Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I right in thinking some public chargers will require me to buy a type2 to type2 cable to use?
If so this site has both 7.4kw and 22kw versions available. Portable Chargers, EV Charging Cables, EV Leads and EV Adapter Cables | EVSE Australia
Model 3 is limited to 11kw right? I should be fine getting the 7.4kw then and it might be a little slower if the charger is capable of more? Is the rate actually limited to 7.4kw, or will the voltage drop be too great if you tried to use it at 11kw?

Nice choice. My excuse is that I'm too old to remember my rego so personalised plates make it easier. ;)
Yes you are right - there are going to be so many Pearlwhite M3s at the chargers, that we will all be trying to get into each others.
The FOB for the Model S used to open the charge flap of all Teslas in range. Hope that doesn't happen with blue tooth from the app.

After I received the text yesterday, I jumped onto Ezyreg in South Australia and ordered the plate 'THREE'. I was surprised a BMW owner hadn't already taken it.

My wife just said, well at least it will be easy for her to remember. Then she told me to get a move on with selling my P85D.

Item 1 - sentry cam unfortunately records every car that drives past and person that walks past your car. The USB fills quickly and it doesnt over-right itself. You then have to take the usb to a pc and empty it. Not ideal yet, but I’m sure tesla will improve on that..
Item 6 - your tesla shows on the charging screen the optimum daily use charge range of 50-90%. You can charge anywhere in that range without concern. Only go above 90 if required, and never let it sit at 100 for long.
Your street envy concerns.....expect to be harassed and expect strangers to want to talk about your car. For some reason, tesla brings excitement and curiosity out of people rather than jealousy.
Yes it may record everything but I also saw a clip on YouTube that mentioned that if SentryCam goes off, then that incident is recorded on to Tesla Cloud? Not sure if this is true or not but if it does then I'm guessing there is a way to access it?

• Informative
Reactions: 1st in Line
Yep, I hear you. I had T3SLA plates reserved until my daughter called me a wanker. So I let them go. They were gone within mins if anyone is wondering. At this point I'll just go with premium black on white plates and replacing all the badges on the back with Honda Civic Logos. If you have ordered the ultimate sleeper performance car then it is best to let it sleep (BTW - Daughter still thinks this is a total wank move ... Son thinks it is awesome). :)

For years I was thinking of what to write on personalised number plates. I always enjoy reading other people's number plates - even when they are not personalised, I am happy to just see if I remember stock ASX stock codes for the 3 letters used in regular number plates.

That was until my son expressed the same sentiment as your daughter - though perhaps even more strongly worded (use your imagination...).

When it came to the family discussion about what exact options to order, my son gave up all his negotiating options and just said that "... as long as you do not get personalised number plates I do not care".

So one Model 3 number plate that people will NOT be able to see is one of my favourites:

1ST INQ

In terms of payment, we are thinking of putting as much as we can or are allowed to on credit card..to maximise points earned on spend. Should be a nice little earner and maybe buy us a couple of holiday airfares in FF points.
But we need a delivery window first, huh? It's downright frustrating that Tesla don't have even a rough estimate so close to their delivery deadline.

And yes, ordered personalised plates about a month ago. T5SLA3. Right, on to some YouTube videos and Taptes for accessories..lol

I’ve always paid with a bank cheque. Will they let you pay with a credit card? (Without a 1.5% surcharge....)

• What type of payment options are available for my Model 3?
    As your delivery date approaches, you will be able to confirm your final payment options in your Tesla Account. Final payment may be made via bank transfer or credit card. Final payments via credit card require a ‘card present’ transaction using CHIP+PIN security. Non-card present payments (such as by phone) cannot be accepted. Credit card surcharge fees apply and will be itemised on your final invoice. Full payment must be received prior to delivery.

Now this is really funny...

Even though I was the first to line up for registration, I did not get an SMS, as my preferred method of communication is via e-mail...

And here’s a good illustration of the issues I have with Tesla now, as a Company. They used to reward and appreciate customers but now they are becoming or have even become: a car company. And they treat their customers like that. Actually worse than a lot of car dealers/stealers as you get better service from Hyundai let alone the premium brands they are supposed to be competing with like Mercedes or Audi. Try going into a Merc or Lexus dealer and see how they treat you. They may deny it but we know Tesla salespeople are on commission and incentivised to sell cars. They used to state their salespeople were paid well and believed in the mission and weren’t trying to push a car on you like traditional dealers - not true as they’re on commission like every other car dealer. And they don’t pay their staff very well either.

Now there aren’t even inventory cars as they were instructed to sell them all so they could improve their bottom line. Temporary measure for sure. And this is acting like a “normal” Company - interested in revenue and profit. Required for sure in a publicly listed company but Tesla used to feel different. The 3 will sell well but it is going to sell like a normal car - competing with all the other manufacturers. And what now makes Tesla stand out? They have great cars but the Company pitch and the niche individual feeling that owners had is now disappearing.

They also couldn’t give two $#ck$ about the Australian market. We’re tiny and so get the second class service and the attention we deserve as a tiny blip on their sales figures. Last in the World for the 3 - dead last - even NZ will get theirs before us. They even bring in early cars and use them for press! WTF‽ what about the people who queued in the rain? No let’s use them for press who add what value? We know the cars, we know what they drive like, we know everything about the model 3 as they’ve been driven all over the world for years now for Gods sake. Who gives a ratS ass what some car journo from a tiny Australian car YouTube channel thinks.

Unfortunately for Tesla the other car dealers are catching up. The Kona has better range and way better cost per KWH even though the car itself IMHO is overpriced. The new Leaf + has a bigger battery and Pro pilot for semi-self driving/driving assistance. Hyundai has some good driver assistance also in both the Ionic and Kona. VW is coming like a freight train with their ID line which will be a compelling option. So the differentiation Tesla used to have is diminishing - rapidly. The supercharger network was a smart move and gives them a market advantage but that is also diminishing as the other networks roll out. Use better route planner and see as the Kona, the Leaf can do some of the long journeys just like a Tesla and it’s free unlike the 3 which will cost you. For comparison the Melbourne to Canberra run is estimated to cost $43 on super chargers. It’s about $70 in my Diesel. But my Diesel cost 1/5th what the 3 costs. *park the environmental concerns just for now. The first Leaf was $60K+ and they didn’t sell. Then they reduced the price to $39990 drive away and they sold them. If the Kona gets a deal like that they will smash them out - they are already outselling Teslas and once they’re half the price - wow.

I’m expecting/hoping that the 3 finally getting here will push up the numbers of S and X vehicles hitting the second hand market and that’s great. Since they are better cars and now we don’t need to give Tesla interest free loans and market interest and pre-orders to raise capital from investors who car about that stuff. Again IMHO a S75 or S85 for 75K or even 80K is a far better value proposition than a 3 in every way. Once an X hits the market for <$100K it’s a hell of an offering.

So I think it’s time to stop kidding ourselves that buying a Tesla is anything other than buying a car. It’s not the mission it’s just a good car in the segment. And it needs to have the service to back it up. It’s no longer acceptable to be giving customers the old - arriving soon, coming shortly, delivered with issues and what ever else they’ve been doing to date as they are now competing on an almost level playing field.

And here’s a good illustration of the issues I have with Tesla now, as a Company. They used to reward and appreciate customers but now they are becoming or have even become: a car company. And they treat their customers like that. Actually worse than a lot of car dealers/stealers as you get better service from Hyundai let alone the premium brands they are supposed to be competing with like Mercedes or Audi. Try going into a Merc or Lexus dealer and see how they treat you. They may deny it but we know Tesla salespeople are on commission and incentivised to sell cars. They used to state their salespeople were paid well and believed in the mission and weren’t trying to push a car on you like traditional dealers - not true as they’re on commission like every other car dealer. And they don’t pay their staff very well either.

Now there aren’t even inventory cars as they were instructed to sell them all so they could improve their bottom line. Temporary measure for sure. And this is acting like a “normal” Company - interested in revenue and profit. Required for sure in a publicly listed company but Tesla used to feel different. The 3 will sell well but it is going to sell like a normal car - competing with all the other manufacturers. And what now makes Tesla stand out? They have great cars but the Company pitch and the niche individual feeling that owners had is now disappearing.

They also couldn’t give two $#ck$ about the Australian market. We’re tiny and so get the second class service and the attention we deserve as a tiny blip on their sales figures. Last in the World for the 3 - dead last - even NZ will get theirs before us. They even bring in early cars and use them for press! WTF‽ what about the people who queued in the rain? No let’s use them for press who add what value? We know the cars, we know what they drive like, we know everything about the model 3 as they’ve been driven all over the world for years now for Gods sake. Who gives a ratS ass what some car journo from a tiny Australian car YouTube channel thinks.

Unfortunately for Tesla the other car dealers are catching up. The Kona has better range and way better cost per KWH even though the car itself IMHO is overpriced. The new Leaf + has a bigger battery and Pro pilot for semi-self driving/driving assistance. Hyundai has some good driver assistance also in both the Ionic and Kona. VW is coming like a freight train with their ID line which will be a compelling option. So the differentiation Tesla used to have is diminishing - rapidly. The supercharger network was a smart move and gives them a market advantage but that is also diminishing as the other networks roll out. Use better route planner and see as the Kona, the Leaf can do some of the long journeys just like a Tesla and it’s free unlike the 3 which will cost you. For comparison the Melbourne to Canberra run is estimated to cost $43 on super chargers. It’s about $70 in my Diesel. But my Diesel cost 1/5th what the 3 costs. *park the environmental concerns just for now. The first Leaf was $60K+ and they didn’t sell. Then they reduced the price to $39990 drive away and they sold them. If the Kona gets a deal like that they will smash them out - they are already outselling Teslas and once they’re half the price - wow.

I’m expecting/hoping that the 3 finally getting here will push up the numbers of S and X vehicles hitting the second hand market and that’s great. Since they are better cars and now we don’t need to give Tesla interest free loans and market interest and pre-orders to raise capital from investors who car about that stuff. Again IMHO a S75 or S85 for 75K or even 80K is a far better value proposition than a 3 in every way. Once an X hits the market for <$100K it’s a hell of an offering.

So I think it’s time to stop kidding ourselves that buying a Tesla is anything other than buying a car. It’s not the mission it’s just a good car in the segment. And it needs to have the service to back it up. It’s no longer acceptable to be giving customers the old - arriving soon, coming shortly, delivered with issues and what ever else they’ve been doing to date as they are now competing on an almost level playing field.

If you really look at what drives Elon, it is desire to save mankind (or that is what he would have us believe). His mission is to get rid of fossil fuels in vehicles, and eventually everywhere it is possible. To do this in a world of sceptics and fossil fuel vested interests, he has done an amazing job of thus far achieving his goals. Of course, on the way, he has had to do whatever would work to keep the mission alive (the end justifies the means).
I would not be too upset at all his time frames, promises of product and whatever else he does to get to where he is now. I paid over $200k on the basis that I may end up with a car that in a few years will be worthless (for a number of reasons) however that was my calculated risk and one that I was prepared to take just to get to drive a car that was unbelievable in it's present state. Anything beyond was going to be a bonus.
Model 3 is less of a risk, but the same process of achieving his goals apply.

To date, no other EV has come anywhere near a Tesla experience, and may not for quite a while.

When Elon if and when finally says "mission accomplished", none of us will be driving his cars on the road, but rather sitting in them whilst we are taken to our destination.

Enjoy the ride while it lasts!

Hi Houdini

Sorry you feel that way. I am totally relaxed about not having received any notification, given that I did not set my communication preferences very carefully.

I have no problem with New Zealanders getting their cars ahead of us, given that they are en-route to Australia and that this therefore makes complete sense from a logistics point of view - to minimise emissions from ships - which are terrible polluters [though that will thankfully improve from 2020, when new global emission regulations for ships will commence].

Press cars are also OK with me. To me the success of Tesla's mission - i.e. acceleration of transition to sustainable transportation - is more important than the car itself.

As for car dealerships, I had a particularly shocking purchase experience with my first car, and from my point of view, the different experience with Tesla is like chalk and cheese. Of course Tesla has to achieve sales, but the level of chicanery you get from traditional car dealers - as far as I can tell from personal experience - is orders of magnitude worse than anything Tesla has done.

Don't get me started on diesel cars - they are not only costing their users, they cost me, they cost my family and they cost future generations. The only good thing about diesel cars is that they are zombies - dead cars driving. I am convinced that they are already history.

I think the S & X were absolute luxury cars, the 3 is mass market - that is why I am getting it. Sure we could get better service from Tesla, but then the cars would need to be more expensive. I knew from day minus 2 , that it would be a long wait for the Model 3.

As for competition - I personally do not find it compelling at the moment, but - just like Elon Musk - I welcome it!

When I paid my deposit for the Model 3, I did so of my own free will - no Tesla personnel put a gun to my head saying I HAVE to pay for the registration.

Tesla and Model 3 is still good enough for me - and I suspect it is good enough for many many others.

If you really look at what drives Elon, it is desire to save mankind (or that is what he would have us believe). His mission is to get rid of fossil fuels in vehicles, and eventually everywhere it is possible. To do this in a world of sceptics and fossil fuel vested interests, he has done an amazing job of thus far achieving his goals. Of course, on the way, he has had to do whatever would work to keep the mission alive (the end justifies the means).
I would not be too upset at all his time frames, promises of product and whatever else he does to get to where he is now. I paid over $200k on the basis that I may end up with a car that in a few years will be worthless (for a number of reasons) however that was my calculated risk and one that I was prepared to take just to get to drive a car that was unbelievable in it's present state. Anything beyond was going to be a bonus.
Model 3 is less of a risk, but the same process of achieving his goals apply.

To date, no other EV has come anywhere near a Tesla experience, and may not for quite a while.

When Elon if and when finally says "mission accomplished", none of us will be driving his cars on the road, but rather sitting in them whilst we are taken to our destination.

Enjoy the ride while it lasts!

I agree completely with what you write. I often shake my head when people complain about Tesla price drops... THAT is Tesla's mission.

If the Model 3 price dropped 50% the day after I had paid for my order, I would still be happy, knowing that my purchase enabled that to happen.

PS: The only thing I do worry about is the increase in the FSD option as I have not ordered that yet [but will re-asses after Day 1 with my Model 3].