Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks increasingly likely that FSD will require MCU3 generation camera, radar and wiring harness updates in addition to the GPU upgrades. in other words, upgrade all hardware to AP3.

You are confused.

MCU = Media Control Unit. It’s the big 17” screen that controls the AC and stereo. It’s also the subject of this thread.

It had nothing to do with the autopilot computer, which is a completely separate physical computer above the glove box in the Model S.

There is no such thing, as of now, as MCU 3.

It looks increasingly likely that FSD will require MCU3 generation camera, radar and wiring harness updates in addition to the GPU upgrades. in other words, upgrade all hardware to AP3.

Where are you seeing that and what is MCU3 cameras, radar and wiring harness?

As mentioned, MCU is the 17" screen that controls the AC, stereo, etc - where are you seeing that there is relation to cameras and radar and the MCU?

Sorry if this was already discussed, I’d didn’t read though all the posts yet.

I was at the FREMONT SC this week for a air suspension issue. I received a 2018 loaner s75d and noticed the maps and WiFi worked way better than my 14 P85D.

I asked if upgrading from 3G to LTE would make a big difference or was it the MCU2 that was the reason for faster uploads.

The adviser said, LTE upgrade wouldn’t do much but if I wanted to upgrade MCUs it would be as fast as the loaner. I asked cost and he said around $2500.

I was at the FREMONT SC this week for a air suspension issue. I received a 2018 loaner s75d and noticed the maps and WiFi worked way better than my 14 P85D.

I asked if upgrading from 3G to LTE would make a big difference or was it the MCU2 that was the reason for faster uploads.

The adviser said, LTE upgrade wouldn’t do much but if I wanted to upgrade MCUs it would be as fast as the loaner. I asked cost and he said around $2500.

OUCH, I would do it , but $2500 is way too much, I could see $1500 easy

please upgrade and see what they say. we havent seen any confirmed upgrades yet

That's interesting because when I was shopping pre-owned Teslas, one of the sellers I was looking at said they had the MCU upgraded and specifically said it was $2500. I just figured they had it replaced and not upgraded and they just misspoke (or probably got LTE in the new one and assumed that meant the whole unit was upgraded).

OUCH, I would do it , but $2500 is way too much, I could see $1500 easy

Yup, my exact thoughts. $1000-$1500 and I would have done it but anything more and it’s wasn’t worth it to me.

That's pretty steep but I'd love to have a working browser again. Did you try that? I've not heard of MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades at any cost before.

Agreed. First I’ve heard of it as well.

please upgrade and see what they say. we havent seen any confirmed upgrades yet

If we start a go fund me to cover half the cost, I’ll be the guinea pig! Lol.

Do we think there is ‘any’ chance that all of us that need screen replacements due to the yellow border will end up getting MCU2 or at least an option for MCU2 with a big discount just to cover anything extra required (if anything is required)
I specifically offered to pay to have MCU2 installed when my MCU1 was replaced due to screen yellowing, since they were replacing the whole MCU and was told that it wasn't an option. Now, that was September of last year so things may have changed since.

I specifically offered to pay to have MCU2 installed when my MCU1 was replaced due to screen yellowing, since they were replacing the whole MCU and was told that it wasn't an option. Now, that was September of last year so things may have changed since.
I don't think anything has changed. I do ask Elon every few months on Twitter, but so far no response.

Zubin Anary on Twitter

The last response I got from Tesla Executive Care a year ago.

Hello,

You're correct - I'm glad you noticed the update regarding MCU upgrades. We're currently working with production to determine availability and pricing. So far, they've given us the expectation that the MCU retrofit will be available before the end of the year.

I appreciate your patience and understanding. Thanks again for reaching back out.

Regards,
Joe Carter
Tesla Executive Care

Well, end of the year 2018 has came and gone, can you follow up with then us to see what’s the situation now?

I've sent Joe an email along with a few others... I'll let you know what I get back if I hear from them.

I suspect it has to come soon as all of the advancements made with the kernel update and the performance enhancements made to 9.0 have been eliminated with the latest 20190.8.4 because it's becomes almost unresponsive with the 3-cam DashCam with NoA and Streaming all running concurrently.

When I had a 2014 MS 85 I upgraded from 3g to LTE. It did help some. The tiles on satellite view of maps loaded a little faster. Nothing dramatic. Where I noticed a difference is there are some areas where AT&T is adding new cell towers. Many of the new towers are LTE only. With the LTE upgrade, it will switch to LTE or 3G based on signal in the area. It seemed I had LTE coverage where previously I didn’t have good coverage at all.

When I had a 2014 MS 85 I upgraded from 3g to LTE. It did help some. The tiles on satellite view of maps loaded a little faster. Nothing dramatic. Where I noticed a difference is there are some areas where AT&T is adding new cell towers. Many of the new towers are LTE only. With the LTE upgrade, it will switch to LTE or 3G based on signal in the area. It seemed I had LTE coverage where previously I didn’t have good coverage at all.

Definitely agree; it's not a bad idea to upgrade to LTE simply for coverage. As time goes on, all the wireless service providers will be re-purposing existing spectrum from UMTS/WCDMA (3G) to LTE, so even if your 3G coverage is good today, that is no guarantee that it will be good tomorrow. E.G. AT&T used the PCS band (1900 MHz) as UMTS exclusively for a while, and now it is showing up more and more as LTE instead. As time goes on, all spectrum will be LTE and almost none of it will be 3G, much like how GSM/1X (2G) coverage today is only a tiny fraction of what it once was.

(I work in the wireless industry.)