Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is testing new tail lights for the Model S refresh.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they are backward compatible, then it would be all the way back to 2012, which I highly doubt they will do.
The current tail lights date all the way back so unlikely they will make a part that allows for every single S on the road today to upgrade to a new look.
That would be counter intuitive to obsolescence doctrine and ensuring past owners upgrade.
Thinking like a massive corporation...not a single consumer...

Reactions: jebinc
If they are backward compatible, then it would be all the way back to 2012, which I highly doubt they will do.
The current tail lights date all the way back so unlikely they will make a part that allows for every single S on the road today to upgrade to a new look.
That would be counter intuitive to obsolescence doctrine and ensuring past owners upgrade.
Thinking like a massive corporation...not a single consumer...
Shape looks to be exactly the same. The only thing stopping it would be the wiring for charge port and lights

Shape looks to be exactly the same. The only thing stopping it would be the wiring for charge port and lights
Other than no chrome or black strip at the rear...which juts into the current light housing. If they remove the black/chrome strip and make the new light without the indent, it won't work. Taking off the strip on a current model S is not tenable.
We can always hope but again, doesn't seem likely a company would allow every single S on the road to be upgradable in this manner.
No one would upgrade lol.

Other than no chrome or black strip at the rear...which juts into the current light housing. If they remove the black/chrome strip and make the new light without the indent, it won't work. Taking off the strip on a current model S is not tenable.
We can always hope but again, doesn't seem likely a company would allow every single S on the road to be upgradable in this manner.
No one would upgrade lol.
It looks like the “new” hatch has the same indent but without punched out square clip holes behind the strip. It also looks like the light sticks out of the hatch indent instead of having an indent in itself. It’s possible to shorten the current strip and sand the ends, then paint. Or someone can make an aftermarket piece.

Completely not happening. At least anytime soon. This image suggests totally new rear/boot along with new integrated spoiler.
Kind of. My 2022 has the same “spoiler”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 179
I’m sure backwards compatibility is of zero concern to Tesla, both in terms of making it possible or impossible. There’s zero impact to Tesla either way, given the current state of the universe for them.

Here is what is very likely:
- major hard attachment points (attachment to fenders/body) are probably the same.
- different center appliqué on the hatch is a minor issue that can be resolved easily in the aftermarket
- larger space for charge port for EU CCS combo plug is probably a priority
- since that requires a significant change to the taillight’s physical design, they will take the opportunity to update the overall taillight design to align with current design philosophy (diffused led, etc)
- since Tesla uses a bus to drive all electrical items now, if the old taillights don’t use that bus they will update to the bus in the new taillight.
- even if the current taillights do use the same bus, that won’t mean the new taillights will be plug and play with old cars since the lighting controller will minimally need different code for a different end point module.
- difference in charge port might be a major problem for plug and play into an old S.

Tldr: backwards compatibility odds are less than 50/50.

Here is what is very likely:
- major hard attachment points (attachment to fenders/body) are probably the same.
- different center appliqué on the hatch is a minor issue that can be resolved easily in the aftermarket
- larger space for charge port for EU CCS combo plug is probably a priority
- since that requires a significant change to the taillight’s physical design, they will take the opportunity to update the overall taillight design to align with current design philosophy (diffused led, etc)
- since Tesla uses a bus to drive all electrical items now, if the old taillights don’t use that bus they will update to the bus in the new taillight.
- even if the current taillights do use the same bus, that won’t mean the new taillights will be plug and play with old cars since the lighting controller will minimally need different code for a different end point module.
- difference in charge port might be a major problem for plug and play into an old S.

Tldr: backwards compatibility odds are less than 50/50.
About the wiring thing. The Model Y got a taillight refresh last year. They separated the turn signal from the brake light. It was 4 wires instead of the old 3. Someone retrofitted it and was able to tap the 4th turn signal wire into the side turn signal wiring. That will likely be required here

About the wiring thing. The Model Y got a taillight refresh last year. They separated the turn signal from the brake light. It was 4 wires instead of the old 3. Someone retrofitted it and was able to tap the 4th turn signal wire into the side turn signal wiring. That will likely be required here
Yes, but that was tweaking a 1-2 year old design.

For the MS, we're talking about updating a 10 year-old design and replacing the charge port, and possibly altering the form factor. (Yes, I know you guess otherwise from pixel peeping. You might be right, but I would not rule it out.)

My guess- retro fit is possible for the `21 models.
Maybe Tesla swaps them for free for the current refresh owners which were f****ed at this point and have a defacto "old" car now.
Everyone else will be left out, though in the future I can see translator adapters and adapter kits popping up to retrofit these to the older cars. This doesn´t solve bridging the missing chrome strip, so at least a new complete hatch or a body shop to fill this out is required.
And for now the "new" headlights look pretty cheap and Japanese aftermarket. Toyota/Mazda 2012 anyone?