Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, set off at 80% which showed 400 km range on the GOM. I have left my Aeros on, I don’t like the look of the wheels without them. My lifetime efficiency is 166 Wh/km but I’ve only driven 388 km so far. Since the last charge it is 147 Wh/km. That is very good. My LEAF’s lifetime efficiency is 142 Wh/km, and it is a smaller and far lighter car.

Your comment about driving with the heater on is a key bit of info. The heater in Model 3 is resistive, not reverse-cycle AC, so uses a LOT more power which would have a noticeable effect on range and reported efficiency.

Yes, much better to use seat heaters than the main heater!

How would you even know you have turned it on? Reducing the amount of cooling by raising the temp setting slightly does not mean the heating has to be on.
In the LEAF it’s obvious when then resistive heater is being used because the climate control energy meter goes up to 2.5kW.

In Model 3, I hypothesise that If you’re trying to raise the cabin temperature it will use the heater, and if you’re trying to lower it, the A/C would be used. So the best way to know would be to look at your Tesla app to see what it reports as the interior temperature, and compare that to the temperature that you’ve set in the climate control. Not a direct method, granted, but a method.

Hi all. I've got a set of four 19" Model 3 wheels for sale. From EVWheels. I have them for sale due to last minute change of mind. They are satin black TST turbine style will only fit M3 Non Performance. Brand new in boxes still. Cost me $2900 to import. Make me an offer. Pickup from Hallett Cove South Australia otherwise I'm driving to Melbourne suburbs around 19th Jan so can bring them there. Or you can arrange shipping. Message me.... Thanks. Enjoy your Tesla!
20190902_104213.jpg
20200108_083015.jpg

Attachments

• 20190902_104239.jpg
    20190902_104239.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 45
In the LEAF it’s obvious when then resistive heater is being used because the climate control energy meter goes up to 2.5kW.

In Model 3, I hypothesise that If you’re trying to raise the cabin temperature it will use the heater, and if you’re trying to lower it, the A/C would be used. So the best way to know would be to look at your Tesla app to see what it reports as the interior temperature, and compare that to the temperature that you’ve set in the climate control. Not a direct method, granted, but a method.

Hey Vostok, just so you know the model 3 does not have a heater like the S/X and gen 1 Leaf. It uses waste heat from the motor to heat the cabin and can run the motor in a different (inefficient) mode to generate heat.

So with a model 3 in cold weather it is best to preheat before unplugging then the motor will already be hot and can run in normal efficient mode whilst driving. Alternatively use the seat heaters and wait a few minutes of driving before turning heating on like an ICE car.

Bjorn tested winter camping and found it was less efficient than in S/X, I think it is designed to be efficient whilst driving, not for long periods whilst not driving. I think he has done some more recent tests but I haven’t checked if it was better. I was a little surprised they didn’t use a heat pump for model 3 but I guess the motor generates enough heat most of the time whilst driving.

edit: actually the au manual shows a cabin heater so I am not sure how the heating system works now?

So with regard to range say for a M3 LR AWD isn't it false advertising from Tesla ? Why would they state the car has a WLTP range of 560 KM where as my range indicates I can only get 498 KM as 100% charge ?
It’s not false advertising by Tesla. They used the test method developed in Europe on a stationary dynamo and got 560km based on the WLTP mix of urban and highway driving.

Real world range involving hills, high speed, lots of passengers etc is always different. I get about 380km reliably in my SR+

Hi all, over Christmas we ended up with two sets of car mats. If anyone would like to buy them from us the details are as follows:

Taptes all-weather floor mats for Tesla Model 3 (set of 3 mats – 2 front and one rear). They are black and fit right hand drive. We paid $US 149.99 (approx. $231 AUD). They are new and un-used, however the small metal “Tesla” logo on one of the mats has been attached slightly crookedly. We are happy to sell them for $160 AUD. If you are interested, please personal message me. Thanks.

Hi early M3P owners that have swapped out their silver wheels.

I need to replace one buckled 20” Performance wheel, in silver. Location is Sydney. Must be as new, removed shortly after purchase, no chance of having been damaged.

Advised by Tesla customer service, new A$1090, plus GST, plus must be shipped from the US, unknown number of weeks.

Fortunately mine is still drivable, possibly repairable, so no rush. Prefer not to drive on a repaired wheel, will keep it at home as a 5th wheel spare.

Price ?

Reactions: jyavenard
I am still waiting for Tesla to fix post delivery issues with the car (I took delivery in early october). They ignore my emails and service requests you just get a single text message after which they ignore you. Over phone you are just stuck in a phoneloop forever.
Does anyone know how to get hold of someone competent at Tesla?

Also I need to have the rear windshield replaced - does anyone know who in FNQ deals with glass for Teslas? Their panel shops don't.

I am still waiting for Tesla to fix post delivery issues with the car (I took delivery in early october). They ignore my emails and service requests you just get a single text message after which they ignore you. Over phone you are just stuck in a phoneloop forever.
Does anyone know how to get hold of someone competent at Tesla?

Also I need to have the rear windshield replaced - does anyone know who in FNQ deals with glass for Teslas? Their panel shops don't.
What happens when you book a Service appointment using the Tesla App, specifying the defects to be cured?
That (nearly) worked for me.

I am still waiting for Tesla to fix post delivery issues with the car (I took delivery in early october). They ignore my emails and service requests you just get a single text message after which they ignore you. Over phone you are just stuck in a phoneloop forever. Does anyone know how to get hold of someone competent at Tesla?
Hmmm... I emailed Service ANZ On 3 Jan re my missing boot rivets (see thread What was missing from your Model 3? (if anything...)) and they booked me in for a “service” Monday morning this week (notified by email and in the Tesla App) and popped them in for me while I waited. I also purchased a frunk mat and tyre repair kit while I was there. They have also ordered in frunk hooks for me. Painless.

What happens when you book a Service appointment using the Tesla App, specifying the defects to be cured?
That (nearly) worked for me.

they send a single text message i.e. to elaborate but then dont reply any further. I.e. for the window they sent me a quote for the parts + labour if done in Brisbane and I asked them where I can get the window replaced and then no further replys.

Hmmm... I emailed Service ANZ On 3 Jan re my missing boot rivets (see thread What was missing from your Model 3? (if anything...)) and they booked me in for a “service” Monday morning this week (notified by email and in the Tesla App) and popped them in for me while I waited. I also purchased a frunk mat and tyre repair kit while I was there. They have also ordered in frunk hooks for me. Painless.

is that service.au@tesla or whateve the email was?

What sort of real world range are people getting with their M3s in Aust?
I have a new LR with aero covers removed. First longer country drive today. A mere 315kms covered arriving with 73km/15% remaining! Consumption was 196Wh/km. Chill mode, not over 105kmh and pretty leisurely driving. Cool day, drizzle so wipers & lights on the whole way. Just driver and no load. 388km is a long way short of the NEDC 620km figure and even less than the SR NEDC 460km. I knew the NEDC was never going to be achievable, but had sort of hoped something like the cars cluster displayed 500km range might have been possible in real work driving. Is this fairly typical?

Well I did the return trip today along the same route and the difference was significant. Consumption on the way back was a mere 149Wh/km vs 196Wh/km ! Both trips started with battery at 100%. Today I arrived with 21% more charge!

ReturnTrip.jpg

Temperature was around 30C today instead of 15C on the outbound leg. Heater was not being used, just AC for cooling. Battery did not need heating in the first part of the journey, so I saw none of the high 220Wh/km average consumption that was there in the first hour of the outbound trip. Wipers and lights were not used. Seems it likes the hot weather. Interestingly I also logged today's drive with Teslafi and it reckons I did even better than the GOM consuming only 44kWh equating to 140 Wh/km. My faith in the cars range has been restored after this.

That difference in the very high battery charge comes from regenerative breaking being disabled. Even when driving on the motorway with the road sometimes going down a bit or slowing for the cars in front of you, the car uses regenerative breaking and puts some power back to battery thus getting better average on the Wh/km display. It makes a massive difference. At about 90% the car will allow full advantage of regen to be put back in the battery.
When battery is full or near full, it will not accept extra charge at the rate regen would push it and so the extra power is lost.
no this is not how it works. you waste energy with regenerative braking and while you do not use the brakes it is always more efficient to drive without

Hi all, over Christmas we ended up with two sets of car mats. If anyone would like to buy them from us the details are as follows:

Taptes all-weather floor mats for Tesla Model 3 (set of 3 mats – 2 front and one rear). They are black and fit right hand drive. We paid $US 149.99 (approx. $231 AUD). They are new and un-used, however the small metal “Tesla” logo on one of the mats has been attached slightly crookedly. We are happy to sell them for $160 AUD. If you are interested, please personal message me. Thanks.

hi i might be keen. are those the rubber ones? can you pm me a pic? (im on my phone not sure how to pm)

TeslaFi will also log elevation change from start to end. I have noticed that elevation to be also a key factor for Wh/km consumption, even for long trips.

Yep, I have noticed the big effect of elevation because whichever way I drive from my house is down! Here are some examples from home (2 west then 1 east to Sydney)... and this is with taking off at lights with the AC on etc.

Car ave after 3000km is 148 though so you can guess the figures needed to get me home!

View media item 120815View media item 120813View media item 120814

Last edited:
no this is not how it works. you waste energy with regenerative braking and while you do not use the brakes it is always more efficient to drive without
Not always. In situations where one has to brake, such as a traffic light changing to red or descending the Bulli pass it is more efficient to use regen than traditional brakes. You save energy here. But I get your point, the most efficient and somewhat impractical method would be not to brake at any point.