Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is testing new tail lights for the Model S refresh.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current hatch has square holes behind the appliqué. This “new” hatch looks like the old one, just without the plastic strip and squared holes. The shape of the lights look exactly the same. Charge flap is bigger but the housing is the same size and shape.

There’s a good chance that the tail lights will fit, will it look flush with a modified rear appliqué strip? That’s a mystery. If you look at the left tail light in the spy pic, it looks like the tail light protrudes slightly at the appliqué area, but I’m not 100% sure. Then there will be the wiring problem. I wonder if Tesla planned ahead and the current taillight wiring will allow the retrofit

If this can’t be retrofitted, I guess I’ll buy a new Plaid. I’d rather not, I like my white/wood interior. FML

Attachments

• 6A519192-6FB4-4135-BDF9-3B335B6A4D23.jpeg
    6A519192-6FB4-4135-BDF9-3B335B6A4D23.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 568
  • D48D188B-5DA1-4E2B-84F7-8BC906BD3324.jpeg
    D48D188B-5DA1-4E2B-84F7-8BC906BD3324.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 1D800D94-3FCA-474B-B8AE-69B60E398F88.jpeg
    1D800D94-3FCA-474B-B8AE-69B60E398F88.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Reactions: IslandStyle
Current hatch has square holes behind the appliqué. This “new” hatch looks like the old one, just without the plastic strip and squared holes. The shape of the lights look exactly the same. Charge flap is bigger but the housing is the same size and shape.

There’s a good chance that the tail lights will fit, will it look flush with a modified rear appliqué strip? That’s a mystery. If you look at the left tail light in the spy pic, it looks like the tail light protrudes slightly at the appliqué area, but I’m not 100% sure. Then there will be the wiring problem. I wonder if Tesla planned ahead and the current taillight wiring will allow the retrofit

If this can’t be retrofitted, I guess I’ll buy a new Plaid. I’d rather not, I like my white/wood interior. FML
As much as new lights are welcome, I can't imagine buying a new Plaid just for them. I'll wait a few years and probably upgrade when there's more meaningful changes.

As much as new lights are welcome, I can't imagine buying a new Plaid just for them. I'll wait a few years and probably upgrade when there's more meaningful changes.
I get it. It’s extreme. This taillight thing has been bothering me for years. I promised to myself not to buy an S until they update the rear end, then I saw the Plaid’s new interior and capitulated.

I even bought a set of S taillights to tinker with and mod to hopefully give it that smooth diffused look. Guess I’m giving up on that project lol

Reactions: WilliamG
I have an order for April Delivery. If this starts gaining traction and legitimizes, I’ll wait. I think it’s not an IF but more a WHEN. I’m sure Tesla planned to keep some improvements for 2022 and again 2023…keep refreshing. It’s how they maintain the ‘newness’ year after year.

Coming from a 3 and Y, I was wondering why the refreshed S tail light look dated and was curious how soon Tesla would update them. Sort of like when Y came out without heated steering and old center console, then 6-7 months later, bam

At this point, I am willing to wait than taking my January delivery if it is not updated by then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701

Agree. What we really need is for Texas to come online and for Fremont to retool it's S line(s). Fighting chance for quality to take a serious move forward.

But even then, all the "refresh refresh" threads will be full of people waiting for the 4680s. It will never end.

Reactions: Ciaopec
@Destiny1701 Apparently so... My MYP has matrix LEDs; my MSP has, well, has shite for headlights. It also has the $80,000 vibration feature that my MYP and M3+ don't/didn't have.
Makes me wonder about my April S LR order. I’ve had 3 S’s since 2015…90D, 100D and P100D. 90 and P100 both had vibration issues that drove me nuts. Never just had the new smooth highway feel from day 1. The 100D a bit luckier.

If this is what it is now, I’m uncertain. Add in 2012 rears and 2016 front lights and I have to wonder. New interior sold me but looking at the same rear end since 2012 is teeth clenching.

Reactions: GeoX750
Makes me wonder about my April S LR order. I’ve had 3 S’s since 2015…90D, 100D and P100D. 90 and P100 both had vibration issues that drove me nuts. Never just had the new smooth highway feel from day 1. The 100D a bit luckier.

If this is what it is now, I’m uncertain. Add in 2012 rears and 2016 front lights and I have to wonder. New interior sold me but looking at the same rear end since 2012 is teeth clenching.
@Destiny1701 I hear you. I have had zero SC calls on the M3+ (owned for three years) and this new MYP. Over 10 on this Plaid. Aside from the acceleration, it's not worth it, IMHO. YMMV.

From where I sit while I'm driving, I can't see the tail lights. The law says they must function a certain way and have a certain number of square inches of red light when in use, so I don't get the excitement. Seems like a ploy to sell new Model Ss to the public, especially to those who "MUST HAVE" everything that looks new.

My car's a year old. I am NOT going to go buy a new one because of how a tail light looks.

I hear you. I have had zero SC calls on the M3+ (owned for three years) and this new MYP. Over 10 on this Plaid. Aside from the acceleration, it's not worth it, IMHO. YMMV.
The acceleration. And the suspension. The lower noise floor. More and larger screens. The ventilated seats. The range, and charging speed. Yoke is debatable, but kinda cool to some.

But the MYP is pretty good, too. :)

Reactions: 1Pt21Giga
Wouldn't the light assembly need to be larger to house an EU-required CCS2 port? If so, then the new rear light assembly itself would not be a drop-in replacement for existing owners.
After studying the pics, comparing size and shape to scale with the current S tails, I can say for sure that the size and shape are exactly the same. They are simply making the side charge port door a bigger part of the assembly

Attachments

• 60C744A6-F17F-4138-8ABC-10EBAC85D39D.jpeg
    60C744A6-F17F-4138-8ABC-10EBAC85D39D.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 208
I wonder how long it will take for these changes to make it into delivered vehicles? Six months? I’m sure they want to use up all the old “crap,” before rolling this change in.

Wonder what other manufacturing or component improvements may be getting rolled in as well? Thoughts? Discussion.
Larger charge port area to accommodate a CCS connector perhaps.