Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 427783

Yes, everyone on this forum has made the actually logical choice and ordered the M3P in blue without the cosmetic performance upgrade.

Just a noob question with regards to the $6200 performance option, as I understand you get better brakes/ lowered suspension and track mode? Am I missing something or did I order the wrong thing?

Is there a good comparison or something to help me understand the P vs P+?

Yep ordered the deep blue metallic. Wait time is excruciating yes! But if you have waited this long, what is another 6-8 weeks right? (HINT: Could be longer, hope it's not BUT you never know). Meanwhile I am having a lot of fun looking at accessories and NOT a lot of fun looking at charging cables etc.
We forgo'ed the chance to have a garage and chose garden space instead. So, no wall charger for us. But living in inner North Melbourne, CERES is the closest for us (walking distance) so charge there and also Richmond SC with superchargers (work from home so happy to go at any time during the day or night).

We currently own a 2015 Discovery Sport TD4 HSE and with a 13 month old, it's roomy and has the oomph to go with it as well. What have most Tesla owners done or are thinking of doing with their existing car(s) once they get delivery of their M3? We don't know honestly. Could sell it as we have existed without a 2nd car for more than 3 years now. Or keep the 4WD for longer interstate trips where comfort and space with a toddler is of premium importance to us. Our goal was/is to contribute zero through car emissions so we might have a transition period to go through. My wife and I are currently fighting over who gets to drive it EVERY DAY!! lol

We're also going to be the first in our neighbourhood to get an EV so apprehensive of parking it in the street and having it keyed or damaged. Anyone else in this situation? The Honda Civic badges look like a sound investment at the moment IMHO :p

And yes, bracing for the ineveitable questions/interest from the neighbours (we are friends with) about our decision to go EV. We may all vote GREEN but there is a lot of conservative sentiment in our neighbourhood who won't get why we would want to pay 80K for a EV

Also is the US performance model different compared to the Oz version? I feel like it is all included there.
The US and EU (minus UK) have only the P+, which is identical to the P- with Performance Upgrade Pack, and below that the AWD (which is identical to a P- but with a nerfed rear engine). The UK RHD range is also SR+/P-/P+.

The US model is quite different because it's LHD, though ;-).

Yep ordered the deep blue metallic. Wait time is excruciating yes! But if you have waited this long, what is another 6-8 weeks right? (HINT: Could be longer, hope it's not BUT you never know). Meanwhile I am having a lot of fun looking at accessories and NOT a lot of fun looking at charging cables etc.
We forgo'ed the chance to have a garage and chose garden space instead. So, no wall charger for us. But living in inner North Melbourne, CERES is the closest for us (walking distance) so charge there and also Richmond SC with superchargers (work from home so happy to go at any time during the day or night).

We currently own a 2015 Discovery Sport TD4 HSE and with a 13 month old, it's roomy and has the oomph to go with it as well. What have most Tesla owners done or are thinking of doing with their existing car(s) once they get delivery of their M3? We don't know honestly. Could sell it as we have existed without a 2nd car for more than 3 years now. Or keep the 4WD for longer interstate trips where comfort and space with a toddler is of premium importance to us. Our goal was/is to contribute zero through car emissions so we might have a transition period to go through. My wife and I are currently fighting over who gets to drive it EVERY DAY!! lol

We're also going to be the first in our neighbourhood to get an EV so apprehensive of parking it in the street and having it keyed or damaged. Anyone else in this situation? The Honda Civic badges look like a sound investment at the moment IMHO :p

And yes, bracing for the ineveitable questions/interest from the neighbours (we are friends with) about our decision to go EV. We may all vote GREEN but there is a lot of conservative sentiment in our neighbourhood who won't get why we would want to pay 80K for a EV
Two important points in your post. When I got the model S three years I let the wife have a drive. She decided it would be hers. Never argue with the wife. You wont win.
I have found repeatedly, if you get a new european brand everyone sniggers and the envy comes out. If you get a tesla for the same price the reaction is completely different. The general reaction is that you have made a clever choice.

The main reactions I have ever had since I've had my S, is "wow you have a Tesla". There was one person who made a snide comment, who I then said get in and I'll take you for a spin. They did, and were blown away. And when I told them the range I got (in 100D) they were astounded.
But the biggest reaction of all is when you drive past kids who are between about 7-13 years old. They all know the car and point at it. I can't remember the number of times I have seen kids point and, with a smile, say "that's a Tesla". Now that is cool

Two important points in your post. When I got the model S three years I let the wife have a drive. She decided it would be hers. Never argue with the wife. You wont win.
Not with this one I won’t PaulP :p. She’s English and knows her cars inside out (thanks to her dad who is an avid car enthusiast). We have the Range Rover and a 73 E-Type Jag series 3 in BRG. I’ll be glad to get a glimpse every now and then!!

I have found repeatedly, if you get a new european brand everyone sniggers and the envy comes out. If you get a tesla for the same price the reaction is completely different. The general reaction is that you have made a clever choice.

Hmmm..watch this space. I don’t suppose we would ever inspire any of them to invest in an EV..no, I definitely don’t think so..

The main reactions I have ever had since I've had my S, is "wow you have a Tesla". There was one person who made a snide comment, who I then said get in and I'll take you for a spin. They did, and were blown away. And when I told them the range I got (in 100D) they were astounded.
But the biggest reaction of all is when you drive past kids who are between about 7-13 years old. They all know the car and point at it. I can't remember the number of times I have seen kids point and, with a smile, say "that's a Tesla". Now that is cool

That is an awesome reaction to get Smithy..makes your day. My neighbour has 4 grandkids in between 16-8 and yes! they will go apeshit when we give them their first ride in it. This will put a smile to my face.

Yep kids know, my nearly teenage son makes me normally pick him up from school by parking the down street has advised me when I get the Model 3 I am allowed to drive through the kiss and drop and pick him up then in front of his friends, I'm finally allowed to be seen

• Funny
Reactions: miimura and paul3
Just a noob question with regards to the $6200 performance option, as I understand you get better brakes/ lowered suspension and track mode? Am I missing something or did I order the wrong thing?

There is no such thing as a noob question. There are only questions many others wished they had asked.

These are just my personal views. Nothing else.

1) The $6200 performance option is actually 9 - 10k once you factor in LCT and stamp duty depending on the state of rego.
2) If you are planning to occasionally track your car then the upgrade is a nice mid level option. You get bigger brakes, 20" wheels (allows the bigger disks) and track mode which would be a hassle to add later. The lowered suspension, spoiler and pedal covers are pretty easy to do by yourself at any time.
3) The 20" wheels will be worse for normal driving but they will look better. Just fit the 18's with Michelin 4s' at $239 a corner if you want full grip but can live without the looks whilst getting better range.
4) There are much better suspension upgrades out there with some really good coil overs or progressive springs available.

In short, if you don't plan on tracking the car don't get it. It will be worse in the real world.
If you want to track the car once or twice then select the option.
If you are going to track it many times get it for track mode and then update the suspension with coilovers... and brakes...and tyres... and enjoy the rabbit hole you are now sucked into (I don't mean that in a bad way... it is heaps of fun).

Reactions: one4spl
I was in Fremont, Ca last week on holiday and stopped by the Tesla factory hoping for a tour. despite owning a Tesla they would not grant me a tour. i was told reservations were made at least a month in advance, i flew into San Jose and was able to rent a Tesla S at Enterprise car rental at the airport.

In short, if you don't plan on tracking the car don't get it. It will be worse in the real world.
If you want to track the car once or twice then select the option.

I ummed and ahhed about the $6200 upgrade. I first ordered it without the upgrade then two days later cancelled and ordered with it. Like you, this is my personal theory. Every time I buy a car if there is an option that increase safety I choose it. The P+ option has bigger/better brakes. So I chose it. According to a lot of reviews the change from 18" to 20" does effect comfort but not by much. Could not care less about spoiler, aluminium pedals, track mode etc. But yeah, for me, the brakes are not readily retrofitable after purchase and, to an extent, improve safety so I chose that option.

Also higher top speed lock.
P is locked to 230-ish kph, P+ is 260-ish.
Unless you’re on the Autobahn I can’t imagine this being a problem.
I had my S75D at 190kph last night, seemed more than fast enough :)

Reactions: ICUDoc
How do they improve safety? Bigger brakes improve cooling but don't necessarily reduce stopping distance.
They don't necessarily reduce distance, but in this case they actually do. Using the standard brakes on the track will quickly destroy them. They are fine for normal road use and the heavy regen taken up in normal driving. However, actual maximum braking on the base factory setup is barely acceptable. I'm not saying it's unsafe, but there is definite room for improvement which is provided by the Performance Upgrade brake package.

The P+ option has bigger/better brakes. So I chose it. ..... But yeah, for me, the brakes are not readily retrofitable after purchase and, to an extent, improve safety so I chose that option.

The only safety reason to select the P+ would be the higher top speed. I could imagine a situation you'd need to outrun a baddy, thus saving the family....

I seriously doubt the bigger brakes would effect the stopping distance, better tyres, yes, not the disc size. They are only bigger to help with heat dissipation, during track use. Because of regen braking, it is well documented, Tesla's are not heavy on brakes.