Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same with Scottsdale Az, they pushed it out 3-4 times eventually taking 5 weeks to get the parts. But their communication was proactive and clear, plus they did the upgrade in a single day while I waited. I rate them four stars (would be five if they didn't have the delays getting mcu2).
Good. My service appointment is Scottsdale as well. I am on week number 3 since they ordered the part.

Got confirmation for the MCU2 upgrade. Sine they have to order the parts they pushed out my appointment from July 24 to August 5. Really excited to get this done on our AP1 Model S since it’s been sitting in our garage since March when our eMMC went bad. Our IC began delaminating so it’s another reason I waited since the IC gets replaced too. They were quoting $3100 to replace the MCU1 with another one . New quote of ~$2700 for a MCU2 and a new IC is worth losing AM/FM for us. It will be done at the Van Nuys SC.

Maybe. They said they didn't have the screens when I took mine in (Notified me of this a day or so before I was to take it in), but said I could wait for the screens if I wanted to pay the $2500 or I could pay $2250 and keep my screen. Since my current (replaced for yellowing a while back) screen seems to be OK I went with that option.

"Maybe/probably no" they won't replace your 17" screen as they are back-ordered per my service center. Earlier in the month, they told me even though they ordered the -A part that Tesla was only sending the -B part w/no touchscreen. Mirlen, did you have yours done at the Devon, PA SC or Wilmington, DE SC? I had my '17 Model S updated on 7/3/20 from MCU1 to MCU2 and HW2.0 to HW3.0 FSD at the Wilmington, DE SC. The nice thing about DE is there is no tax so it was $2500. They had sent me their Estimate pdf which listed the -A part number as "Info Upgrad wit Replacement Touchscren(1582613-00-A) $2500" which I had accepted. The day of the install, they txt me to say we will need an extra 5 hours to perform the UV treatment on my existing Touchscreen and it would only be $2250. I told them my estimate included the -A part number with Replacement Touchscreen and that was what I wanted. I asked the manager to call me. The service writer responded that she was able to replace the 17" touchscreen with one they had in stock. I was fortunate they had one in stock. The only problem I had with the Infotainment/FSD install was they forgot to plug in the front USB ports connector. Neither of them worked. The rear USB ports did work. They did fix it.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
"Maybe/probably no" they won't replace your 17" screen as they are back-ordered per my service center. Earlier in the month, they told me even though they ordered the -A part that Tesla was only sending the -B part w/no touchscreen. Mirlen, did you have yours done at the Devon, PA SC or Wilmington, DE SC? I had my '17 Model S updated on 7/3/20 from MCU1 to MCU2 and HW2.0 to HW3.0 FSD at the Wilmington, DE SC. The nice thing about DE is there is no tax so it was $2500. They had sent me their Estimate pdf which listed the -A part number as "Info Upgrad wit Replacement Touchscren(1582613-00-A) $2500" which I had accepted. The day of the install, they txt me to say we will need an extra 5 hours to perform the UV treatment on my existing Touchscreen and it would only be $2250. I told them my estimate included the -A part number with Replacement Touchscreen and that was what I wanted. I asked the manager to call me. The service writer responded that she was able to replace the 17" touchscreen with one they had in stock. I was fortunate they had one in stock. The only problem I had with the Infotainment/FSD install was they forgot to plug in the front USB ports connector. Neither of them worked. The rear USB ports did work. They did fix it.

How long was the wait for MCU2 parts?

Just to update everyone.
2017 Model S 75D with AP2 upgrading to MCU2 and FSD. Today marks the 6th day in the service center and they are nowhere close to complete. They keep telling me they continue to run into firmware issues.

Costa Mesa service center.

Happened to me. At 6th day they gave up and installed new mcu1. I hope you get more success. My second attempt took 2 hours total.

They gave you a new refurbished mcu1 because hw3 wouldn't work?

No. My MCU1 died and I wanted mcu2. They tried (back in May) and failed and ordered a new MCU1 that the part claimed was hw2.2 5 and 3.0 compatible. A month later I tried again and succeeded for MCU2 and HW3.

Incidentally back in May they claimed it was the hw3 that created firmware issues and not the MCU2.

I managed to speak with a service advisor over text and of course he said no MCU2 available, as well as no ETA for new ones.

If someone does get an MCU2, please post in this thread.

Not sure if my MCU1 is nearing the end of the line, but besides general slowness I haven't seen over 1 bar signal in a while.

+adding Agoura Hills SC
Do you by chance have a copy of the estimate with parts ordered? I've been trying to get my SC to order parts but they keep telling me the upgrade isn't available. Maybe they'll listen if I can show them an almost identical car with the upgrade being installed at a service center relatively close. My car is a 2017 75D MCU1/AP2 with full self driving.

My 2015 70D is being replaced. Just got an email they ordered the parts.

MCU INTEL UPGRADE-For TegraAP1.0 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874564-00-B

what this -A vs -B I see people are talking about on this thread?
Without display:
a511AX6.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
kevinf311 said:
Do you know what the manufacture date of your buddy's AP1 car is? I was able to at least schedule an appointment with Owings Mills for an AP1.0 upgrade to MCU2 (March 2015 S85) though I haven't heard anything past the estimate of repairs. I will note that the part number I had in my estimate ended in -A vs the -B we've been seeing. I figure your referencing plural part #s means you were already tracking that, though.

The only other oddity I can think of is what was referenced a few posts back about the power liftgate. I have it (along with all the other Tech Pkg goodies that came during that era of options reshuffling) and appear to be moving forward with the service visit at the end of the month but if your friend does not, then perhaps there are other nuances that will keep them from being eligible. I seem to remember the progression of power liftgate inclusion had more than a few different names and co-technologies after finally being made a standard inclusion some time after our purchases.

Definite fingers crossed for me as this is my only car and I sorta need it for all those car things it does. Tesla had my address wrong in the estimate, but since the resent it again today (still wrong address) I went ahead and accepted it. Not sure that has any bearing on any timelines.

Good luck to your friend!
Thanks... I'm not sure.. I'll ask him.

The wiring harness possibility jumped out at me because when he installed his sub, it appears that he had some changes in his harness that were "in between" a couple of the wiring diagrams he found...

I'll ask him about the tailgate too.

Thanks for chiming in.
Following up to your question @kevinf311 , his car is a face-lifted AP1 2016 75D that he got about 3 weeks before AP2 was brought out. So it's a relativley late AP1 car, which I would have thought made a MCU2 upgrade more likely than an early car...