Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To expand a little on WoodWombat’s reply, a circuit breaker detects too much current - a circumstance that can cause an electrical fire. A residual current detector detects current in the wrong place - a circumstance which indicates a different kind of hazard (electrocution, hazardous appliances, etc.) An RCD can trip when a circuit breaker wouldn’t (and vice versa.) Both are necessary if you want proper electrical safety.
Are type B RCDs required for HPWC installation in Aus? A previous installation quote suggests not.

Installation of an HPWC should always be on a dedicated circuit. You will need a circuit breaker (or three, for three phase), which protects against over current from short circuit or other failure, and a Residual Current Device (RCD) to protect against other failures, generally to do with current going towards the device not being the same as current returning to the board (possibly indicating that someone is being electrocuted). For single phase, there are devices which do both of these tasks, for three phase they are generally mechanically linked.

In short, the assorted circuits currently at your board are all busy supplying other stuff in your house, you need a new device or devices to supply the right amount (lots) of current in a safe way (RCD) to your HPWC.
So for us on a single phase power, would something like this be the way to go:
Product Detail - Clipsal by Schneider Electric
Or is there some other specific EV breaker/RCD combo that we would need that would cost $500?

I agree. Luckily our cars should be real leather steering wheels.

These militant vegans already bragging about paying $550 to have it switched out by Tesla Service on existing cars, while at the same time pretending to care about "the environment". Virtue signalling at its finest. Nevermind the fact that you probably wasted way more resources by replacing the steering wheel on a perfectly good car. The hypocrisy never ceases to amaze.

I find it somewhat disheartening when Tesla drivers - or future divers - accuse others of "virtue signalling", when Tesla drivers themselves are often accused of exactly the same thing.

It reminds me how Al Gore was accused of hypocrisy for the high electricity consumption at his home after he produced the "Inconvenient Truth" documentary.

Rather than welcoming the good cause that people try to raise awareness for, we often tear them down...

.... and that is so easy to do! Because no matter how much you try to do the right thing, you can always be accused of not doing enough.

By switching to a vegan steering wheel, this "militant vegan" probably wanted to draw attention to an issue that is much bigger than herself or her particular steering wheel. Her action might not make sense when considered in isolation, but if you consider the bigger picture, it probably makes sense for the vegan movement overall.

When I queued for two days in front of the St Leonnards Tesla store, I did so - not because I wanted to get the first Model 3 - but to draw attention to an important historic step in the move towards sustainable transportation. There are dozens of ways people can criticise me for this being "virtue signalling" on my part or point out better ways to spend my money to promote sustainability.

However, to me the Model 3 is not only a lower emission vehicle compared to ICE car alternatives, but a significant step towards autonomous transportation. Only when we move to autonomous transportation will the full environmental benefits of EVs come to bear.

Leilani Münter is probably in this for the long game and winning over Tesla to the vegan cause is a significant win for their movement.

I am no vegan myself, but I respect the good intentions of vegans.

That's type AC. You'd want a type B.
Pretty sure the standards in Aus only call for a Type A at the moment, do we know if the Tesla HPWC charging a Model 3 will ever produce a smooth DC fault current? I guess the B RCD covers all your bases.

Does anyone know of any combination of 3P breaker and 4P type B RCD that takes 3-4 DIN slots rather than 6-7? For type A you have things like this: https://www.mjselectricalsupplies.c...MI_o-_h-2w5AIVCg4rCh0mHge4EAQYAyABEgKO7_D_BwE

Edit: Found one! RCCB DIN-SAFE 3P+N 63A 30mA TYPE B | NHP Customer Portal but the Type B seems to only be available in 63A when we want 40A. Lower power units from NHP seem to be A or AC. The search continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: meowsers
That's type AC. You'd want a type B.
You don’t necessarily need B. Consult an electrician experienced with this. B is overkill
I find it somewhat disheartening when Tesla drivers - or future divers - accuse others of "virtue signalling", when Tesla drivers themselves are often accused of exactly the same thing.

It reminds me how Al Gore was accused of hypocrisy for the high electricity consumption at his home after he produced the "Inconvenient Truth" documentary.

Rather than welcoming the good cause that people try to raise awareness for, we often tear them down...

.... and that is so easy to do! Because no matter how much you try to do the right thing, you can always be accused of not doing enough.

By switching to a vegan steering wheel, this "militant vegan" probably wanted to draw attention to an issue that is much bigger than herself or her particular steering wheel. Her action might not make sense when considered in isolation, but if you consider the bigger picture, it probably makes sense for the vegan movement overall.

When I queued for two days in front of the St Leonnards Tesla store, I did so - not because I wanted to get the first Model 3 - but to draw attention to an important historic step in the move towards sustainable transportation. There are dozens of ways people can criticise me for this being "virtue signalling" on my part or point out better ways to spend my money to promote sustainability.

However, to me the Model 3 is not only a lower emission vehicle compared to ICE car alternatives, but a significant step towards autonomous transportation. Only when we move to autonomous transportation will the full environmental benefits of EVs come to bear.

Leilani Münter is probably in this for the long game and winning over Tesla to the vegan cause is a significant win for their movement.

I think I’ve also called out militant teslans. I know this will ruffle people the wrong way, but the only reason I (and many others) are buying Tesla’s is because of the performance. I don’t particularly care about the environmental benefits and would just as soon drive an ICE if it offered better performance at the same cost.

For every insignificant person that gets upset by another persons virtue signaling there is more than one that takes the message on board, those that take the message on board will move in a positive direction, those who get upset will remain insignificant.

The whole issue seems to have been blown out of proportion. Surely a workable solution would have been to just let buyers choose if they want the 'fully synthetic interior' or 'synthetic interior with leather accents', and charge a premium for one of them?

In such a case I can't imagine faulting someone for choosing to pay a bit extra to get the leather. Or for choosing to pay a bit extra to ensure they're not getting any leather. People can prefer different things without being attacked over it.

The whole issue seems to have been blown out of proportion. Surely a workable solution would have been to just let buyers choose if they want the 'fully synthetic interior' or 'synthetic interior with leather accents', and charge a premium for one of them?

In such a case I can't imagine faulting someone for choosing to pay a bit extra to get the leather. Or for choosing to pay a bit extra to ensure they're not getting any leather. People can prefer different things without being attacked over it.
I agree that it has been blown massively out of proportion. Also cow hides area really cheap compared to good quality synthetic alternatives. Because of the massive vegan push the food industry has massive surplus of cow hides that currently goes to landfill. Fortunately it is fully bio degradable so not too bad for environment but it is a massive waste that could be used, but is not because of the vegan push.

• Informative
Reactions: TaylorP
Haven't followed the last 30 odd pages of this thread (about 12 hours worth :p ), but saw some home charging questions. In any case, we had our HPWC for our S wired on a 30amp circuit with its own circuit breaker to the off peak (we don't have time of day metering). So we charge on off peak rates at night. Also we find 30amp enough, and haven't felt the need for 3 phase, as overnight is overnight. Even coming home late, and very low, its always ready the next morning. Generally only charge once or twice a week - let it run down to <100km range, then boost it up to 80%. A million times more convenient than petrol!

PS the smart pre-warming is a champion in this cold weather!

I agree that it has been blown massively out of proportion. Also cow hides area really cheap compared to good quality synthetic alternatives. Because of the massive vegan push the food industry has massive surplus of cow hides that currently goes to landfill. Fortunately it is fully bio degradable so not too bad for environment but it is a massive waste that could be used, but is not because of the vegan push.

So to you the obvious solution to surplus cow hides is to find uses for the cow hides that go to landfill, while for a vegan the obvious solution is to stop eating meat and avoid generating cow hides in the first place.

Similarly, here in Australia some people argue [imho erroneously] that EVs are less environmentally friendly than ICE cars, since a large chunk of our electricity is produced by coal power stations. To them the solution is to only use EVs once Australia has switched 100% to renewable energy. To me, the obvious solution is to rapidly increase the number of EVs so that the need to switch to renewable energy becomes even more urgent and coal power stations are switched off earlier.

In both instances, it is becoming clearer day by day, in which direction we need to move in order to achieve sustainability with 10 billion people running around on this little blue planet.

Likewise, Tesla could offer an ICE option for the Model 3, where die-hard ICE lovers could get the cool looks, aerodynamics and functionality of the Model 3, but have the option of having an ICE fitted in the froot... ;)

So to you the obvious solution to surplus cow hides is to find uses for the cow hides that go to landfill, while for a vegan the obvious solution is to stop eating meat and avoid generating cow hides in the first place.
Totally agree, that there are more than one way to go here. I personally am not vegan, however I have been vegetarian for the last 37 years and have not eaten any meat, sea food or birds since 1982, but I know a large portion of world population would not survive if meat was not an option for eating, so in my opinion keeping those people fed is more important than keeping those animals from being eaten. I have no issue with other people eating meat, it is just a personal choice I have made and I have no plans to take it further to vegan levels. I agree that animal cruelty should not be allowed and drawing peoples attention to it is important but I do not agree with forcing ones beliefs on others. There are always more than one way to improve the situation.

A circuit breaker or something else? I do not know electrician speak.

RCD = residual current detection. It compares current in to current out, and breaks the circuit if they don't balance (which could be because it's found another way to ground, possibly through you).

EDIT: not sure about type A, B, C for RCD's. For circuit breakers, the code relates to how fast they trip, i.e. how much of a temporary overload they will tolerate. But for RCD's you always want them to trip ASAP, if I'm not mistaken. Any sparkies here care to comment?

upload_2019-9-2_11-32-37.png

• Funny
Reactions: Hairyman
So on 23rd August Tesla sales called me and threatened me that the Tesla prices in Australia would go up by about 2% or so Between 30th August and 1st of September. @RobDickinson called BS
1st - people have been told all sorts of out of order BS to try and get you to order - we've had several stupid nonsensical pressure statements.

2nd - currency fluctuations look like they may indeed drive up prices for Oz/NZ in the short term

I think he may have been right as the time has passed and the prices remain same. I did put my order in back then, however since I do want the car and was going to put the order in some time within a month anyways, not too upset about this.

Last edited: