Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well since Hulu doesnt work in Australia you'll need to run Hulu through a browser proxy.
You can actually setup your own web proxy service through Glype or other web proxy services and it'll also run over the internet. Maybe even using a CDN for better localised caching?

From there you'll have to access the website in your car and you should theoretically be able to access blocked domains in Australia.
I believe that you can setup a custom DNS with Glype too so you might be able to use a 'SmartDNS' to further get around the block.
I dont actually own my Model 3 yet so I cant test any of this although, I'll try set something up and maybe someone can try it out.

Of course, this is all proof of concept at the moment.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Ravens can have ludicrous on continuously. It is not in beta.

well they'll get plaid mode which is same thing just different name.

Isn't it more like 'Sport' vs. 'Chill' acceleration settings? As in, switch into it and the software allows more power to be drawn from the battery for as long as you remain in that mode, whether you're accelerating from a standstill or not?

kinda it also heats up the battery etc. You wouldnt really just be driving around with it. It also damages the battery.
The other issue is that once you get to around 3 seconds of 0 to 60 you have completely unusable acceleration on any kind of road. It is just too fast for everyday use.

Nevermind that it causes bad acceleration/deacceleration headaches. Well known problem with performance Teslas.

A quick question about charging.

Does anyone know how to charge Tesla 3 in destination chargers that have the normal model S connector for charging as opposed to CCS?

In Australia and Europe Tesla have always used Type 2 plugs. The difference between CSS and EU Teslas Type 2 is that CSS has 2 extra DC pins on the bottom which do not need to be used. The old Model S/X' used 2 DC pins which Tesla put inside the Type 2 plug.

That is also why non Teslas can plug into EU superchargers and rumour has it some of them can even get a very, very low AC charge from a supercharger which is used to establish communication with the car.

Reason why noone went with Tesla's adapter? No idea, probably because everyone else hates Tesla.

Well since Hulu doesnt work in Australia you'll need to run Hulu through a browser proxy.
You can actually setup your own web proxy service through Glype or other web proxy services and it'll also run over the internet. Maybe even using a CDN for better localised caching?

From there you'll have to access the website in your car and you should theoretically be able to access blocked domains in Australia.
I believe that you can setup a custom DNS with Glype too so you might be able to use a 'SmartDNS' to further get around the block.
I dont actually own my Model 3 yet so I cant test any of this although, I'll try set something up and maybe someone can try it out.

Of course, this is all proof of concept at the moment.

Tesla don’t use the dns server provided by DHCP, and you can’t set it to a custom server, so this approach is unlikely to work without some specially configured equipment.

well they'll get plaid mode which is same thing just different name.

kinda it also heats up the battery etc. You wouldnt really just be driving around with it. It also damages the battery.
The other issue is that once you get to around 3 seconds of 0 to 60 you have completely unusable acceleration on any kind of road. It is just too fast for everyday use.

Nevermind that it causes bad acceleration/deacceleration headaches. Well known problem with performance Teslas.

Plaid is not Ludicrous. It supposedly is reserved for the new Roadster (but now S & X also) which is quicker than Ludicrous. Plaid will have a different drivetrain and 3 motors. M3 does not get Ludicrous. You can drive on Ludicrous all the time and there is no harm. If you want Ludicrous + or the old Launch mode, you need to heat the batteries for lower impedence and higher electron flow. Then you can "launch" the vehicle from a standing start with reputedly up to 30% more power.
Headaches (more likely nausea) occurs when you pull more than 1G which is what happens under Ludicrous. Acceleration with L+ is mid to low 2's, and Plaid 2 and sub 2. (performance Roadster will be quicker). When asked the question, Elon said "how quick do you want to go?!"

Plaid is not Ludicrous. It supposedly is reserved for the new Roadster (but now S & X also) which is quicker than Ludicrous. Plaid will have a different drivetrain and 3 motors. M3 does not get Ludicrous. You can drive on Ludicrous all the time and there is no harm. If you want Ludicrous + or the old Launch mode, you need to heat the batteries for lower impedence and higher electron flow. Then you can "launch" the vehicle from a standing start with reputedly up to 30% more power.
Headaches (more likely nausea) occurs when you pull more than 1G which is what happens under Ludicrous. Acceleration with L+ is mid to low 2's, and Plaid 2 and sub 2. (performance Roadster will be quicker). When asked the question, Elon said "how quick do you want to go?!"

oh i thought the new 3 motor S's will get ludicrous permanently activated. Well, still. The acceleration is too ludicrous and one false step on your pedal in a parking lot and your model s is toast. lol

Tesla don’t use the dns server provided by DHCP, and you can’t set it to a custom server, so this approach is unlikely to work without some specially configured equipment.
Mhm, yeah Tesla dont provide network settings, at all so instead of doing the entire network through a proxy you'll have to send it via a web proxy on the browser. You can setup a custom DNS on the proxy itself not the Tesla.
Hope that makes sense.

• Funny
Reactions: jyavenard
My "Tesla Tip for the Day"™ is a solution for door rattles caused by heavy bass from the sound system. I was looking at getting the front doors done with Dynamat to reduce rattles and increase sound quality (might still do it). I have done this on previous cars with aftermarket speakers in the doors, and it works really well.

But I realised that Dynamat just adds weight to reduce sound wave induced vibration, and I just needed to add some weight to the door skins. This is as easy as putting a drink bottle filled with water in the door pockets, adds an instant 1kg of water to the middle of the doorskins, just behind the speaker. Yes, it is not as good as Dynamat as its not distributed across the door (and stuck to the panels) but it seems to have fixed my rattles.

The 1L aluminium bottles are about the right size (8cm), you just need ones that fit tightly in there, for example I used these - "360 Degrees Stainless Steel Drink Bottle 1L"

Reactions: smithy
That is also why non Teslas can plug into EU superchargers and rumour has it some of them can even get a very, very low AC charge from a supercharger which is used to establish communication with the car.
Well that “rumour” is completely false. Yes, a BEV with a Type 2 Mennekes or CCS2 charge port could rock up to a Tesla Supercharger outside of North America and physicially plug in... but nothing would happen.

Tesla Superchargers interrogate the vehicle plugged in to validate the VIN before allowing electrons to flow. That protocol is proprietary to Tesla and a non-Tesla BEV would not respond.

How else do you think that Tesla charges vehicles for Supercharger use completely seamlessly? It knows who you are.

Reactions: technerdx6000
When you plug in your car into a Supercharger it does a handshake with the vehicle, confirms your VIN, account and makes sure your not blacklisted (eg: salvage)
Any other car connecting to a Supercharger would immediately fail the handshake and not get charged up.

The Tesla supercharger network is one of the biggest selling points for Tesla and they can control everything about it since its their own home grown network, I highly doubt they will be selling off space to other manufacturers any time soon.

Reactions: technerdx6000
When you plug in your car into a Supercharger it does a handshake with the vehicle, confirms your VIN, account and makes sure your not blacklisted (eg: salvage)
Any other car connecting to a Supercharger would immediately fail the handshake and not get charged up.

The Tesla supercharger network is one of the biggest selling points for Tesla and they can control everything about it since its their own home grown network, I highly doubt they will be selling off space to other manufacturers any time soon.
While true, Tesla have had an open offer to other manufacturers to open the charging network to others in return for an agreement to contribute to the further development of the network. With the move to CCS in the Model 3, this is a pretty viable option outside the US, but to date, no manufacturer has offered to join the fight. As I understand it, the protocol to read the VIN from the vehicle over the charge cable is part of the standard communications protocol, so anyone could participate.

Charging fault fixed!!! Took the Canberra ranger Zac all of 5 minutes to reseat a connector on the penthouse under the rear seat.
So thrilled! Now everything truly is perfect!

Attachments

• F017BFE9-8139-4BF6-A1FF-3A04315079BF.jpeg
    F017BFE9-8139-4BF6-A1FF-3A04315079BF.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 50