region might I add) has informed me there was a harness or two that had to be repinned and a couple other odd procedures completed for full a swap, and it also needed the driving display changed.

None-the-less, there are those that think the MCU1 S&X owners like myself will never get FSD/HW3 that some of us prepaid for ... but instead we will get a refund or some money off a future vehicle.

But that's the 2016 definition of FSD. That version of FSD doesn't exist anymore. :confused:

But back on topic, again; I don't think Tesla is going to waste any time developing software for MCU1 FSD for a long time. If they can get it into the newer cars faster, they're better off, financially, doing so. It sucks for us MCU1 peeps but it's business. I will keep this car until the wheels fall off so I'm sure I'll see something eventually whether it's in the form of an MCU2 upgrade or some crippled version of FSD for MCU1. At that point I'll ask Tesla for some $$$ off a new car for the inconvenience and misinformation (aka lies in the form of videos of a Tesla driving itself in 2016). :cool:
For what it's worth, I wouldn't expect too much. I shared about the same opinion on Twitter and was immediately chastised for wanting Tesla to give me a new car! To this Lady,, I replied, No I want what I was told I had bought!

Reactions: Lex and BlueRocket
I think in general this was poor future proofing by Tesla when they designed the MCU to begin with. Automotive tech can never keep pace with IT industry tech. The market just moves too quickly. The Tegra3 was over the hill even before the first Model S hit production. Even now, the Atom processor used in the MCU2 won't win any speed or processing power awards.

The MCU should've been designed so the wire harnesses/connectors were standardized from the start and separate from the processing unit. The actual brains of the unit (e.g. the CPU/storage/video) should've been a swapable board much like their HW3 computer supposedly is. More importantly, it should've been a user-serviceable component that customers could opt to purchase and change out on their own.

But I digress...

For those stating that Apple/Microsoft would never sell a product with software to be added later on such as this:

They absolutely did do that in 2007 when the first iPhone was released with the promise of third-party apps and an app store which didn't materialize until a full year later.

The difference is they fulfilled their promise. Maybe they didn't need as much regulatory approval :)
You need a different example, because that one isn't true. SJ didn't want external apps to mess up his beautiful device. It took many people quite a while to convince him. There certainly wasn't any such promise upon initial release.

Not that this is at all relevant to this thread. Sorry.

• Love
Reactions: HankLloydRight
FWIW, when I asked for MCU 1 replacement price with respect to proactive EMMC replacement, I was quoted $2000. I have 1 more year of extended warranty, so I will wait to see if it fails in next year... also with fingers crossed that Musk’s $2k MCU2 upgrade tweet comes true in 2020, in which case I will kill 2 birds with 1 stone and let the MCU upgrade also give me fresh EMMC.

PS, I wonder if most of the MCU upgrade complexities relate to AP? If so, I wish they’d offer simpler upgrade for us pre AP owners.

FWIW, when I asked for MCU 1 replacement price with respect to proactive EMMC replacement, I was quoted $2000. I have 1 more year of extended warranty, so I will wait to see if it fails in next year... also with fingers crossed that Musk’s $2k MCU2 upgrade tweet comes true in 2020, in which case I will kill 2 birds with 1 stone and let the MCU upgrade also give me fresh EMMC.

PS, I wonder if most of the MCU upgrade complexities relate to AP? If so, I wish they’d offer simpler upgrade for us pre AP owners.

$2K would be a very reasonable upgrade for a faster, more capable, and (an assumed) more reliable MCU. I have a 2013 S85 in the shop right now for a series of warning messages. The 2018(?) S75D loaner has been an absolute treat as replacement. It's equipped with the high-res display/backup camera/LTE interface and has Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/Twitch streaming. MCU2 feels 5X faster than mine. The loaner has the yellow frame burn-in but I'd take that any day of the week over my setup.

I'd rationalize the $2K spend as a bargain considering my first computer was about $2K back in 1985 and didn't even have a hard disk...remember the old days with a super long RAM check and a DOS boot-disk?

It sounds like the hardest part is getting the MCU2 to replace your MCU1 and taking apart the dash. IC seems a lot more readily available. The wiring changes sound not that hard (though its been 15 years since I last did computer hardware work apart from some 20+ crazy crypto mining rigs I built 5 years ago before ASICs took over most hashwork).

elon could of meant its 2k more than MCU cost.. so more like 2k in labor/harnesses to convert and 2k for MCU itself(per normal cost). not sure 4k is worth it but does lines up with his sentiment in that recent tweet
I have heard that Tesla charges $2,500 to $3,000 to replace the MCU1 if your eMMC dies so another $500:is a bargain considering you get new eMMC and a lot of features you can’t get with a MCU1.

I really agree that having dashcam along with built in TeslaCam and Sentry Mode is the best way to go.
Not necessarily. One of our Teslas has the dashcam feature, but I still choose to use a 3rd party dedicated dashcam solution. The biggest issue with using the Tesla built-in solution is the reliability. Teslas are beta cars, with continuous updates. Every update has the potential to screw things up (search here, some updates caused the dashcam feature to have gaps in recording, or just fail). To me a dashcam should be reliable, I don't want to have an accident and find out later that an update disabled the dashcam, it screwed up and ran out of space, it just happens to have a recording gap, or maybe the accident event itself pre-emptied the dashcam software because it was running on a Tesla computer which treated accident related events at a higher priority (as they should).

PS> Had one accident with the dashcams in a Tesla. Model S was totaled. The dashcam proved beyond any doubt it was the other driver's fault. Without the dashcam there was no way to prove who veered into whose lane, and it would have come out of our collision insurance.

Sorry, I guess I was mainly focusing on the response given to you where they said MCU1 --> MCU2 has been done by Tesla service techs.

None-the-less, there are those that think the MCU1 S&X owners like myself will never get FSD/HW3 that some of us prepaid for ... but instead we will get a refund or some money off a future vehicle.
No problem, just wanted to make sure others had proper context.

The aftermarket will step in as long as it's allowed. @verygreen already showed HW3 was compatible with MCU1, plug and play.... Also a few people of the same caliber as green have said that MCU1 to MCU2 is plug and play as well for AP2.0+ vehicles. Now this assumes your ok with not having the additional Bluetooth and 5Ghz WiFi. I fully intended to perform this upgrade myself should Tesla not make it available.... and possibly even if they do depending on price. Now I have AP2.5 so not as many variables as 2.0 but still.

No problem, just wanted to make sure others had proper context.

The aftermarket will step in as long as it's allowed. @verygreen already showed HW3 was compatible with MCU1, plug and play.... Also a few people of the same caliber as green have said that MCU1 to MCU2 is plug and play as well for AP2.0+ vehicles. Now this assumes your ok with not having the additional Bluetooth and 5Ghz WiFi. I fully intended to perform this upgrade myself should Tesla not make it available.... and possibly even if they do depending on price. Now I have AP2.5 so not as many variables as 2.0 but still.

Technically, both ape3 and mcu2 are "plug and play", but you still need root access in order to change car configuration on the gateway to tell the car it has new hardware. That's hard to come by, so you can't just drop in hardware and think it'll work.

• Helpful
Reactions: StarLog and croman
Technically, both ape3 and mcu2 are "plug and play", but you still need root access in order to change car configuration on the gateway to tell the car it has new hardware. That's hard to come by, so you can't just drop in hardware and think it'll work.
Right, that's what I meant by aftermarket.

In my case, I have root. So no issues there.