Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Including SR+? That is welcome and reasonable for a $70,000 car. But it is contrary to lots of previous rumours/advice...
I asked the sales person that, and he said that the Tesla Australia made a special point about it to the head office and got it approved that even SR+ in Australia comes with included mud mats. I hope he is right about this, but considering that different people at different Tesla stores in Australia have been getting different answers, it is always possible that they are not well informed.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp and sczsimos
You don't have to pay a bond but you do need to sign a contract saying you will pay the excess if you do have an accident, and yer it's about $4k for the S and X, not sure about the 3.
Ah, so I was right. By “paying a bond” I meant that. The effect is the same - you are on the hook for ~$4k if you have an at-fault accident. But if I have an-at-fault accident in my own Model 3, then I pay my excess which will be a helluva lot lower. Or not bother getting the repair done (depending on what it is). In contrast, I didn’t have to sign anything when I test drove my LEAF.

You might think I’m being paranoid about this, but when I rented a car a few years ago I got smacked for what I thought to be a minor bumper scrape. Having elected to not take out the additional excess cover upon rental, they whacked me for the full cost of repairing the bumper and respraying (including an undercarriage scrape they found that they also said was my fault). It was painful.

Given Tesla repair costs, even a minor incident (in what will be an unfamiliar car) could easily add up to $4k, and there’s no option to defray that risk up-front like you can with a rental. So once bitten, etc. I just won’t go there.

Let's face it, you're going to buy the car anyway and if you don't like the car you can still return it for a full refund within 7 days anyway according to Tesla.
Not in Australia.

A bit more on NZ insurance: still no response from vero (insure my tesla). According the FB group, they're very slow, and many other people seem to have issues with the real quote being much more than the indicative price (~$1100). I did get a detailed quote from youi, though, which is about the same as the vero indicative price.

A bit more on NZ insurance: still no response from vero (insure my tesla). According the FB group, they're very slow, and many other people seem to have issues with the real quote being much more than the indicative price (~$1100). I did get a detailed quote from youi, though, which is about the same as the vero indicative price.

You mean around $1100:?

OK just went though their stuff and $1160 with a buy now!

Last edited:
Ah, so I was right. By “paying a bond” I meant that. The effect is the same - you are on the hook for ~$4k if you have an at-fault accident. But if I have an-at-fault accident in my own Model 3, then I pay my excess which will be a helluva lot lower. Or not bother getting the repair done (depending on what it is). In contrast, I didn’t have to sign anything when I test drove my LEAF.

You might think I’m being paranoid about this, but when I rented a car a few years ago I got smacked for what I thought to be a minor bumper scrape. Having elected to not take out the additional excess cover upon rental, they whacked me for the full cost of repairing the bumper and respraying (including an undercarriage scrape they found that they also said was my fault). It was painful.

Given Tesla repair costs, even a minor incident (in what will be an unfamiliar car) could easily add up to $4k, and there’s no option to defray that risk up-front like you can with a rental. So once bitten, etc. I just won’t go there.

Not in Australia.
Hire a car with an amex card and enjoy free full insurance against excess. Won’t work for a tesla test drive though

E35161E4-A0FD-4C53-8942-01394F953FED.jpeg
46C19D49-9C52-45BE-9E60-1E66501890FA.jpeg

From FB.

Update from FB - it was clarified what was said - very postively deliveries would be before the end of August, and if not by Sep 2.

In my opinion, This is still looking like Cap Capricorn from all available information received.

Last edited:

Yes. Got vero back, $2100. I notice that the online estimated premium from vero is actually only for S/X, and it says to call for 3, so I suppose that's their way out. I can't say if it was that way before, and I didn't notice, or if it's changed. Probably doesn't matter either way, really.

I spoke to the Tesla Martin Place crew today about tyre inflation and repair kits.

Apparently they need to be purchased rather than coming with the car. About $200AUD.

I’m not entirely sure how I feel about that given there is no spare and my A3 etron came with the kit included.

I spoke to the Tesla Martin Place crew today about tyre inflation and repair kits.

Apparently they need to be purchased rather than coming with the car. About $200AUD.

I’m not entirely sure how I feel about that given there is no spare and my A3 etron came with the kit included.
Same with S & X. Tyre repair kit has a limited life.
Dont need it around the city as the low pressure warning works well and plenty of tyre place around, as well as servo’s for air. If you plan on a country drive then you should carry a spare or repair kit.

I have a firm quote from AAMI which is $1144 for the Performance lite insured for $95,776 with windscreen but I dialed in a higher excess. It is valid I and I just have to click to accept it up until Sep 14. The agent suggested that I also might want to look at using one of the policies I already have with them that have an automatic 15% discount and just switch cars around. The last time I checked they still only have the SR+ on the website but they certainly have the P- if you call them.

Two points
1) The insurance on the P- appears to be not stupid
2) Your individual mileage may vary. If you are an 18yr old P plater with an accident and speeding fine under your belt living in a high risk suburb then you will pay much more. But... You will also be more successful in picking up the hottie at your local bar this evening than I would ever be. Swings and roundabouts!

Last edited:
I have a firm quote from AAMI which is $1144 for the Performance lite insured for $95,776 with windscreen but I dialed in a higher excess. It is valid I and I just have to click to accept it up until Sep 14. The agent suggested that I also might want to look at using one of the policies I already have with them that have an automatic 15% discount and just switch cars around. The last time I checked they still only have the SR+ on the website but they certainly have the P- if you call them.

Two points
1) The insurance on the P- appears to be not stupid
2) Your individual mileage may vary. If you are an 18yr old P plater with an accident and speeding fine under your belt living in a high risk suburb then you will pay much more. But... You will also be more successful in picking up the hottie at your local bar this evening than I would ever be. Swings and roundabouts!

Quote from AAMI online for the SR+ insured at $66k with $1,520 excess is just over $2,000!! Insured for a 40+ yo with no history. How did you manage to get it so low for the P?

Quote from AAMI online for the SR+ insured at $66k with $1,520 excess is just over $2,000!! Insured for a 40+ yo with no history. How did you manage to get it so low for the P?

Possibly postcode and dialing the excess to circa 2k. If you DM me I am happy to send through the entire document to you - it does not have the implied 15% discount in it yet ...but it is still $1144 at the moment.

I have locked insurance in with RACV for a P+ with 2000 excess and windscreen, for market value (because the car will be replaced new for old anyways for the first 2 years making agreed value pointless). Went ahead and bought it because of the good price, with an effective date of September, but can always backdate it. Will need to provide the rego/vin later.

Price $1330. Melbourne inner city, no accidents. No other discounts besides multipolicy.

Just buy one on amazon. No need for a tesla branded one.

Reactions: paulp
Possibly postcode and dialing the excess to circa 2k. If you DM me I am happy to send through the entire document to you - it does not have the implied 15% discount in it yet ...but it is still $1144 at the moment.

For aami, the one of the biggest differences - is previous insurer - it is kind of nuts why this is the case. If you put in suncorp, it will come out cheaper (suncorp owns aami)

Thanks for offering. I went back and changed the post code to a place I figured would have less crime and I got $1,100... I think I need to sell and move :/

I think on the day of picking up the car im going to get a cover note and just ask Tesla if they have their own insurance I could use.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Oli C and baillies
Thanks for offering. I went back and changed the post code to a place I figured would have less crime and I got $1,100... I think I need to sell and move :/

I think on the day of picking up the car im going to get a cover note and just ask Tesla if they have their own insurance I could use.
I asked yesterday at Tesla Brisbane if they have their own insurance or if the have one that they work with in Australia. I was told they do not have one in Australia and they have no deals with any that are here. Let me know if you get a different response from them...

Reactions: jaykaye
CommInsure online quote of $1230 for a SR+ at an agreed value of $71590, excess of $450. If I go with market value, then it’s about $1050.

The online form takes into account drivers age, driving history, where you live, etc. We are already CommInsure customers, so that may change things a bit.