Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And then there‘s this sort of review of Doug DeMuro’s review, and the Model 3:
The author, Alex Roy, implies that DeMuro’s review was essentially “aw shucks clickbait” that missed the essential secret of Tesla’s impending disruption and dominance of the world automobile market. Alex Roy’s piece is writerly and insightful at points:

“One thing is certain: When the auto sector as we know it is annihilated, it will be because of the Model 3. Based on what I experienced, everything in the Model 3 will be duplicated by everyone else, except for the public relations and mythology, which no automaker outside of the hypercar circles understand.”

That last line sums up the mystique of the Tesla brand that infuses Elon’s affordable car, created by the hypercar-crushing ludicrous Models S and X. Does the author have confidence in Tesla and the Model 3?

“In an increasingly commoditized world, brand is everything. By that standard, Tesla has already won. Every Model 3 would literally have to explode on opening the door for the brand to take a hit, and even then it probably wouldn’t matter. Tesla holds too many cards—good, bad and unknown—to lose. What is “winning” and “losing” for a poker player as good as Elon Musk, who can afford to come back to the table over and over? As long as the Model 3 is halfway decent—and it's clearly far better than that—Tesla will survive.”

Lots of interesting ideas and tidbits here. And Alex Roy's other articles look interesting as well - Alex Roy
Thanks for pointing this out Alex.

I think we're getting a little too far away from the utilitarian households buying M3, who'll ask "Does it fit my needs?" Roy is over-confident in brand, in my opinion. There's no substitute, right now, and that's why all the basking in the sun. If anything, Musk gets the creed for sustainable solutions, but then started losing it with the head-long rush to Autonomous drive. Driver assisted technologies are great, but if you're playing a greater game, as implied by M3's interior and Musk's statements, you are proposing something entirely different from electric drive (Even in DeMuro's test, he isn't pleased by the screen). In Vegas, we just rapidly saw this key Level 5 scenario play out: "Human" cited, for something two human drivers would probably have avoided, and for which a chorus of AV proponents wieghed in, "If the other car were an AV, this wouldn't have happened". OK, then. What next? What am I signing up for, other than data that will be used against the human race if this new screen distracts me?

Last edited:
I think we're getting a little too far away from the utilitarian households buying M3, who'll ask "Does it fit my needs?" Roy is over-confident in brand, in my opinion. There's no substitute, right now, and that's why all the basking in the sun.
I think Roy is right because he is alluding to the long game. Tesla is light years ahead of the competition and will remain so. EM is working on new technologies, right now, that have yet to see the light of day. I had dinner last night with an acquaintance who told me he has incorporated a start-up company a year ago that focuses on a new battery technology. He said that EM is well aware of these new technologies and EM is working in parallel. My friend said that Li-ion batteries are state of the art right now but it is old technology. These newer technologies are still under testing, research, and development and not ready for release to the press. So far they are getting a 67% success rate and improving that success rate on a regular basis but they will not go public until they have a 100% success rate. And that is all I am at liberty to say right now.

(Even in DeMuro's test, he isn't pleased by the screen).
DeMuro is obviously a traditional ICE guy and a relic of the past. He doesn't get it and likes lots of physical buttons, switches, and instrument binnacles. Just as some people had trouble accepting the cell phone concept, laptop computers, and digital files, there will be those that are too stuck in the past to understand the significance of the Tesla U.I.

In my opinion, Roy sounds like a typical Tesla fanboy, totally phased out of reality.

Sure, the Model 3 will be a gamechanger, there is no denying that. Sure, Tesla was and is the main driver towards a BEV-only future, and that is a very positive thing. There is absolutely no denying all the positive aspects of Tesla and their mission.

But I always get annoyed when someone like Roy (or T34ME for that matter) gets totally swept away by his fanboyism and fails to admit the negative aspects. After all, neither Elon, nor Tesla, nor their vehicles are perfect and flawless. To me, Roy makes it sound like they were.

I much prefer Doug's honest review, which also mentions some "quirks" that even people who love the Model 3 might dislike - if perhaps only just at first, before getting used to the different approach.

Last edited:
I think Roy is right because he is alluding to the long game. Tesla is light years ahead of the competition and will remain so. EM is working on new technologies, right now, that have yet to see the light of day. I had dinner last night with an acquaintance who told me he has incorporated a start-up company a year ago that focuses on a new battery technology. He said that EM is well aware of these new technologies and EM is working in parallel. My friend said that Li-ion batteries are state of the art right now but it is old technology. These newer technologies are still under testing, research, and development and not ready for release to the press. So far they are getting a 67% success rate and improving that success rate on a regular basis but they will not go public until they have a 100% success rate. And that is all I am at liberty to say right now.

DeMuro is obviously a traditional ICE guy and a relic of the past. He doesn't get it and likes lots of physical buttons, switches, and instrument binnacles. Just as some people had trouble accepting the cell phone concept, laptop computers, and digital files, there will be those that are too stuck in the past to understand the significance of the Tesla U.I.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but what you "are at liberty to say right now" (which makes it sound like some 007 for-your-eyes-only subject) is no secret at all.
We live near a battery tech company that has R&D going for many years, and they basically said what you alluded to years ago. Elon is not the be all and end all of the BEV world. He sure is an important "driver" of the change towards sustainable transport and I love that. I wouldn't have a day one Model 3 reservation if I didn't believe in his vision and his competence in achieving his goals.
But one has to be realistic as well, and I think Doug's review perfectly sums up what "normal" people will see in the Model 3 and how they will look at it.

And by the way, I couldn't disagree more with your statement that he "doesn't get it and likes lots of physical buttons, switches, and instrument binnacles".
Where in his review did you get that idea?
Doug raves about how cool the car is, and how revolutionary the interor and the user interface is. He never says he would prefer physical buttons. Just look at his final "Doug-score", the best of any car in that price range up to now. Doesn't sound like he "doesn't get it" at all.

All he said was that
a) he is used to having gauges in his line of sight, so if he had a Model 3 is might take some getting used to (well that's obvious, isn't it?)
b) the rear doors have no manual door release should the battery fail. That is true and he just mentioned it, saying someone trapped in the back would have to climb to the front seats and open the manual release there. Perfectly valid description of the situation, without making an explicit negative comment about it.

To me, Doug sounded very taken by the Model 3.

My wife, who is not hanging on every scrap of news to come out on the Model 3 like I am, watched this review and said it was the best and most informative one I had shown her. In fact, as we are considering a CPO Model S instead, she wanted to see if Doug had a similar review of the 2014 S85 so we could get a balanced view on the car.

I didn't get that at all. The only thing I heard him say was that he wasn't a fan of the central screen, but he point out that the owner even said it took a little getting used to but was fine pretty quickly. In fact Doug mentioned that he liked the clean, button and dial-less, look of the interior.

• Helpful
Reactions: AustinPowers
My wife, who is not hanging on every scrap of news to come out on the Model 3 like I am, watched this review and said it was the best and most informative one I had shown her. In fact, as we are considering a CPO Model S instead, she wanted to see if Doug had a similar review of the 2014 S85 so we could get a balanced view on the car.
My wife had the same reaction. It made her much more comfortable about her moving from an ICE to a Model 3. She had concerns even though she really likes my S85D.

It would be a good one to show any fence sitters unsure about a purchase.

Maybe MT's rated hwy consumption number is accurate :( .
The 128.2 mpge figure from MT seems good to me, especially when the EPA highway rating is 120 mpge and the test car had the Sport wheels. The city rating is normal for MT tests because they don't spare the gas/brake, which hurts regen and acceleration (Tesla uses the rear brakes to emulate an LSD) efficiency.

Hopefully 130 mpge combined will be doable with a lighter foot on the Sport wheels and 140+ combined with the Aero wheels.