Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Building in May/June definitely guarantees delivery in our winter. What's interesting is that Tesla would traditionally build Australian cars at the start of each quarter rather than towards the end of the quarter. This is so that those cars get delivered later in the same quarter and not into the next quarter. It seems that Tesla is going to break that tradition and simply produce model 3s and get them to us as soon as possible regardless of the fact the cars will traverse quarters.
Could potentially be a vote of confidence on Q2 and Q3 financial performance as well if they don't have to push as hard to make end of quarter as they are right now to minimise losses/ maximise profitability metrics.

Either way, EXCITED.

According to the press today there are a group setting out on an expedition to prove the the world is flat.....so does elon really know for sure that the earth is round? There is evidently a giant ice wall around the edge, and we are in a big snow dome type structure.
I wish them well ...
I spent 4 years writing the back-end code for a ship tracking system that split the surface of the globe into polygons, did more spherical trigonometry than I ever thought possible.
I must have missed a bit, I hope they find it...

From a WHO report I read recently (stumbled upon) on how to deal with anti-vaxxers: stay calm, stick to the facts. Best approach for their kindred folks in climate denial, creationism, flat-earth, etc. But I think we can make exception for flat-earthers, especially when they pull out their phones and use Google Maps to navigate someplace...

Does anyone have any idea of how many M3 place holders there are in Aus? Just wondering how deep in the queue I might be given some M3's might be arriving this year. I guess when the crunch comes to configure and hand over more $$$ some people may decide to pass.
I wouldn't worry too much.
Once the tap opens the flow rate should be pretty fast to the right hand drive countries.
Being late in the queue might only cost a month or so.

From a WHO report I read recently (stumbled upon) on how to deal with anti-vaxxers: stay calm, stick to the facts. Best approach for their kindred folks in climate denial, creationism, flat-earth, etc. But I think we can make exception for flat-earthers, especially when they pull out their phones and use Google Maps to navigate someplace...
I’d like to know what they think our flat earth looks like underneath.....or is that just where australians live...

I wouldn't worry too much.
Once the tap opens the flow rate should be pretty fast to the right hand drive countries.
Being late in the queue might only cost a month or so.

Sounds encouraging... I guess they will start with the higher spec versions. That might re-shuffle the queue too. I didn't pre- order until around mid last year. It would be great to have delivery this year?!

The UK, Japan and Hong Kong would have a lot longer queues for RHD M3 than we would. Nobody who knows will tell you the numbers of course.

I have a funny feeling reservation for Aus will be for a few days before you can order without one. There's 20 million people here of which most are fond of their V8 Ute. I doubt there will be much interest here compared to let's say the UK. The other thing of course is that there no incentives in Australia outside of the ACT and QLD a bit which doesn't amount to much.

UK you get 10000 dollars discount, don't have to pay 2.50 AUD for petrol and charging stations everywhere. There's also some other advantages i.e. you can drive into london city.

I have a funny feeling reservation for Aus will be for a few days before you can order without one. There's 20 million people here of which most are fond of their V8 Ute. I doubt there will be much interest here compared to let's say the UK. The other thing of course is that there no incentives in Australia outside of the ACT and QLD a bit which doesn't amount to much.

UK you get 10000 dollars discount, don't have to pay 2.50 AUD for petrol and charging stations everywhere. There's also some other advantages i.e. you can drive into london city.

I think you will find the issue stopping adoption of electric cars is not V8 utes, rather;
1. The current offering is too expensive for all but a minority
2. The cheaper options from other brands are too quirky and soft (which elon musk identified a decade ago)
3. Range anxiety out in the country, and for many even in the city.
4. This one needs more explanation. I know a huge number of people that are keen on buying a model 3, but not until they have done the traditional “test drive”. Given the number of opportunities to test drive a tesla S or X in Australia is very limited, and is zero for the model 3, I think this will be the biggest obstacle of all. Until Tesla deal with it, Aussies will continue to buy fossil fuel cars.

I know a huge number of people that are keen on buying a model 3, but not until they have done the traditional “test drive”. Given the number of opportunities to test drive a tesla S or X in Australia is very limited, and is zero for the model 3, I think this will be the biggest obstacle of all. Until Tesla deal with it, Aussies will continue to buy fossil fuel cars.
Over time, I have become familiar with the tastes of the various magazines and automotive journalists. When they described the Model 3 driving experience, I had no further need to test drive the car before locking in my order. Sure, there are people that think they can't get over the lack of a traditional instrument panel, and they may need some time to sit in the car and/or go for a ride with a neighbor or colleague. To me, this is just demand management by Tesla. There are people who will want one right away and Tesla will be happy to oblige those buyers. However, the further waves of demand will materialize after people see them around "in the wild" and people they know have them. Word of mouth is powerful for Tesla.

Reactions: Tension
There will still be city Tesla centres and you will still be able to test drive at least an S. If you are kindly disposed towards the 3 (and why else would you be test driving?) then it will be similar enough. I drove a P100D before settling on my secondhand car - there's a bit of difference there but it didn't put me off at all.

EDIT: @raynewman No, I can't see any reason for keeping an ICE either, and I'm often asked about that. I certainly won't be buying another one. Ever.

Reactions: miimura