Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hahaha I don’t understand the fog lights fetish. I forgot my car even had them and I certainly have never used them even though I have driven in fog at least twice in the last 6 years of ownership. No floor mats is annoying and although common in the car world I wish Tesla was above this.

Dont worry, just pick up a set of the very affordable "Genunie Telsa" mat sets on eBay or Aliexpress. :)

But Tesla sales still tell me I must choose range (LR AWD) or acceleration (P3D). It is possible Tesla are software limiting range on P3D in AU. The fact the P3D+ and P3D- are quoted as the same range 560kms is suspicious since 20" wheels should reduce range, but lowered suspension might compensate to a certain extent.
No, Tesla are purely using the obsolete & inapplicable NEDC testing, to justify them being sold for the same price. The 20” wheels do reduce range, however

Tesla quote all their ranges NEDC: LR AWD 620kms, P3D 560kms. My S100D 660kms (but best I have done is 580kms). I don't mind being 6% down on the S100D, but not 15% down, since we have just one DC charger North or East of Perth!
Also uncorked S100D is 3.4secs to 100kph and I don't want M3 to be any slower!

No, Tesla are purely using the obsolete & inapplicable NEDC testing, to justify them being sold for the same price. The 20” wheels do reduce range, however
The only way to know for sure is to check the wheel weight of each size, as well as the rolling resistance. If tesla have made the same weight to both sizes than the range difference will likely not be measurable, pending tyre type.

18s are aeros though which gives a 5-10% increase in range from what i've read.
I’ll do a little test next week when I’m back in aust. Have two identical same age model s other than 1 has 19” and the other 21” staggered tesla wheels. Tesla supplied different tyres for each, both still original. I’ll do a stretch of road in each at precisely 60kmh for 5km and take the energy consumption for each journey, and report the results.

Reactions: technerdx6000
The aerodynamics of the wheel seems to be the difference people are getting in range. There are plenty of tests with the 18" wheels, aero covers on then off. Same wheel, same tyre and pressure. 5-10% improvement just with the covers. It was being discussed on the model 3 section the other day, putting a cover over the 20" for trips. I’m keen to try something when I get mine. 5-10% is a big difference on a trip of 300+ km. The 18, 19 and 20" wheels are all the same width, so with some careful pressure adjustments, I’d say they’d have a similar rolling resistance (which is different to aerodynamic drag).

I’ll do a little test next week when I’m back in aust. Have two identical same age model s other than 1 has 19” and the other 21” staggered tesla wheels. Tesla supplied different tyres for each, both still original. I’ll do a stretch of road in each at precisely 60kmh for 5km and take the energy consumption for each journey, and report the results.

I ran a test with another model S driver about 2 years ago, sitting between 70-100kmh, original 19s against original 21 inch turbines, same road, same time, same air con settings, correct tyre pressures, there was a clear 10% difference in range.
Some of the reasons are:
Slighter lower tyre pressure in the 21s
The 21s had a slightly stickier tread pattern.
The 21s have a larger wheel surface area compared to 19s larger tyre sidewall, the wheel creates more turbulence than the fairly smooth tyre surface.
Around town it would be irrelevant, on a long highway trip the aeros with higher tyre pressures could be useful.

Tesla quote all their ranges NEDC: LR AWD 620kms, P3D 560kms. My S100D 660kms (but best I have done is 580kms).
This differential is justified based on the 20” non-aeros for the P+
However, the original poster mentioned Tesla said him that P Std was less range than the LR AWD - this is utter rubbish. It has been repeatedly shown they are identical, with 18” aeros

Reactions: T3SLA3
The aerodynamics of the wheel seems to be the difference people are getting in range. There are plenty of tests with the 18" wheels, aero covers on then off. Same wheel, same tyre and pressure. 5-10% improvement just with the covers. It was being discussed on the model 3 section the other day, putting a cover over the 20" for trips. I’m keen to try something when I get mine. 5-10% is a big difference on a trip of 300+ km. The 18, 19 and 20" wheels are all the same width, so with some careful pressure adjustments, I’d say they’d have a similar rolling resistance (which is different to aerodynamic drag).

The contact patch on all 3 wheels/tyres is broadly similar as they all have about the same circumference and exactly the same width. In the normal ICE world the 18s will be faster and more economical. They will also give the better ride and wear with less precision. But in the Model 3 they are not the same tyre - you need to upgrade the 18s to Pilot 4s' to even remotely compare.

Then factor in the 2 things that are not even commonly addressed because they are so new (they are really not new at all ... just not considered widely until recently).

1) Aero wheel covers - it appears that these give 3% more range at motorway speeds
2) The higher roll resistance on larger wheels - lost on ICE but it probably leads to higher regen in an EV as you effectively have a heavier flywheel on each corner under active slowdown

There is probably a PHD in this for someone far smarter than me.

Nextmove in Germany recently did side by side testing of model 3 with and without aero wheel caps on the autobahn at 150km/hr. The difference was 3%. At our typical highway speeds I would expect slightly less difference.

The larger Tesla wheels are heavier so the greater unsprung mass will lead to less range. The stock tyre compounds used are also different with less range from the stickier compounds used on the performance models.

This differential is justified based on the 20” non-aeros for the P+
However, the original poster mentioned Tesla said him that P Std was less range than the LR AWD - this is utter rubbish. It has been repeatedly shown they are identical, with 18” aeros

Tesla quote the same NEDC range 560kms for P3D- and P3D+.
P3D+ has 20" wheels and lower suspension which would cancel out to a certain extent.
I hope all the evidence from the USA models is valid for our models here in OZ, and that P3D- has the same range as LR AWD NEDC 620kms.

Nextmove in Germany recently did side by side testing of model 3 with and without aero wheel caps on the autobahn at 150km/hr. The difference was 3%. At our typical highway speeds I would expect slightly less difference.

The larger Tesla wheels are heavier so the greater unsprung mass will lead to less range. The stock tyre compounds used are also different with less range from the stickier compounds used on the performance models.

3% isn't much difference is it, I thought I'd read somewhere it was more than that.
For long distance though, the unsprung weight won't have much effect due to the constant speed driving. Rolling resistance (drive-train, tyre compound and pressure resistance, etc) is fairly constant, as the speed increases. i.e The negative effect (energy required to offset) remains the same per KM travelled. However, aerodynamics increases exponentially (square-cube law), this obviously is considerable in a constant speed highway type drive. This is one reason our Tesla's look so nice, all slippery !!

Glovis Champion is bound for Europe.

New source. Panama Canal bookings
:: BOYD - Steamship Corporation - Agents at the Panama Canal ::

Latest in Tracking spreadsheet
Public - Google Drive

Container ships FTW at the moment

hm. yes it seems that maybe prime or conductor could possible make aug 31 deliveries, but otherwise will have to be containers (or september). 2+ weeks at sea SFO-AKL, plus AKL unloading, plus a few more days across the tasman, plus local import and delivery logistics. what, minimum 3.5 weeks from port 80 to delivery in Aus?

edit: I notice the container ships in your spreadsheet seem to be more like 3+ weeks SFO-AKL, in which case it's probably already too late for roro in Aus in Aug. At 16 kt, though, it should be more like 2 weeks, and that's what cosco tengfei is doing at the moment.

Last edited: