Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would make the ship Cap Capricorn. Due Auckland Aug 12. Due Sydney Aug 16.

That is up to 333 containers, if 3 fit in each. It seems like a lot. It was a 13 hour unload/load time, and other cargo unloading/loading.
They usually put 4 passenger cars or 3 SUV-s in a container, so With Model 3, that would be 4 per container bringing the number of containers down a bit.

Also looking at the shipping container costs say from LA to Sydney for 40 foot container:
2019 Overseas Cargo & Freight Costs From Australia
It appears for 1 container $1699 divide that between 4 cars comes $425 per car. I suspect they would have some extra costs on top for insurance and port fees and processing, but the shipping per car this way is not too expensive. I wonder if that is why they list delivery fee of $875 in the car price as included as it actually comes to that with all their costs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vedaprime
I don't think that SMS means much. Over on the Whirlpool forums in the Model 3 thread, the general consensus seems to be that everybody who has an order in received it. I certainly did - LR AWD in white, ordered on the 17th of July with an ETA of September.

Reportedly (via Whirlpool) the Australian Model 3 group on Stalkerbook went nuts, so that collaborates that suspicion. It's possible that they shipped enough cars in advance to cover expected orders, but I'm not going to get excited until they call me up to discuss payment. (But a late August delivery would be lovely, Tesla, if you could manage it...)

Reactions: Dave3333
They usually put 4 passenger cars or 3 SUV-s in a container, so With Model 3, that would be 4 per container bringing the number of containers down a bit.

Thanks. It looks like 4. I saw a config of 3 Model S and X. X is much higher so makes sense the 3 can be 4 inside a container. Interesting how they do it.

Still even at 125 containers for 500 makes a load time of 1 container around every 6 minutes at best load time.

Yep, I sure did.

Brisbane based here.
Just over 2 years reservation holder, ordered 21st June, Performance Stealth, Black Seats (only choice at the time), Midnight Silver Paint.

I was a bit upset too given how good the white looks and how useful it is in australian summer -At the end of the day it is probably a good idea to use seat covers anyway re: sun damage. Might as well just get the white seat covers from taptes for 300 usd. looks pretty much the same as white interior minus the wood trim in the middle and lack of white doorpanels. And cheaper too.