Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the upgrade will bring the bluetooth phone profile to 4.0 for hd calling? My 2009 Prius which is old tech sounds way better than my Tesla which is worse than useless. My new Prius has HD calling and sounds amazing on both ends. It would be awesome to have the phone profile sound good for a change.

Ironic thing is that many cell phones of the past had FM radios built into the phone, and even now many phones have chips that would allow FM radio but are not enabled by the manufactures.

I guess I'll have to go back to using my HTC One; It had a great FM radio. Old tech for a $100K car.

Whoever gets the next invitation to upgrade to MCU2, please ask the Service Center if you can purchase the Digital Tuner and have it installed at the same time they are replacing the MCU and AP? Also, please ask how much it costs to purchase the digital turner and the $$ to install it. I don't want to lose my AM/FM radios.

Thanks!
If it is the new digital tuner, I think you will lose AM. I think AM was only on the older analog tuner. Anyone know if the analog tuner will work with MCU upgrade @verygreen?

Reactions: MIT_S60
Why everybody keeps saying that? If you have FSD you'll get sentry and TeslaCam, full stop (at least this is what they wrote in the official website).
Nowhere is it written that you'll get a reduced-experience version.
If you have other sources, please explain where this is coming from.

It is confirmed that HW2 cars (like mine) have 8 B/W cameras (they are not really B/W, but are tuned to only a small set of colors).
HW2.5 and HW3 cars have 8 RGB cameras (full realistic colors)

Therefore I was inferring (no direct knowledge of it) that if they swap my MCU1 with MCU2 and HW2 with HW3 I will end up in the following hardware configuration:
MCU2+HW3+B/W cameras
as opposed to a new car that has:
MCU2+HW3+RGB cameras

One thing you will "get" that is not listed and IMHO the most important, is the fix for the flash memory that will eventually brick your car once the read/writes hit their max.

You are very right, I forgot about it.
Nevertheless, this is just an added bonus, because I have the right under European warranty system to an emmc repair in case it fails.

• Disagree
Reactions: rob4448585
Has anyone heard whether those with grandfathered lifetime premium connectivity will get to retain it after an MCU 2 upgrade?
There is nothing "grandfathered" about it. If Free Unlimited Premium Connectivity was a feature included in the purchase of your vehicle (shows on your vehicle page in your Tesla account), you have it. Period. The feature was tied to the vehicle you purchased, not a replaceable part.

Last edited: