Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this on the tesla subreddit and am getting torn to shreds by the fanboys

Tesla subreddit is a cult.

If the wheels were falling off their cars they'd post about how great of a company Tesla is, how innovative Elon is, and how much the stock costs.

That’s why /r/realtesla exists. Sure, they can tilt to the other extreme at times, but it’s at least not a constant stream of “DAE Elon is saving the world he’s so dreamy?!?!”

Here is the post in that sub: Tesla has updated the MCU warranty to 2 years/25k miles. Very sleazy move : RealTesla

Reactions: Dreamontom99
It’s worth mentioning that the parts warranty doc used to say nothing about the MCU at all, making it subject to the base 12 month 12.5k warranty that any other part was. It was fairly recently that the verbiage was changed to give the MCU a 4 year warranty.

Many many had out of warranty replacements under the old 1 year terms. If they had increased the MCU warranty to 2 years out of the gate (vs 4 and then backtracking to 2) this story would have a very different tone...

It’s worth mentioning that the parts warranty doc used to say nothing about the MCU at all, making it subject to the base 12 month 12.5k warranty that any other part was. It was fairly recently that the verbiage was changed to give the MCU a 4 year warranty.

Many many had out of warranty replacements under the old 1 year terms. If they had increased the MCU warranty to 2 years out of the gate (vs 4 and then backtracking to 2) this story would have a very different tone...
I think that's an American phenomenon. In Europe, or atleast in Norway, you always get 5 years on repairs that are normally supposed to last for more than 2 years. Such as engine controllers, gearboxes etc... including MCU. It's the consumer protection laws designed to avoid the market swarming with cheap offers without warranty or with a short warranty.

Regarding the radio upgrade/reprovisioning, if I understand correctly, the gateway configuration is stored on the eMMC, right? And you can use JTAG to access the raw eMMC data, right? And the string we have to update ("ethernettunertype 1") appears in an unencrypted plain text file, and the only change required is to change a 1 to a 0, right?

If so, it seems like it should be really trivial to write a generic configuration tool that talks to an off-the-shelf JTAG programmer, scans the entire eMMC for that string, and updates that byte in place wherever it occurs, no? Is there any reason that this approach wouldn't work?

Reactions: Krash
So not sure if mentioned yet, but I just found out from my SC today when car was in shop for flat tire that they're starting the upgrade on ap1 cars... .. so now to decide if I want to get now or wait a little while. Probably better now then in a few months when I have birthdays and xmas to deal with. Not to mention I read from another thread that the new screens arent any different then older ones and I dont see ant bubbling or yellow so probably just save the 250 and keep my screen?

Regarding the radio upgrade/reprovisioning, if I understand correctly, the gateway configuration is stored on the eMMC, right? And you can use JTAG to access the raw eMMC data, right? And the string we have to update ("ethernettunertype 1") appears in an unencrypted plain text file, and the only change required is to change a 1 to a 0, right?

No it is stored on the separate gateway computer. It isn't part of the actual MCU computer.

Reactions: drklain
I got the upgrade last week, I noticed this on my car too. They actually somehow warped my upper trim so they are replacing it on the 8th, I'm hoping it will help with the issue.

BTW, nice username, OSU alum here! Go Beavs!

Let me know how they do fixing it. I actually had mine go in after the first attempt. They replaced the entire dashmat (Since the trim was warped really bad) however I still feel like the dashmat is not attached correctly. I can feel a small bump above the MCU (see picture - kind of hard to see the bump) and it seems to rattle a lot more.

I hope they do a better job on your second attempt. And Go Beavs haha

Attachments

• B6F25997-8545-469A-A1AB-C4B2E690E0A0.jpeg
    B6F25997-8545-469A-A1AB-C4B2E690E0A0.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 93
No it is stored on the separate gateway computer. It isn't part of the actual MCU computer.

Ah. I missed that you have to run a tool after rooting the device. In that case, how about doing the above, plus picking one of the rc scripts that runs at boot time, and adding a line

/bin/service-redeploy​

to cause the Tesla to upload your modifier configuration? Is there a reason that this approach won't work?

Alternatively, root your MCU1 first (that's easier, right?) and then push the configuration prior to getting the MCU2 upgrade. Presumably they copy the data from the old MCU, so they would just copy the modified configuration. No?

So not sure if mentioned yet, but I just found out from my SC today when car was in shop for flat tire that they're starting the upgrade on ap1 cars... .. so now to decide if I want to get now or wait a little while. Probably better now then in a few months when I have birthdays and xmas to deal with. Not to mention I read from another thread that the new screens arent any different then older ones and I dont see ant bubbling or yellow so probably just save the 250 and keep my screen?

Hope that's true! Have an appointment scheduled to replace my MCU on July 24th. Quoted over $3100 for another MCU1!! Been pushing out appointments since my MCU died in March. Due to COVID we've been able to get by on one car. Rather pay $2500 for an MCU2 than $3100 for anther MCU1. Sucks to lose AM/FM but willing to lose it for the MCU2.

Reactions: bubafett
Yes, sentry mode recording works great. I captured a semi nearly wiping out yesterday. The web browser is great. I use the EVE teslapps as well as the Tesla waze page
I am sorry I posted this, EVE is a scam. I got locked out of my account since there is something wrong with their password reset function and they won’t answer emails. This meant I was charged for a full year because I could not cancel the service and I can’t use it.

Otherwise (with the exception of some glitchy audio the other day), the upgrade to the new MCU is fabulous!

Reactions: ahkahn and Michelx
I did overhear that Highland Park was going to be doing AP1 cars starting in July. The techs were pretty worried that they're going to be overwhelmed.

I would think they probably will be overwhelmed, especially one Tesla updates their infotainment page that says you can schedule your AP1 car for the upgrade.

Since my appointment been in the books for several months and my model year is specifically mentioned in the NHTSA complaint I hoping I can be one of the first. Will start bugging the Service Center next week. Sucks that you can only reach them via text.

After waffling for a long time on whether or not to upgrade to MCU2 or get an eMMC replacement I booked my appointment for the upgrade yesterday. The apparent inclusion of AP HW 3, even though I don't have FSD (EAP only), was enough to push me over the edge. Service Center responded right away and said they've ordered the parts.

Are you sure they including HW 3.0 as part of MCU upgrade? seems not necessary. but if they do it's a great deal. too bad, I already purchased FSD last month when it was offered at $3K.

Reactions: boonedocks