Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped into my local SC today to ask some Model 3 specific questions. The guy I talked to couldn't give a lot of answers but the main ones he could offer answers/opinions on were:
  • The car is expected to come with a HPWC

Hmm I seriously have my doubts on this. Is the HPWC included with the purchase in any other region? If they’re not doing it elsewhere then I’m guessing it’d be the same here.

I know they did with the S and X but those are much more expensive vehicles so I can see they would offer some additional bonuses like that.

I hope I’m wrong and it does come with it, but I suspect the local staff are just extrapolating from the S/X and in fact probably know less than most of us.

Hmm I seriously have my doubts on this. Is the HPWC included with the purchase in any other region? If they’re not doing it elsewhere then I’m guessing it’d be the same here.

I know they did with the S and X but those are much more expensive vehicles so I can see they would offer some additional bonuses like that.

I hope I’m wrong and it does come with it, but I suspect the local staff are just extrapolating from the S/X and in fact probably know less than most of us.
Range and charging are a major purchasing blocker in australia, which is why tesla give you a hpwc and a plug in connector. That is a tesla australia specific provision to combat the (incorrect) perceptions in the marketplace. The issue will need to be addressed for the 3 as well, as the concern will still exist. They could get away with just providing the mobile connector though.

I'm hoping this written on the Home Charging Install page indicates that it does come with HPWC
Home Charging Installation
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 7.29.24 pm.png

As Dakah3 states the HPWC will be included with the model 3, but if it wasn't a replacement is $560, this gives you a potential 22kw of charging power compared to the lowly 7kw available from a $2200 Jaguar option.

I'm hoping this written on the Home Charging Install page indicates that it does come with HPWC
Home Charging Installation
View attachment 405825
Well that wouldn’t be the first time Tesla has just cut-and-pasted some text without conducting additional due diligence (e.g. use of imperial measurements on the Australian site). No doubt it was written for Model S and X... but since Model 3 is not available here yet, then you cannot assume that will also apply for Model 3 unless it explicitly says so.

HOWEVER, under Australian Consumer Law, once Model 3 ordering opens here, and if that statement is still on the Tesla Australia site once that happens, then Tesla would be obliged to supply an HPWC with the Model 3, since the statement is unqualified: “all new vehicles”.

your powerpoint will not help you traveling the 2000km through queensland. there is no superchargers up here.
My point is that you can own and enjoy a Tesla without having DC charging near you. It’s a totally different mindset to petrol cars, you don’t need the “petrol station”. Even a bog-standard power point is enough for most owners.

For a one-off delivery to a remote location you might be better getting it trucked. If you regularly need to do 2000km road trips an EV is not the best tool.

Reactions: mike_j
bearing in mind that Model 3 can charge with max 11 kw.

Don't get too caught up on the power number, keep in mind that a model S is less efficient, so even though 17 or 22 kW sounds like a lot more, in km/h an 11 kW three phase charge on a model 3 is still more than adequate.

posted yesterday, but here it is again: https://i.imgur.com/jgW6Clj.png

Rough guesstimates
model 3 @ 11 kW approx 65 km/h range. (170 Wh/km)
model s @ 17 kW approx 90 km/h range. (200 Wh/km)
model s @ 22 kW approx 110 km/h range. (200 Wh/km)

In all scenarios you can get way more than your daily requirements during off peak or solar periods.

Reactions: Shock-On-T