Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have makeshift Netflix/Youtube on my MCU1. Here's how;

I purchased the HDMI input device for Model S and on the HDMI input I installed an Amazon Firestick TV. I power it through 12V lighter socket to have it provide 2,5Amps on USB. AND because it couldn't be paired with Model S bluetooth audio, I use an external bluetooth speaker for audio. Also can't use touchscreen, need to use Firestick TV remote. Also for some reason (maybe a miscontact or not enough power through USB) Firestick TV often crashes, needing a reboot. So not very convenient but if I can get it working it works while driving. (I know that is dangerous and I don't do it often when you consider how impractical the whole thing is)

Now that MCU2 upgrade seems viable for me, despite all the impracticality, not having them work while driving/heavy traffic sounds bad. lol

"tricking", are you serious?!

+1
^ And there you go, sanity resumed.

Personally, the fact Tesla have provided a hardware update for a key component of the vehicle is beyond my expectations. The price is very reasonable considering the engineering cost to do this for a limited number of vehicles in the fleet that is growing at a rate where the quarterly sales are greater than the number of cars with MCU1.

Our ancient 2013 Tesla S85 upgraded with a new MCU2 would be like a new vehicle, there are precious few cars with 250 miles range, 90 kW fast charging and 2020 infotainment with 4g unlimited data available for $40K CAD (current car value on the market, plus $3K CAD for the MCU upgrade).
Agreed. I'm sort of so-so on doing the upgrade, but they built a TON of good will with by offering it.

What I want to know is if your MCU1 fails, will they bump your priority or make you purchase another MCU1 when all it would have taken was another month to get an invite? I ask because my second MCU is showing classic signs of "about to fail".

I heard that they will offer MCU1 for a lower price ($700ish) and $2500 if you want MCU2. Doubt they would give MCU2 to everyone whose MCU1 dies for free, although some may get lucky.

I heard that they will offer MCU1 for a lower price ($700ish) and $2500 if you want MCU2. Doubt they would give MCU2 to everyone whose MCU1 dies for free, although some may get lucky.

It's not under warranty. I'm happy to pay for it if I can get it. At least it'll stop my daughter's b*#$n at me that we can't play hulu, youtube, and netflix at supercharger stops :D

Of course that will mean going from v8 to v10 so it's only something I'd do once my current MCU1.

I will lose connectivity with v8 on 5/1 when they turn off the open vpn. It's a more fuzzy decision if I would decide to upgrade an MCU1 with V10 that hasn't failed to an an MCU2.

If I could, I'd keep my MCU1 forever and not upgrade to V10. In fact, I'd pay more money for that than I would the cost to upgrade to MCU2. How sad is that :(

Reactions: whitex
Almost every time I drive out of our underground parking it takes around 3-5 minutes before the car finds a cell signal and that's when FM/AM comes in handy. With the upgrade, the start of each drive away from home will be a little quiet. Might have to invest a little time and effort and make up a USB with our favourites.
Or maybe enjoy a few moment of silence and peace. Consider it a good thing... a mini-meditation.

My body is ready!!!

I can't wait for the invite email to schedule the upgrade. I have no problem with the $2500 price point. They are going to kill two birds with one stone and upgrade me to HW3 at the same time as MCU2 (I bought FSD upon delivery).

Has anyone received an invite to schedule your upgrade yet? I would think they would start sending them the day after the announcement...

Scheduled the appointment and will get the MCU2 installed on my March 2018 built P100D X w/ FSD. I plan to keep the car for a long time and my major issue with the car was the lag on the touchscreen compared to our Model 3. The supercharging long distancs route planning and voice commands were basically broken on our car. Will get the HW3 computer at the same time. Using the entertainment features while supercharging will just be an added bonus. Can't wait! I'll miss FM but I only used it for local NPR and I think I can get it on tune in.

Streaming stations blackout sporting events - because those stations are licensed only to broadcast sports over airwaves - not over the internet.

Especially professional and major college sports, you have to get a service that supports the premium play-by-play channels to get live local and national sports. XM supports that (which we use when we're out of town, using FM/HD radio when we're in town listening to local sports). XM's streaming app has more channels, providing the option to listen to the home or away broadcasts.

TuneIn Premium also has the live sports broadcasts - but that's only available on smartphones in the car - not supported by Tesla's built-in app.

If Tesla upgraded the built-in TuneIn app so it would support premium, then a good case could be made that the radio is no longer needed - though when we're on road trips, we still occasionally hit areas with poor or non-existent data service, when the streaming apps wouldn't work.

While it's true that we have access to XM and TuneIn premium on a smartphone and can stream the audio over Bluetooth, that requires interacting with the smartphone display to navigate/change stations or control playback - which is unacceptable (especially in an MCU1 car that cost over $100K!).

However, if Musk delivered the screen mirroring he promised years ago - that would solve the problem - and shift the focus away from the built-in apps - and to providing support for the huge libraries of Apple and Android apps that run on the smartphones.

Unless Tesla provides TuneIn Premium or adds the XM streaming app, or there's an option for adding in the MCU2 compatible radio, looks like we're a NO on the upgrade - and will stick with our original plan to replace the 2017 S with the tri motor Cybertruck...

How many vehicles in the price range of S/X are offered without radios or screen mirroring??? If Tesla gets enough negative feedback on this, it's always possible they'll go back to the drawing board and come up with a radio solution (like what they did last year when they initially tried to close all of the stores/galleries...).

Reactions: KyleDay
Timing of this MCU2 upgrade is interesting. Rolling out the MCU2 upgrade at the same time as the Model Y is released. Im sure there are previous owners who were ready to give up their MCU1 MS/MX for a Y and are now going to keep their cars a little longer with the MCU2 upgrade. Nice way to reduce the flood of trade-ins / used cars and prioritize new-to-Tesla buyers of the Y while production is slowly ramping up.