Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove for a couple of hours in the country last night. Auto High Beam was pretty good.

Sure, there were a number of false triggers from reflections - but not as many as I expected. I also felt it was a bit slow to switch back to high beam.

But... The main point for me was that there was only one point where it stayed on high beam when I thought it shouldn't have and I had to turn off high beam manually. (car in front of me - not oncoming - was a bit close for my liking).

So, it fails safe in almost all situations and that's exactly what it should do.

Drove for a couple of hours in the country last night. Auto High Beam was pretty good.

Sure, there were a number of false triggers from reflections - but not as many as I expected. I also felt it was a bit slow to switch back to high beam.

But... The main point for me was that there was only one point where it stayed on high beam when I thought it shouldn't have and I had to turn off high beam manually. (car in front of me - not oncoming - was a bit close for my liking).

So, it fails safe in almost all situations and that's exactly what it should do.

if you drive it in melbourne then you will have i.e. loads of bends in your highways and street lights which illuminate other cars and keep them out of view until they are superclose. That means the AI recognizes other cars much quicker. If you drive on long country roads it takes Autopilot a long time to recognize the 2 bright dots in front of you as a car. They stay on way too long...

I still don't like the fact that the speedo is not in front of the driver. I find that I rarely check the speed I am driving at now that I have to check it on the centre screen, which probably means that I am going to get booked for unintentional speeding soon:(. It's hard to change the habit after 30 years of driving.

I still don't like the fact that the speedo is not in front of the driver. I find that I rarely check the speed I am driving at now that I have to check it on the centre screen, which probably means that I am going to get booked for unintentional speeding soon:(. It's hard to change the habit after 30 years of driving.
Didn't you ever have a Mini?

You can set the audible speed warning. It’s a bit too annoying for me, but I use Waze at the same time for speed traps so get the less annoying speed warning from that. :cool:

Well after 53 years of driving I found it quite easy to adjust. Even my wife who regularly forgets where her glasses, her phone, her handbag...have gone, has no problem with keeping her speed. Mind you, on her profile she has set the overspeed warning, so maybe that could be your solution.

Reactions: 1st in Line
If you always drive on autopilot, or at least autospeed, then no worries. It takes me too much effort to control the speed manually.

Reactions: baillies
I still don't like the fact that the speedo is not in front of the driver. I find that I rarely check the speed I am driving at now that I have to check it on the centre screen, which probably means that I am going to get booked for unintentional speeding soon:(.
I got used to it pretty quickly, and I like having no distractions right in front of me. I set the speed warning chime on, and it does get rather annoying, but only because it is so damn easy in this car to exceed the speed limit given how smooth and quiet it is! :)

Reactions: Techno-phile
I'd probably enable it if the maps were more up-to-date. About 40% of the roads I use around Brisbane have a different limit to what's shown on the screen.

Whenever people complain about not being able to keep to speed limits, I usually shrug and point out that they managed it in their driving test.

In the driving test most people are more concerned with handling complex traffic situations with a manual gearbox and hence usually drive well under the limit - at least in europe. And I can tell you that you only get a minor for speeding usually in the test if the examiner cares at all. They will usually drive slightly over the limit too privately.

You can edit openmap (which is what tesla uses) and update the speed limits. Will take I think about 1 month or so to appear in the car.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
What worked well for you?

Genuinely curious.

I found it completely useless.

On Melbourne's eastern freeway (5 lanes in each side), end of day so low traffic. When it came to exit, it moved to the rightmost lane, even though navigation clearly knew where the exit was.
And regardless of traffic, it never once went to the left lane. Forget about keeping left unless overtaking rules.

Worse bit is the new mode that reduce speed if it thinks there's traffic.

So, still on that freeway, doing 100kph, 2nd lane from the left, barely any traffic, I passed a car doing 80kph on the leftmost lane. The car slammed on the brake and reduce its speed to 83, passed the car and accelerated back to 100.

And voice command works well, until it doesn't and refuse to accept any commands.

Very disappointing update. It sounded so promising.

Same problem on the Eastern both directions moves over to the right and misses exit totally - almost like driving a left hand drive car. Same problem on Tullamarine, I guess it will improve with all the data on lane change cancellations. Turned off automatic lane changing as the flashing of the indicator and my manual cancellation became embarrassing.
Don’t use the overtake slower traffic function - I’ll wait for it to select the correct lane for exit first, almost as if no one has even mapped the freeways for nav on autopilot.