Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would normally modulate your driving speed so that you can reach the next charging point. i.e. drive 140kmh or 90kmh (the optimal speed atm with superchargers is around 170kmh with the model 3 i think). The driving range is therefore not as relevant as the charging speed vs kw consumption of the car. If i need a full battery driving in areas without super chargers 11kw also tells you exactly how long it takes for you to fill your battery to i.e. 90% or even 100%.
Km tells you jack *sugar*.
I use % all the time, rather than km.
But the point is that km is the only way to compare M3/MS/MX, because % and even kW represents a different range in all these vehicles.
So, for a give trip a Model 3 requires less charging time than a Model X.
Modulating speed affect all vehicles similarly, so is not useful for comparing vehicles.

First post here, I'm from Toowoomba, family and I am looking forward to getting our M3, and our first electric car. Probably a dual motor long range, price permitting.

Been lurking for a while, great source of info already received.

Any further news whether we'll be getting the HWPC with the vehicle in Australia? It seems we are treated a bit differently to the States in this regard.

Mat

I just joined as well. Canberra M3 reservation holder, looking at Awd Lr or performance. I asked at the Sydney store a few weeks ago about the wall charger and the sales person told me no it’s not included but only $750. She didn’t know about Elon’s tweet about the rhd orders opening soon as he had tweeted the day before.
So obviously mixed messages we are getting on this issue haha.

Reactions: tom_kauf
When I returned my 2016 Model S to Tesla last month as part of the resale value guarantee, I asked whether I also needed to return the HPWC or whether it would work with my Model 3 when it arrives. They advised that it would be the same HPWC so I could just keep it. I am wondering whether I might wind up with two HPWCs. I guess we’ll find out soon. :)

Photos of the soon to open ovens supercharger have now appeared, with no CCS cables installed. I'm getting concerned about model 3 orders opening with no Tesla Aus commitment to upgrading the supercharger network for model 3 compatibility.

I'm sure they will be upgrading them but the question is: when?

We've seen 'Tesla time' many times before and how 1 month can quickly lead to 3 and so forth. Hopefully we can get some actual signs of CCS superchargers on the ground in Aus.

Photos of the soon to open ovens supercharger have now appeared, with no CCS cables installed. I'm getting concerned about model 3 orders opening with no Tesla Aus commitment to upgrading the supercharger network for model 3 compatibility.

I'm sure they will be upgrading them but the question is: when?

We've seen 'Tesla time' many times before and how 1 month can quickly lead to 3 and so forth. Hopefully we can get some actual signs of CCS superchargers on the ground in Aus.

I don’t think this is an issue until first deliveries start.

IIRC Europe had no CCS before orders opened and had a significant number converted before deliveries started. In AU/NZ 1 electrician could drive/fly and update all chargers in the few weeks between orders opening and deliveries starting.

They advised that it would be the same HPWC so I could just keep it.

They have to work with the same HPWC. Can you imagine Tesla breaking compatibility with all those destination chargers out there? It would be serious bad press for them. It's traumatic enough breaking compatibility with SC's, so hopefully that is brief and temporary. The CCS adapter for S/X comes out June 1, so that might suggest a timeframe for upgrading SC's, although dual cable SC will give them some breathing room.

I don’t think this is an issue until first deliveries start.

IIRC Europe had no CCS before orders opened and had a significant number converted before deliveries started. In AU/NZ 1 electrician could drive/fly and update all chargers in the few weeks between orders opening and deliveries starting.
Agree. One technician could change every Supercharger stall in Australia and New Zealand to dual cable in the amount of time it would take the first shipload of Model 3's to sail from San Francisco. No per-site permits are required for this kind of change to the charging equipment, so basically no regulatory barriers.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
I saw the previous link but that all looked kind of dodgy..
Sorry for making the post look dodgy :)
I was surprised to see it show one day then gone the next then it came back a week later. Initially I thought it was a bug or something.
Odd that reservation holders have a referral option. Wouldn't this technically mean you could get a Tesla for free (if say you have a big enough social following that is).

Sorry for making the post look dodgy :)
I was surprised to see it show one day then gone the next then it came back a week later. Initially I thought it was a bug or something.
Odd that reservation holders have a referral option. Wouldn't this technically mean you could get a Tesla for free (if say you have a big enough social following that is).

A few of the big Youtubers in the USA and Europe have been getting Tesla's for free due to the referral program, I do believe that some have even qualified to receive not one but two Tesla roadsters when they go in to production. In effect this is why Tesla stopped the referral program early this year, basically a seemingly good idea got out of hand. The refurbished referall program gives owners the chance to go in to a quarterly draw for a model Y.
It was noticable that when the referall program ceased the genuine EV bloggers stayed around, those that would write any click bait garbage to attract attention, in reality those in it for themselves disappeared,

Reactions: Shock-On-T