Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the update and saw on teslraj's page that its suppose to see traffic lights and traffic signs. I get none of that. Is it just a US thing as their update is 2019.40.50 and ours in Oz is 2019.40.50.5 ??
‘FSD visualisation preview’ (recognition of stop sign, traffic lights etc.) is not included in this update.
Please refer to this:
Tesla Software updates - Australia
FYI FSD preview visualisations are a US only feature currently. Even Canada missed out on it.

Just tried Navigate on Autopilot, worked well. Neural network should get better with more people using it over time. So get out there and give it a shot!

What worked well for you?

Genuinely curious.

I found it completely useless.

On Melbourne's eastern freeway (5 lanes in each side), end of day so low traffic. When it came to exit, it moved to the rightmost lane, even though navigation clearly knew where the exit was.
And regardless of traffic, it never once went to the left lane. Forget about keeping left unless overtaking rules.

Worse bit is the new mode that reduce speed if it thinks there's traffic.

So, still on that freeway, doing 100kph, 2nd lane from the left, barely any traffic, I passed a car doing 80kph on the leftmost lane. The car slammed on the brake and reduce its speed to 83, passed the car and accelerated back to 100.

And voice command works well, until it doesn't and refuse to accept any commands.

Very disappointing update. It sounded so promising.

I’m happy for others to be the beta testers :)

I haven’t tried any of the autopilot functions yet. Calibration was done by Day 2, but even then I would get the loud warning beeps and big flashes of red vehicles ahead of me when the car thought I was about to run into a shadow or a speed hump. Thank goodness the brakes were not applied because AP was off. I guess it will get better over time.

I’ve also found it a bit too easy to accidentally turn high beam on when using the indicator. At dusk yesterday someone coming the other way flashed me in annoyance before I realised HB was on due to the blue icon on the screen.

Spent some time Christmas Eve and today working on these...

Shiny Gold Frunk Hooks for my MY2020 M3. (Still find it hard to believe that Tesla removed them from the build spec)

View attachment 492883 View attachment 492885 View attachment 492884

Size and shape are pretty good. Printed in two parts that click together easily.
Piece of cake to fit with a 10mm socket on an extension - using the existing screw.
Although I'm not sure that the hinge points are strong enough. Will do some destructive testing over the next day or so and might have to modify the design depending on how much force is required to break them.
I’m happy for others to be the beta testers :)

I haven’t tried any of the autopilot functions yet. Calibration was done by Day 2, but even then I would get the loud warning beeps and big flashes of red vehicles ahead of me when the car thought I was about to run into a shadow or a speed hump. Thank goodness the brakes were not applied because AP was off. I guess it will get better over time.

I’ve also found it a bit too easy to accidentally turn high beam on when using the indicator. At dusk yesterday someone coming the other way flashed me in annoyance before I realised HB was on due to the blue icon on the screen.

auto highbeams are completely useless on country roads atm. they turn off far too late both for people coming towards you as well as in front of you.

auto highbeams are completely useless on country roads atm. they turn off far too late both for people coming towards you as well as in front of you.
For me the annoyance with auto high beams have been the constant auto switching back to low beams because of reflection from signs at the side of the road, then when it switches back the reflection loses its intensity so it switches back to high beams and then gets the reflection again and switches to low beams. they should teach the sensor or neural net to recognize the reflections and get it to ignore reflection from its own lights.

I've got a service appointment booked for next week to look at a few issues I discovered post delivery (A couple of misaligned panels mainly). Can somebody tell me how these are normally dealt with? Do I drop the car off at service and I'm without a car for (x) weeks until fixed? Or do they send me off to liaise with an approved bodyshop to get sorted out.

For me the annoyance with auto high beams have been the constant auto switching back to low beams because of reflection from signs at the side of the road, then when it switches back the reflection loses its intensity so it switches back to high beams and then gets the reflection again and switches to low beams. they should teach the sensor or neural net to recognize the reflections and get it to ignore reflection from its own lights.

yeah i get that too. very annoying. they should just include an auto full beam soft setting where it behaves like traditional autobeams.

If the bug reports for errors with anything other than the MCU are not transmitted, how does Tesla learn about the problems with NoA, poor auto-high beam etc?

I don't know how they will ever learn that Auto High Beam is utterly useless but issues with Navigate On Autopilot etc are learned via your car uploading video clips and associated telemetry on a nightly basis to Tesla whenever you aggressively took control over from Autopilot. If you have a sophisticated Wifi system at home you can actually monitor and see your car upload literally a couple of gigabytes of video/data per month (if you do enough driving)....

BUT....if you want to help improve the autopilot behaviour then you must TURN ON DATA SHARING in the "Safety & Security" settings as it's off by default.

We really all need to turn this on if we're going to have any hope to improve autopilot in RHD Australian conditions and road markings.

IMG_2095.jpeg
IMG_2094.jpeg
IMG_2093.jpeg

They are definitely collecting some data.
Heres my uploads since I've had my car.
CleanShot 2019-12-30 at 15.59.03@2x.png

1.42GB is the downloads which are a mix of Software Updates and a tiny bit of Spotify.

I've only done around 2,332km on the car and assuming there's only around 400-500km on autopilot that's around 1.12MB of data per km, I hope to see improvements on Aussie roads in the future.

Reactions: Hairyman