Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2 rear door speakers are the culprits. They are very soft (1/2 volume) and have ABSOLUTELY NO BASS even if the EQ is set to 8 on bass. The front 3 speakers thump with bass and the rear 2 door speakers nothing.

Check your "Dolby Audio" setting. I have an early 2014 Model S MCU1 with premium audio, and if I have Dolby Audio turned ON, the rear speakers are soft with very little bass - kind of like they are surround sound speakers in a home theater setup. If I turn Dolby Audio OFF, the rear speakers are balanced like a traditional car stereo setup.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tes*la*rosa
@Akikiki
Got mine done today.
Overall the sc did a good job.
All settings saved.
Homelink reprogram.
Add phone Bluetooth
Wifi add

Phone apps work. Lock and unlock.
Did not check summon yet.
On pick up it was raining and contactless. So just check phone apps and left.
Noticed rim rashes when got home.
I planned to take exterior photos butdid not.
I did interior yesterday. Inside all looks good.

Rear camera dark as mentioned by others.

Voice commands smooth.
Internet and maps refresh smooth.
Netflix screen is quite small. Wished it is like YouTube.

You are right. Upgrade is worth it.

Many thanks for your input.

You tube ok.

@sonofagunn , I don't have a Dolby setting as I have the standard, not premium audio.

Is this problem obvious? Does it happened a to all MCU1 standard audio cars? I wonder if MCU2 assumed all cars have premium audio (which may have been standard by the time MCU2 rolled out) and applied a low pass to rear speakers expecting the sub to take the actual base. Of course the sub isn’t connected as standard audio cars didn’t have a separate sub, resulting in lack of base. I can’t explain the low volume but perhaps it is because it was expecting 2 more rear speakers that are now missing?

anyone know if automated email for part ordering from Tesla part would show ever send a shipping date? Or you would just get the SMS notification from SC once part arrived? I am getting the automated email from the system every few days but latest is still pending:

MCU INTEL UPGRADE-For TegraAP1.0 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874564-00-A
Order Date: August 3, 2020
Ship Date: Pending

Is this problem obvious? Does it happened a to all MCU1 standard audio cars? I wonder if MCU2 assumed all cars have premium audio (which may have been standard by the time MCU2 rolled out) and applied a low pass to rear speakers expecting the sub to take the actual base. Of course the sub isn’t connected as standard audio cars didn’t have a separate sub, resulting in lack of base. I can’t explain the low volume but perhaps it is because it was expecting 2 more rear speakers that are now missing?

Mine is standard and sounds great. Even more bass than with mcu1.

anyone know if automated email for part ordering from Tesla part would show ever send a shipping date? Or you would just get the SMS notification from SC once part arrived? I am getting the automated email from the system every few days but latest is still pending:

Mine went straight from “pending” to “delivered”, so yes it does change.

Reactions: snail3
@Silicon Desert desert, @Topgun66 is correct, don't make fun of the situation.
Well if we can't have a little fun here, then I am in the wrong place. I am not saying topfun66 is incorrect. Just saying I don't have trouble with sound. You might want to read that post again with a different viewpoint. :) Seems like some folks are having trouble, and hope you get your fixed. I will be interested in understanding why it occurs to some cars.

Last edited:
nice! thanks yes I can see there is a significant difference it would be worth it I would think. if I order them and swap them out do I need to have a ranger do some thing to the SW for it to recognize it or are they " plug and play?"
Please check out this thread Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade where the discussion of the camera upgrades are taking place.

Reactions: Akikiki
Got my MCU1->MCU2 upgrade done on my 2015 AP1.0 Model S last week. Since the rear camera conversation was already underway before my appointment I decided I'd get some comparison shots so I went out at night and took a couple pictures of the rear camera display in my garage (don't judge the mess!) while I still had MCU1 and then took the same pictures on the new MCU2 installation. Picture is labeled but they're shots of the camera with just the ambient light in the garage which was fairly dark but light enough for me to not trip over something, then with the brake depressed for brake lights, and then with the reverse lights on as well. The headlights were set to "off" though there was still some forward facing light...
View attachment 577461

As you can see, in no/low light the image is pretty useless, but if there is some brake or reverse light emitted then the image is about as usable as it was before. So biggest deal is you can't creep on anything behind you with the car in park but you'll still be ok if you need to back out of a space/driveway/escape route.

As an update to this post, I got a chance to drive around a bit in different lighting last night and the camera being darker was quite noticeable (I'm one of those weirdos that keeps the rear camera up all the time :D ).

Unfortunately, I did not think to grab "action shots" while driving my MCU1 car so no pretty comparison picture this time, but anecdotally the darker image from the rear camera made it much harder to use it as a rear view and side view mirror supplement when changing lanes on the highway. I often relied on the bright IR enhanced camera image to doublecheck my mirror sighting since driving at night in the age of OMGBLIND headlights and high mounted headlights or just a rash of everyone driving with their high-beams on for some reason my mirrors are all auto-dimmed 100% of the time I'm on the road with other cars.

A positive note to that end, as described above about headlights (seriously, why are they all like 47billion lumens now?), the rear camera no longer is washed out and glowing brightly by headlights of cars directly behind you. I think I'd prefer the blinding light to the increased chance that a stealth car slips into my blind spot after my clearance checks that doesn't show up on the camera.

Anyone smarter than me able to tell what in the image processing between the MCU1 and MCU2 changed? Hardware is obviously the same so the span of wavelengths/frequencies being picked up by the camera sensor or filtered by the lens haven't changed, it's all on the signal processing side. I thought I remembered that the backup camera was more or less a dump of the video stream into the MCU and that's why it took firing a whole crew of engineers to get backup lines on our cars. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: croman
As I understand it, with MCU1 the rear camera image went directly to the screen. With MCU2, the cable has to go to the image processor on the MCU2 first, then that processed signal gets redirected to the screen.
Those were Pre-AP1 and AP1 days. Back when the rear camera came up the left side of the car. When we got to AP2.0, the cable came up the right side of the car and fed into HW2.0 APE and then into the screen. Those of us that install the front camera kit intercepted the signal coming out of APE 2.0 before it went to the screen. This was all done on the right hand side /glove box side of the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA

They do actually. I received a shipping date a week after order date.

Report from my neighbor that upgraded 2017 MX from AP2 to AP3 with infotainment upgrade (new MCU2)

I went down there with him to pick up the car and we drove around awhile. They did a really nice job; no misalignment of anything; didn't mess up his white interior; all his settings got transferred, and the cameras calibrated in less than 5 miles.

HOWEVER, we noticed that the cellular signal strength sucks. Half the time no connection at all and when there is a connection, maybe 1 or 2 bars at most So no surprise that his voice commands won't work well and a couple other things that depend on cell connectivity. I assume they forgot to connect the cellular cable or something like that. No, it is not something that a reboot solved. He set up an appointment to go back and have them look at it. Other than that, I'd say it was a good of a job that they did on my car last month, but I did not have any issues with cellular connectivity.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and Michelx
Does this happen only on MCU2 upgraded vehicles or does this also happen on 2020 Model S/X?
I can't speak for Raven but in my late '18 X that came with MCU2 from the factory, the backup cam has been much darker at night from the beginning compared to the MCU1 Model S my X replaced. So much so that I even noted it with the service center to check as part of my post purchase fix list. Service checked it and claimed it was in spec.

Reading all the other complaints here about the dark backup cam over the years, I assume it's just a MCU2 thing. Especially now that MCU1 to MCU2 upgraded people are noticing the same darkness, it's pretty clearly something to do with MCU2 and not the actual camera hardware. That said, MCU1 cars had a good backup image at night, but lost that with the MCU2 upgrade, so I'm hopeful it could be fixed with software. Perhaps it's time for a tweet barrage at Elon regarding the matter.

But to reitereate, during the daylight hours I don't see any difference in backup camera performance between the two. The darkness issue is only noticeable once the sun sets or in dark garages.

Reactions: croman