Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other than paying $150+ for a socket, plug and some flex that you'll probably never unplug. And the labour. And the extra ugly stuff on the wall.

But yes, you get some flexibility if you want to plug in a welder or something.

Also worth noting that the HPWC will charge any modern EV - not just Teslas.

If you're getting the electrical work done now just get them to put an isolator on the wall where you want the HPWC (which is legally required anyway).

The HPWC will charge other modern EVs on most occasions but not all occasions, there are a few earlier units out in public that won't charge anything but a Tesla, of those that do the setting needs to be in legacy mode.

Definitely better not to hardware the Wall Connector. If it fails you can still charge from the 3phase socket with other adaptors, and the Wall Connector will then be mobile and give 3 phase charging on trips ( which the M3 UMC doesn't).
However AS3000 has a non-mandatory section restricting mobile Car charging equipment (EVSE) to 20 amp 250 volts which is ridiculous. We formed a lobby group and AEVA and TOCA made a presentation to the Wiring committee last year to allow EVSEs to be plugged into all AU sockets. They appeared to accept that their section P5.3 was in error, but we should be ready for more lobbying in case they still try to restrict the sockets we can use in future mandatory sections of AS3000.

Anyone see the Reddit post where Tesla has recently allowed (then quickly removed) the performance with 18 inch wheels and someone bought one. It appears to be a standard LR AWD with the performance software.

What struck me as interesting was this owner has received track mode. I wonder if the Australian performance lites will be the same and have track mode even though on the configuration page it specifies they don't.

Link to post: This is what happens when you order the Performance Model 3 and request 18" wheels. (Is the $49,990 performance real? Well, sort of.) : teslamotors

The model 3 has its own limitations for current to the on board inverter. I think it’s 16amps, so a 20mamp 3 phase plug is all you going to need anyway. The next one up is 32 as far as I know. I’m asking my electrician to wire a 3 phase plug to the HWC so it’s easier to replace / move / sell if I need to.

It has a max 11kw inverter inbuilt for AC charging. Which can mean 11kw/45A via one phase I think, though asking for trouble I think. Or three phases at about 15A each. I am not interesting in taking the wall connector to use as a mobile 3 phase adaptor as suggested by Techno-phile, so I'll definitely hard wire it. I've read things about the wall connector/car reducing the charge rate if they see voltage drops and suspect bad plugs, etc. So hard wiring avoids a few more connections. If you move and want to take it with you it is a 5 minute job for an electrician to remove it as one4spl said.
As my post above, you'll need to put in an isolator anyway. You can then unwire the HPWC and cap the outlet of the isolator when you go.
If you put in a three phase socket you could leave without re-hiring an electrician though.

Definitely better not to hardware the Wall Connector. If it fails you can still charge from the 3phase socket with other adaptors, and the Wall Connector will then be mobile and give 3 phase charging on trips ( which the M3 UMC doesn't).
Sure but what 3 phase adaptor? I'd have to buy one (which I don't need unless my wall connector fails) or get one from someone who has a Model S or something, and has also bought the tails to do 3 phase.
If my wall charger fails the best I've got will be the mobile charger on a 15A (or are they 10A?) plug.
I certainly get your point of view though if you want to travel with the wall connector, though I'm not sure carrying that one around is the best idea.

If my wall charger fails the best I've got will be the mobile charger on a 15A (or are they 10A?) plug.
I certainly get your point of view though if you want to travel with the wall connector, though I'm not sure carrying that one around is the best idea.

I am assuming M3 UMC will come with a 10 amp tail (the Model S UMC comes with a 10 amp tail). But I think the M3 UMC is capable of 30amp single phase.

Yes the Wall connector is more fragile than the UMC, so needs to be treated carefully if used mobile (a few have failed when mobile). But an alternative EVSE capable of 11kW is expensive and will be important when travelling outside areas served by DC chargers.

Anyone see the Reddit post where Tesla has recently allowed (then quickly removed) the performance with 18 inch wheels and someone bought one. It appears to be a standard LR AWD with the performance software.

What struck me as interesting was this owner has received track mode. I wonder if the Australian performance lites will be the same and have track mode even though on the configuration page it specifies they don't.

Link to post: This is what happens when you order the Performance Model 3 and request 18" wheels. (Is the $49,990 performance real? Well, sort of.) : teslamotors
“I got a call from a Tesla advisor the next day saying there was a car in stock in Chicago that was the "Performance with 18" wheels" - which he further explained was the Long Range Model 3 with performance software unlock for $49,990.”
- so Tesla themselves have finally confirmed that the P is the same range as the LR AWD with a software unlock for acceleration

[QUOTE
- so Tesla themselves have finally confirmed that the P is the same range as the LR AWD with a software unlock for acceleration[/QUOTE]

I really hope so. But Tesla sales still tell me I must choose range (LR AWD) or acceleration (P3D). It is possible Tesla are software limiting range on P3D in AU. The fact the P3D+ and P3D- are quoted as the same range 560kms is suspicious since 20" wheels should reduce range, but lowered suspension might compensate to a certain extent.

Surely it would be ludicrous (cough, sorry) to limit range on the p3D- if it's capable of the AWD range - that would be annoying.

They don't.

There are several P3D- in inventory in the US and they list the same range as the AWD LR.

Reference - Model 3 performance new 18 inch wheel option now avail 7/15/19

Also - M3P-

upload_2019-7-18_11-32-4-png.431182

The fact the P3D+ and P3D- are quoted as the same range 560kms is suspicious since 20" wheels should reduce range, but lowered suspension might compensate to a certain extent.

I have a feeling they did this to upsell people to the performance pack. By showing the range as the same between then two trims, there was no downside to opting for the performance 3 vs the performance lite.

Reactions: Techno-phile
If that chart is true it means there is literally no point getting the LR AWD, aside from a $2,000 difference. The P3 (w/o the upgrade package) is simply better in every way with no downsides.
Yeah, its more expensive (in the US) and its not commonly available. The only ones available in the US are inventory - not for custom order. And its not available to order here anymore.

Pretty happy to have a unicorn in-transit to me though :D

If that chart is true it means there is literally no point getting the LR AWD, aside from a $2,000 difference. The P3 (w/o the upgrade package) is simply better in every way with no downsides.

The only valid reason I could think of would be cheaper insurance. Or being ABLE to get insurance if you fall into a high risk category. This may suit some people who really don't need to take off so fast from a set of lights. It is a good choice in that case.

Me, I'm in the other camp and will be staying 100% with my (can we call it a limited edition yet?) AWDP- on 18's (and all facts point to it having the same range as the AWDLR on 18's - we shall know soon enough).

I'm a bit surprised that Tesla did not reduce the AWDLR to a 2-3 thousand below the previous AWDP- in international markets. What they did in the USA reflects just that.

The only valid reason I could think of would be cheaper insurance. Or being ABLE to get insurance if you fall into a high risk category. This may suit some people who really don't need to take off so fast from a set of lights. It is a good choice in that case.

Me, I'm in the other camp and will be staying 100% with my (can we call it a limited edition yet?) AWDP- on 18's (and all facts point to it having the same range as the AWDLR on 18's - we shall know soon enough).

I'm a bit surprised that Tesla did not reduce the AWDLR to a 2-3 thousand below the previous AWDP- in international markets. What they did in the USA reflects just that.
I think the pricing and perhaps configs will change after the initial delivery rush etc as per normal Tesla ops.

Interesting Twitter thread @electricfuture5

The new part for me here was the vin assignment to be on arrival in Australia.

Quoted below Tweet from @electricfuture5
Twitter

“Okay this is going to be a long one. I had a Tesla manager call me about my #model3AU cancellation & I also pressed him for more information on other 3 news. All as I was told but as always could be wrong

1/ I wanted to cancel because I ordered with Fog lights and now the 3 won't ship with them. - He said he tried to match my config with fogs but no SR+'s are coming with them into Oz and the rest of the world going forward. If it's like the S/X plastic will cover where fog light should be. I still think there is a claim of false advertising here, it was on the Tesla site for a month after all.

2/ Brought up that a $70k car not coming with carmats is penny pinching & I understand it's a Tesla but if I take my 70k somewhere else I'll get a lot morethan car mats.

3/ He confirmed the #model3AU WILL come with a WALL CHARGER & PORTABLE CHARGER. Could not confirm if it would come with a type 2 standalone cable.

4/ People who ordered performance with premium connectivity before the config update will NOT get unlimited, it will
limited to 1 year as all other Tesla's. ( Saying that he said Tesla haven't charged for it YET)

5/ Your VIN will be assigned when it arrives in Australia not when it comes off factory floor.

5.5 Also sounded like reservation holders WILL get first priority. ( He could not give
me my delivery date as he did not have it on hand, he asked me to email)

6. He warmly welcomed my feedback and said all he sent to headoffice in US, the more people complain the more it throws weight behind an issue. If there's something you are not happy with. LET TESLA KNOW.

7/ Mentioned Tesla FSD price is more expensive DURING purchase than after, which is the opposite of what it used to be. Tesla should offer an option to purchase separately to avoid the LCT Tax because it'll have gone up twice before the 3 is even delivered. He said they did
something similar to this in the past and added things after delivery but the tax office aren't too happy with that, however he could make sense to delay FSD increase for Australia so he'll take that feedback.

All things considered I'm holding my order for now... /END.”