Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real problem with that statement is PEOPLE BOUGHT THAT THOUGH!!!! You can't just "change the definition" and hope buyers won't notice. There is truly something wrong with people convincing themselves that is okay and that Tesla should not be held accountable.

Hey man, I'm with you 100%. My statement was sarcasm on how Tesla just keeps lowering the bar with all the promised features. I hope I will get a usable Level 3 sometime soon but I realize they'll try to forget about MCU1 owners, if they think they can get away with it. When the time comes for a class action, I'll join if the prize is more than a measly $250 (AP2 delays). Otherwise, I guess I'll have to go to mediation/arbitration myself. And before anyone accuses me of not wanting Tesla to profit and succeed, I think they'll survive seeing that they've been pulling surprise profits combined with growth. Not to mention...a record stock price. Making the MCU1/FSD customer's whole won't bankwupt the company.

Now, again, back to MCU1 to 2 upgrades. I'd be happy to pay the $2k Elon is quoting for the following reasons, listed from most wanted to don't care.
1. Dash cam (I value 360 cam recording at $1000) I know this is dependent on AP2.5+, which all FSD customers should be getting
2. Unknown future software features that MCU1 won't get ($500ish)
3. Sentry mode recording (Another $250) Again, dependent on AP2.5+
4. Speech recognition ($100)
5. Theater apps ($60)
6. Usable browser ($50)
7. Extra Games ($5)

I doubt features 1&3 would work on an MCU1/AP3.0 combo since it might require some unique software development. If they're able to make a MCU2/AP3.0 upgrade work, I can see all us 2016-2018 owners getting most if not all features listed above.

That puts me just short of $2k in value. Of course, I'd like to wait until they figure out their permanent solution to FSD for MCU1 owners. Hoping for a free upgrade but not holding my breath. Who knows, MAYBE they can make FSD work on MCU1. I just think it's a waste of dev resources to add processor hungry features to a system that was designed in 2011! o_O In terms of Moore's law MCU1 is 4 cycles old now. Can you imagine using a phone that was designed in 2011 in 2020? Galaxy S II or Iphone 4 anyone?

I'm really holding out on installing a good dash cam but I don't know how much longer I want to play with fire. Too many crazy people out there, and most of them without insurance.

I'm really holding out on installing a good dash cam but I don't know how much longer I want to play with fire. Too many crazy people out there, and most of them without insurance.

It's $250-$300. All of my cars have one. It's *cheap* insurance. And there won't be a viable MCU1->MCU2 upgrade for the foreseeable future (IMO). Besides, even if there is, a secondary dashcam is still good backup for sentry mode, since it includes audio.

It's $250-$300. All of my cars have one. It's *cheap* insurance. And there won't be a viable MCU1->MCU2 upgrade for the foreseeable future (IMO). Besides, even if there is, a secondary dashcam is still good backup for sentry mode, since it includes audio.

I picked up 2 x Blackvue 590's that do 1080p @ 60fps for $140 each and then 2 x Samsung High Endurance Pro 64GB for $15 a piece. Great insurance against fault, vandalism, and all around tomfoolery.

In fact, I literally caught a frame by frame rock to the windshield less than 24hrs ago. I second the opinion to at least have a dashcam, but even better to have a redundancy.

ditto, put into 2 dual channel black vue 900s, best insurance ever spent, caught a door dinger at work with it. They were shocked when I showed up with the video at their desk to say the least.

I picked up 2 x Blackvue 590's that do 1080p @ 60fps for $140 each and then 2 x Samsung High Endurance Pro 64GB for $15 a piece. Great insurance against fault, vandalism, and all around tomfoolery.

In fact, I literally caught a frame by frame rock to the windshield less than 24hrs ago. I second the opinion to at least have a dashcam, but even better to have a redundancy.

I really agree that having dashcam along with built in TeslaCam and Sentry Mode is the best way to go. I just bought a dual channel Blackvue 750 but have yet to install it because I’m dreading doing wiring on the Model X windshield. I was backed into by another SUV at a park and the other driver refused to admit it (I saw it because I was standing nearby but I didn’t have real Sentry Mode that actually records). I would buy the MCU2 upgrade in a heartbeat not for the games, not for the browser, not even for the faster speeds, but for 360 Sentry Mode, TeslaCam dashcam and for protection against the eMMC failure. Adding my Blackvue (via installer which would be $1K for the X windshield) would then be icing on the cake and not as urgent.

Do you have them pointing side to side? If so, where do they mount?

yes, I have the two main cams facing front and back with 4K resolution and the side cams are mounted in the very back passenger glass pointing out, so I have fairly close to 360 coverage, some blind spots up close, but anything 3’ out from the car I get a perfect view.

I really agree that having dashcam along with built in TeslaCam and Sentry Mode is the best way to go. I just bought a dual channel Blackvue 750 but have yet to install it because I’m dreading doing wiring on the Model X windshield. I was backed into by another SUV at a park and the other driver refused to admit it (I saw it because I was standing nearby but I didn’t have real Sentry Mode that actually records). I would buy the MCU2 upgrade in a heartbeat not for the games, not for the browser, not even for the faster speeds, but for 360 Sentry Mode, TeslaCam dashcam and for protection against the eMMC failure. Adding my Blackvue (via installer which would be $1K for the X windshield) would then be icing on the cake and not as urgent.
You can do it!
What I did/used:
a) Model X trailer brake plug
b) BlackVue Power Magic Battery Pack (B-112)
c) Model Name: DR900S-2CH

Channel/ URL [ https www youtube com/watch?v= <below>] / Title
Living TECH / youtube C6dk2dPA2-4 / Tesla Model X BlackVue Dashcam Installation - Part 3
Tesla Owners Online / youtube Leiuc5yAd6k / BlackVue Dashcam install in a Tesla Model X
Steven Peeters / youtube x36HycIk16Q / Blackvue DR900S-4CH dashcam setup in Tesla Model X

You can do it!
What I did/used:
a) Model X trailer brake plug
b) BlackVue Power Magic Battery Pack (B-112)
c) Model Name: DR900S-2CH

Channel/ URL [ https www youtube com/watch?v= <below>] / Title
Living TECH / youtube C6dk2dPA2-4 / Tesla Model X BlackVue Dashcam Installation - Part 3
Tesla Owners Online / youtube Leiuc5yAd6k / BlackVue Dashcam install in a Tesla Model X
Steven Peeters / youtube x36HycIk16Q / Blackvue DR900S-4CH dashcam setup in Tesla Model X

You are my hero, thanks for the video links!

Now just need to find a video of how to retrofit an MCU1 and it’s cluster to an MCU2 and it’s cluster... that would be pretty awesome to give those out of warranty a path to self upgrade. How much does it cost Tesla and Musk to let us order the parts or find them in wrecked cars and then retrofit ourselves. It would truly exemplify “right to repair” when fixing Yellow Border or eMMC issues for out of warranty cars.

Reactions: scottf200
You are my hero, thanks for the video links!

Now just need to find a video of how to retrofit an MCU1 and it’s cluster to an MCU2 and it’s cluster... that would be pretty awesome to give those out of warranty a path to self upgrade. How much does it cost Tesla and Musk to let us order the parts or find them in wrecked cars and then retrofit ourselves. It would truly exemplify “right to repair” when fixing Yellow Border or eMMC issues for out of warranty cars.

MCU-R-R
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/early-model-s-mcu-removal-helpful-tips-not-in-the-shop-manual.153233/

Those should be a good start. Particularly the last one. That guy needs to make more videos, he's awesome.

You could probably use an old Blood Pressure cuff in place of the air wedge. I suspect it would be easier to find.

Last edited:
RE: BlackVue Power Magic Battery Pack (B-112) --- Why do you need the extra battery?
Astute question.
1) Originally, I had a Verizon Jetpack/WiFI connected to it as well.
2) I also was using the 12v adapter socket in the console for a while (before connecting it to the trailer plug) which I do not think is always on --- Now tho with sentry mode ON the 12v adapters sockets front/rear (fridge) are always on.
3) If I ever lose my 12v battery on a roadtrip or something it is nice to have a place to charge my phone ... while waiting on hold, calling family members, etc.

Of course you knew you would be left behind in tech dust the moment you took delivery of your Tesla, right?
On this I will say, No
When we purchased the 2015, it was stated that the car could & would be upgradable as availability would allow. This was mentioned several times when questioned if the Tesla would be the last car that you would ever need to purchase. It was brought up again when questioned about upsizing the battery. This was about the time they installed a battery swapping station
s://electrek.co/2017/09/15/tesla-new-battery-swap-technology-to-deploy-trailer/.
Supposedly there wasn't a need to up exchange your battery if you could swap it, then that changed with a massive buildout of the Supercharging stations.
All of this upgradability was resolved to the point,,, 'can it be exchanged out easy, how much internal wiring would be needed' &
can it be accomplished through a firmware update.
I will see if I can find those statements in my history files, but it may be lawyer proof because it was revised in owners manual or just an Elon euphemism

I have been informed that the 85 kWh battery wasn't really a 85 but really was closer to a 78 and no, Tesla will not exchange it for a 100 because the batteries do not have the same compatible components.
The 85 is listed as a PK1 and the closet to that would be a 90 kWh battery. The 100 kWh is a PK2

Still digging

Last edited:
Hey man, I'm with you 100%. My statement was sarcasm on how Tesla just keeps lowering the bar with all the promised features. I hope I will get a usable Level 3 sometime soon but I realize they'll try to forget about MCU1 owners, if they think they can get away with it. When the time comes for a class action, I'll join if the prize is more than a measly $250 (AP2 delays). Otherwise, I guess I'll have to go to mediation/arbitration myself. And before anyone accuses me of not wanting Tesla to profit and succeed, I think they'll survive seeing that they've been pulling surprise profits combined with growth. Not to mention...a record stock price. Making the MCU1/FSD customer's whole won't bankwupt the company.

Now, again, back to MCU1 to 2 upgrades. I'd be happy to pay the $2k Elon is quoting for the following reasons, listed from most wanted to don't care.
1. Dash cam (I value 360 cam recording at $1000) I know this is dependent on AP2.5+, which all FSD customers should be getting
2. Unknown future software features that MCU1 won't get ($500ish)
3. Sentry mode recording (Another $250) Again, dependent on AP2.5+
4. Speech recognition ($100)
5. Theater apps ($60)
6. Usable browser ($50)
7. Extra Games ($5)

I doubt features 1&3 would work on an MCU1/AP3.0 combo since it might require some unique software development. If they're able to make a MCU2/AP3.0 upgrade work, I can see all us 2016-2018 owners getting most if not all features listed above.

That puts me just short of $2k in value. Of course, I'd like to wait until they figure out their permanent solution to FSD for MCU1 owners. Hoping for a free upgrade but not holding my breath. Who knows, MAYBE they can make FSD work on MCU1. I just think it's a waste of dev resources to add processor hungry features to a system that was designed in 2011! o_O In terms of Moore's law MCU1 is 4 cycles old now. Can you imagine using a phone that was designed in 2011 in 2020? Galaxy S II or Iphone 4 anyone?

have you received the ap2 delay reimbursement tho? I read the news in 2018 but no updates ever since