Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In your logic you forgot the most likely scenario. The MCU2 Infotainment upgrade is available for a short time only, so once you miss it, you're stuck on MCU1 and refurbish ones as a $$$ replacement for out of warranty.

Not what you want to hear because you expect it to be cheaper, but let's make sure to list out all possibilities here... with this one being the more reasonable one in my opinion.

:rolleyes: Yea sure. Will reply to your post when I get this infotainment at a discount or upgraded for free. You know how it is to be an early adopter with Tesla.

In your logic you forgot the most likely scenario. The MCU2 Infotainment upgrade is available for a short time only, so once you miss it, you're stuck on MCU1 and refurbish ones as a $$$ replacement for out of warranty.

Not what you want to hear because you expect it to be cheaper, but let's make sure to list out all possibilities here... with this one being the more reasonable one in my opinion.

It has to last at least as long as it takes them to open the invitation to non FSD owners, right ? AFAIK, there is no way to commit, ie pay, for the upgrade until you receive the invitation.

Nope they still charge for it if you just want your working MCU upgraded. But if your MCU is replaced it would be included now.

I guess it will be included with the new mcu, but I was referring to some other guy who ordered the lte upgrade and when he went to get his car he did not have to pay for it. Due to carriers removing their 3g in favor of 5g.
This was a couple of months ago.
But as I said, I really don't know, my car came with lte...

FYI...my MCU-1 died on me just the other day and i had to replace it. I asked over an over for the upgraded mcu-2. I was told over and over it’s not available...even after Musk said it would be available a year or two ago.

So they gave me a refurbished mcu-1, which cost $1600.00 after installation. I said why would they give me the same piece of garbage that just broke...so I could replace it in another couple of years??

While the service techs are respectful they don’t care. My MCU needed a new part for the connectivity...I wasn’t able to listen to the radio, navigation, phone, etc...everything else worked. However, when the mobile tech connected their diagnostic tool to the car, the screen went black and nothing would work. I then had to bring it in to the Service center.

They truly don’t car...even when I argued everything, with the exception of the connectivity, worked before their tech guy plugged the diagnostic tool into the car.

Tesla doesn’t care and you have no choice, with the exception of getting rid of the car, but to pay for for it. To escalate you frustration only gets you stuck on hold and/or transfer over and over to someone who can help.

I love the car, but the company stinks.

Does this also include improvements in the ultrasonic sensor display on ic1? the half-second delay in showing me the distance in front of the bumper irritates more than a passing car delay.
I think that's mostly a limitation in the ultrasonic sensors.

Yes there's going to be a slight reduction, but don't think it'll magically be realtime.

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
While the service techs are respectful they don’t care...

Whilst I certianly have my problems with Tesla service, in my experience saying the techs dont care is a bit harsh.

Mostly they are constrained in what they can do by corporate, in addition to which they often simply have not been given the information. The only time I get needled is when they go off script and say stuff that simply is not true (more a problem with sales than service techs tbh - no surprise there). It's not unusual at all for the forums to be way ahead of official announcements through service channels.

Demanding an MCU2 to replace your MCU1 is entirely logical but if Tesla have not released your VIN for upgrade there is simply no way the tech can offer it to you, so be fair and cut him/her some slack.

Where I have a lot more sympathy though is these MCU1 eMMC failures were a predictable and unnecessary mode of failure that Tesla could have mitigated much earlier on. Tesla charging for repair/replacement is dubious imho.

Where I have a lot more sympathy though is these MCU1 eMMC failures were a predictable and unnecessary mode of failure that Tesla could have mitigated much earlier on. Tesla charging for repair/replacement is dubious imho.
Elon is following the Silicon Valley startup model where you don't spend ANY resources on a problem until it become urgent. EMMC failure was absolutely predictable, but was not addressed until it became a big issue (lots of failures, some media coverage). You can expect more of the same M.O. from Tesla in the future. Welcome to the startup valley model.

FYI...my MCU-1 died on me just the other day and i had to replace it. I asked over an over for the upgraded mcu-2. I was told over and over it’s not available...even after Musk said it would be available a year or two ago.

So they gave me a refurbished mcu-1, which cost $1600.00 after installation. I said why would they give me the same piece of garbage that just broke...so I could replace it in another couple of years??

While the service techs are respectful they don’t care. My MCU needed a new part for the connectivity...I wasn’t able to listen to the radio, navigation, phone, etc...everything else worked. However, when the mobile tech connected their diagnostic tool to the car, the screen went black and nothing would work. I then had to bring it in to the Service center.

They truly don’t car...even when I argued everything, with the exception of the connectivity, worked before their tech guy plugged the diagnostic tool into the car.

Tesla doesn’t care and you have no choice, with the exception of getting rid of the car, but to pay for for it. To escalate you frustration only gets you stuck on hold and/or transfer over and over to someone who can help.

I love the car, but the company stinks.
Sorry to hear about your whole issue and how it turned out. my experiences here in Texas have been VERY different. I’ve been treated with respect and they try as hard as they can within the bounds of what they can do according to the system they are working within.
in my opinion the only real issue I have with Tesla is just not being more forthcoming or transparent about issues like this. Or the one in China when the used the older HW chips for AP without saying anything on newer cars. I feel like if your upfront with “most” people about the issue people will respond better and some might not even mind so much as long as they know your working the issue and will have a solution at some point.
They do need to get better and hopefully they will.....but let’s not for one second think that another major OEM would have done this better when they were starting up or not tried to hide anything similarly. Plenty of examples to be found.

Another one to add is

Trying to drive 60 miles distance, but at 10mph vs. 60mph. That's how slow MCU1 is compared to MCU2.

For those who really want to understand how fast it is, go to a SC and ask to play with a Model S or Model X. Then see how fast and responsible MCU2 is to what you have right now. It is lightyears faster, more responsive, quicker, and with instant interaction.

So on this topic, I was bitching to the SC about how slow my MCU1 has become, and I thought something was very odd because the OLDER loaner that I had received had a MUCH faster MCU (yes, it was also an MCU1). I assumed mine was beginning to fail. The nice service writer lady told me to do a factory reset on it - said that the loaners are always being factory resetted, and that it will definitely make a difference.

After I left, I pulled over and did a factory reset on my car. Yes, I lost all of my settings. However, that said, the MCU was MUCH MUCH faster. Almost brand-new fast. It's been running for a couple of weeks now, and it is seriously a night and day difference. It's not MCU2 fast, but it's brand new MCU1 fast.

I strongly recommend everyone who thinks their MCU1 is unbearable (mine was) to try it.

So on this topic, I was bitching to the SC about how slow my MCU1 has become, and I thought something was very odd because the OLDER loaner that I had received had a MUCH faster MCU (yes, it was also an MCU1). I assumed mine was beginning to fail. The nice service writer lady told me to do a factory reset on it - said that the loaners are always being factory resetted, and that it will definitely make a difference.

After I left, I pulled over and did a factory reset on my car. Yes, I lost all of my settings. However, that said, the MCU was MUCH MUCH faster. Almost brand-new fast. It's been running for a couple of weeks now, and it is seriously a night and day difference. It's not MCU2 fast, but it's brand new MCU1 fast.

I strongly recommend everyone who thinks their MCU1 is unbearable (mine was) to try it.
Anyone else second this? Mine has been acting up lately and Im thinking about doing this. You lose all garage openers correct?

Anyone else second this? Mine has been acting up lately and Im thinking about doing this. You lose all garage openers correct?

Well yes you loose everything. It's like getting your new iphone with factory settings, only you cannot simply store the Tesla settings somewhere and restore of course, you will need to reprogram the door openers, phone pairing, wheel settings and your odometers will be erased etc.

My MCU does not seem to be that slow. I might consider if it were...

but what do you mean by "acting up"; eMMC issues? or is the nav maps just slow? If it is the latter you could try erasing all the navigation history; one at a time by swiping them off.

Is Tesla serious?!?
I made an appointment to get the HW3 upgraded on our Model X/MCU1.
I don’t care about games, streaming or the visualization!
I just want the FSD computer upgraded I already paid for...

This Morning I got the following text from the Tesla Service Center:

“I'm reviewing your upcoming appointment. As far as the HW3 retrotfit, this would require an upgrade to the Intel MCU which you are eligible for. This would be a cost of $2500, which includes replacement of the MCU, instrument cluster and the HW3 ecu. Would this be of interest to you?”

That means we early adopters CAN’T get our promised, free HW upgrade for the FSD future of our MCU1 car?
Didn’t they tell us that we get “all necessary hardware replaced for free” to get our car to FSD capability?

What are your thoughts on that?

Is Tesla serious?!?

“I'm reviewing your upcoming appointment. As far as the HW3 retrotfit, this would require an upgrade to the Intel MCU which you are eligible for. This would be a cost of $2500, which includes replacement of the MCU, instrument cluster and the HW3 ecu. Would this be of interest to you?”

That means we early adopters CAN’T get our promised, free HW upgrade for the FSD future of our MCU1 car?
Didn’t they tell us that we get “all necessary hardware replaced for free” to get our car to FSD capability?

They mean MCU1 with HW3 is not ready yet. Of course we have no idea how long, could be months.

Is Tesla serious?!?

What version of AP do you have? AP2.0 or AP2.5?

If you are not sure, a manufacturing date would tell us, and short of that, a delivery date.
Thx.