Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not even convinced I'll install the HPWC

I think for most people for most of the time 10-15A charging overnight is plenty. I feel like having the ability to do the full 11kw charging when I want will just be nice on occasion but rarely. Will just minimise range anxiety. And may help sometimes to be able to charge quicker at the times I get cheaper electricity. I've worked out with the km I do my M3 is probably only going to use as much electricity as my hot water heater does most of the time!

Reactions: one4spl
So anyone know what to do to get 3 phase charging on Model 3 in Australia? I read for the EU variants that the easiest way is to get an electrician to modify the Tesla Model 3 wallcharger and use that as a pseudo-UMC?

Also is 3 phase in Australia 360V or 230V ? I.e. if you were to just pull a single phase do you get 360v x 16A max with the Model 3 or 120V x 16A?

I presumed that the 360/380/400V is just a thing people say to abstractly represent voltage over all 3 phases (i.e. 240V x sq of 3)

Last edited:
So anyone know what to do to get 3 phase charging on Model 3 in Australia? I read for the EU variants that the easiest way is to get an electrician to modify the Tesla Model 3 wallcharger and use that as a pseudo-UMC?

Also is 3 phase in Australia 400V or 240V ? I.e. if you were to just pull a single phase do you get 400v x 16A max with the Model 3 or 240V x 16A?

I'm hoping to buy the old UMC 1 and use that for 3 phase charging while on the go.

As for 3 phase, it's 415V active to active. It's still 240V active to neutral as far as I know.

Reactions: T3SLA3
I really hope its August. I took a gamble and sold my car which is being collected on Monday. Was hoping to only be without a car for a few weeks at the worst!
Based on other first deliveries in a new market that I've read on Reddit over the years, you're probably in for a bit of drama. Unless you can do without it for a month or two, most people recommend not getting rid of your current car until you get assigned a VIN.

Based on other first deliveries in a new market that I've read on Reddit over the years, you're probably in for a bit of drama. Unless you can do without it for a month or two, most people recommend not getting rid of your current car until you get assigned a VIN.
Bugger, ah well. Got the wife's leaf to hoon around in until the Model 3 arrives. Ease me into EV living haha. Will be nice to go from 110KM of range on the Leaf to 300+ when the SR+ arrives.

Also is 3 phase in Australia 360V or 230V ? I.e. if you were to just pull a single phase do you get 360v x 16A max with the Model 3 or 120V x 16A?

Just build yourself an openEVSE kit and you can have different plug ends to use. Kind of like a cheaper juice bar

Reactions: one4spl
Also is 3 phase in Australia 400V or 240V? I.e. if you were to just pull a single phase do you get 400v x 16A max with the Model 3 or 240V x 16A?
Standard voltage in Australia is 230 volts (not 240; the various countries that had standardised previously on 220, 230, and 240 volts - including Australia - have harmonised their standards on 230 volts.)

Phase voltage - meaning the voltage from any single phase to neutral - is 230 volts. Line voltage - meaning the voltage between any two phases - is 400 volts. So if you're tapping any single phase and the neutral line, you'll get 230 volts. If you're running connections between any two phases, you'll get 400 volts.

In the context of the Model 3, you can either get 230 volts times whatever current (usually 32 amps if you're looking to maximise wattage), or 230 volts times whatever current times three (usually 16 amps if you're looking to hit the 11 kW limit.) I'm pretty sure the wall connector isn't designed to tap the voltage between two phases if it's configured for single phase operation.

• Informative
Reactions: Vedaprime
I think for most people for most of the time 10-15A charging overnight is plenty.
The emphasis is on "most".

Our 16A WallPod died, leaving us with only the supplied powerpoint charger for our i3.
Having gotten used to the faster Level 2 charge rate for the i3, it is very painful to now be forced to wait for an overnight charge. My wife prefers the i3 to our Model S since it's more maneuverable.

Admittedly a lot of this angst has to do with the 100km range of the i3, versus our Model S, but imagine a Tesla with only 10km left and only a powerpoint (been there done that - 36 hours to fully charge and no way of speeding this process up in the area we were in).

The faster the charge the better - for those few times when you need it.

Standard voltage in Australia is 230 volts (not 240; the various countries that had standardised previously on 220, 230, and 240 volts - including Australia - have harmonised their standards on 230 volts.)

Phase voltage - meaning the voltage from any single phase to neutral - is 230 volts. Line voltage - meaning the voltage between any two phases - is 400 volts. So if you're tapping any single phase and the neutral line, you'll get 230 volts. If you're running connections between any two phases, you'll get 400 volts.

In the context of the Model 3, you can either get 230 volts times whatever current (usually 32 amps if you're looking to maximise wattage), or 230 volts times whatever current times three (usually 16 amps if you're looking to hit the 11 kW limit.) I'm pretty sure the wall connector isn't designed to tap the voltage between two phases if it's configured for single phase operation.

i thought Model 3 can take only 16A? 32A would be great.... 7kw single phase isnt too bad as 11kw involves either a juicebooster or some tinkering.

I've written a couple of articles about my OpenEVSE and charging adaptors.

Blog — TSL43.info

I'm keen for feedback!

Thanks for the blog post, it helped me a lot.

I haven’t been able to see much in the way of adaptors on the market for the Caravan Mains/Commando plugs (1 phase 16-32 amp three round pins). There is a place in the US selling them “on back order” as adaptors for the Tesla mobile connector, but haven’t seen much else around. The Juice Booster has either 3 flat pin or 5 round pin plugs.

I’m unlikely ever to need such a thing, but to satisfy curiosity I wondered if you had.

Just build yourself an openEVSE kit and you can have different plug ends to use. Kind of like a cheaper juice bar

Sounds like the openEVSE isn't necessary easy to setup with 3 phase though, but I'm not that interesting in mobile 3 phase charging so didn't fully look into it.

i thought Model 3 can take only 16A? 32A would be great.... 7kw single phase isnt too bad as 11kw involves either a juicebooster or some tinkering.

Read this. Blog — TSL43.info
But it can do 11kw max AC charging in short. But given 32A is probably the most you can draw on single phase (and maybe all the car can do on single phase) means single phase is probably max 7kw. Put in 3 phase and wire up the wall connector and you have 11kw charging, simple, but can be expensive for some.

I have a feeling that the Model 3 has 3 inbuilt chargers that are 16A each and run on each phase, (hence why maybe you heard 16A), but if using single phase it joins two together to give 32A three phase charging.

I have a feeling that the Model 3 has 3 inbuilt chargers that are 16A each and run on each phase, (hence why maybe you heard 16A), but if using single phase it joins two together to give 32A three phase charging.

How it does it internally doesn’t matter. What matters is the power it can draw to charge the battery.

Per Home Charging Installation, on three phase power, 16 amps is the effective limit. It won’t draw more than that, for 11 kW total power. Single phase delivers one third the power, so the limit is the maximum current for a circuit - 32 amps.

Making a portable 3 phase EVSE thats universal and fool-proof is a fairly complex project. You need to make a system so that the EVSE only ever draws the current that the attached dongle supports. JuiceBooster and Telsa do this via RFID or resistors in the dongle to identify it.

You can definitely do something dodgy with the HPWC but it would be very easy to plug it into something and have it programmed to draw too much current and trip the breaker - or worse. I've put an OpenEVSE in my house so this is my plan if/when I may need it. But I should probably just put it on eBay :-D

If you don't have a spare HPWC then there are other options depending on your appetite for uninsured risk.

Talk to Jet Charge about what extra adaptors they can supply for the Juice Booster, almost anything you want is available or could be made.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Making a portable 3 phase EVSE thats universal and fool-proof is a fairly complex project. You need to make a system so that the EVSE only ever draws the current that the attached dongle supports. JuiceBooster and Telsa do this via RFID or resistors in the dongle to identify it.

You can definitely do something dodgy with the HPWC but it would be very easy to plug it into something and have it programmed to draw too much current and trip the breaker - or worse. I've put an OpenEVSE in my house so this is my plan if/when I may need it. But I should probably just put it on eBay :-D

If you don't have a spare HPWC then there are other options depending on your appetite for uninsured risk.

Talk to Jet Charge about what extra adaptors they can supply for the Juice Booster, almost anything you want is available or could be made.
Thanks for the additional links on the juice booster - answers a lot of my questions.

How it does it internally doesn’t matter. What matters is the power it can draw to charge the battery.

Per Home Charging Installation, on three phase power, 16 amps is the effective limit. It won’t draw more than that, for 11 kW total power. Single phase delivers one third the power, so the limit is the maximum current for a circuit - 32 amps.

no it doesn't. Not since Tesla nerfed their own UMC to no longer support three phase! You are limited to how many Amps and how many volts the car and the adapter can provide as well as whether the car can split a phase i.e. Take a 32A single phase and split it into 16A dual phase for 32A despite 16A being the limit.

no it doesn't. Not since Tesla nerfed their own UMC to no longer support three phase! You are limited to how many Amps and how many volts the car and the adapter can provide as well as whether the car can split a phase i.e. Take a 32A single phase and split it into 16A dual phase for 32A despite 16A being the limit.
You're jumbling up terminology here, in particular it's not splitting a phase. It's rectifying it into DC. There is no such thing as dual phase in Australia.

I've reworded Charging Adaptors to better elaborate on the portable three phase options.

• Informative
Reactions: Vedaprime
You're jumbling up terminology here, in particular it's not splitting a phase. It's rectifying it into DC. There is no such thing as dual phase in Australia.

I've reworded Charging Adaptors to better elaborate on the portable three phase options.

Didn't you say above that if you have a single phase above 16A the internal charger can divide it into 2 phases both which it feeds into 2 of its 3 internal charging circuits (afaik it has 16A x 3)

That is technically right, however:
"AS61000.3.100 (Steady state voltage limits in public electricity systems). This sets an 8% ‘preferred operating zone’ (between 225 and 244 volts) within the allowable range (between 216 and 253 volts)"
And in QLD at least Gold Coast we appear to have usually 240V or a little over in most cases.