Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
~1500NZD is about what I'm expecting. Do you need a type B RCD in Aus? I'm guessing not based on $500 to install the HPWC. That's about $600 just for the part.

That’s correct, I had an EV charger installed a couple of years ago and the latest guidelines for the electricians state that a type B RCD must be installed, as you say this is $600 plus just for this part. The actual install was around $700. Where it is a grey area is that this is just a guideline at the moment so you technically could get it installed without the RCD but it is likely to become a regulation in the near future. I just paid for it as I wanted to have installation to be ‘future’ proofed.

• Helpful
Reactions: khayyam
Why do you need a separate one to those already in the fuse box? Pardon my ignorance.
Installation of an HPWC should always be on a dedicated circuit. You will need a circuit breaker (or three, for three phase), which protects against over current from short circuit or other failure, and a Residual Current Device (RCD) to protect against other failures, generally to do with current going towards the device not being the same as current returning to the board (possibly indicating that someone is being electrocuted). For single phase, there are devices which do both of these tasks, for three phase they are generally mechanically linked.

In short, the assorted circuits currently at your board are all busy supplying other stuff in your house, you need a new device or devices to supply the right amount (lots) of current in a safe way (RCD) to your HPWC.

• Informative
Reactions: stuartl
Why do you need a separate one to those already in the fuse box? Pardon my ignorance.
To expand a little on WoodWombat’s reply, a circuit breaker detects too much current - a circumstance that can cause an electrical fire. A residual current detector detects current in the wrong place - a circumstance which indicates a different kind of hazard (electrocution, hazardous appliances, etc.) An RCD can trip when a circuit breaker wouldn’t (and vice versa.) Both are necessary if you want proper electrical safety.