Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree 100% here regarding incentives. At the end of the day, we are all waiting for our cars to be delivered because there is ZERO incentive for Elon/Tesla to export to this market when we have no incentives for manufacturers or for customers who adopt EV's as a mode of every day transport vehicle. The better half consults to the Federal government on innovation technology and her committee just can't seem to get the ministers to understand that they need to offer incentives to investors and creators in this field. Meanwhile, every smart bastard from Oz is heading to the USUK/Europe and taking their talents and technology nous with them..

Oh and glad the LCT doesn't apply in Victoria! Ordered the SR+. Don't care about the performance bit. Too old to be drag racing at the lights with a baby strapped in the back :)

LCT is a commonwealth tax, I thought? Big difference between performance and SR+ in the amount you pay, though.

The LCT does not apply to the M3 in Victoria as far as I am aware, although the stamp duty is bad enough.
Yes it does. It's just that the SR+ is below the threshold. Here's the LCT for the performance model in Vic:
Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 11.44.54 am.png

• Informative
Reactions: stuartl
BTW, stamp duty drops after July 1st. For all I know it's Vic only. So you should mentioned that to Tesla before you pay the final amount if you ordered before July 1st.
It'll be taken into account. Stamp duty, LCT, and other government charges are applied at time of delivery; before then, they are merely estimates. No need to mention it (though you can if you're not convinced; I'm willing to bet a very large sum of money that they'll say 'yeah, we know, it's taken care of already' if you do.)

It'll be taken into account. Stamp duty, LCT, and other government charges are applied at time of delivery; before then, they are merely estimates. No need to mention it (though you can if you're not convinced; I'm willing to bet a very large sum of money that they'll say 'yeah, we know, it's taken care of already' if you do.)
I have to mention. Not that I am not convinced. But the family CFO instructed. :p Anyhow I am expecting that it could be around $2,000 off my estimate.

Agree 100% here regarding incentives. At the end of the day, we are all waiting for our cars to be delivered because there is ZERO incentive for Elon/Tesla to export to this market when we have no incentives for manufacturers or for customers who adopt EV's as a mode of every day transport vehicle. The better half consults to the Federal government on innovation technology and her committee just can't seem to get the ministers to understand that they need to offer incentives to investors and creators in this field. Meanwhile, every smart bastard from Oz is heading to the USUK/Europe and taking their talents and technology nous with them..

Oh and glad the LCT doesn't apply in Victoria! Ordered the SR+. Don't care about the performance bit. Too old to be drag racing at the lights with a baby strapped in the back :)

I have a slightly contrarian view to yours, though I understand where you are coming from.

I actually seek neither EV subsidies/incentives nor look for luxury tax expeditions/reductions.

By US (current and future Tesla drivers) seeking these, we can be labelled as feeling "entitled" or becoming just another self-interested lobby group that is corrupting our political system.

HOWEVER, what really really bugs me is that we as a society are subsidising ICE vehicle manufacturers through their social cost, which is being paid for by the tax payer. The burden on the national health system, defence budget, "natural" catastrophes from particulate pollution, fighting for "energy security" as well as climate change is enormous, yet is is not priced into new ICE vehicles.

Obviously, I am still driving an ICE vehicle, and many people will be compelled to keep buying them for a while. I do not want to have a "holier than though" attitude (something us Tesla drivers are already being accused of). However, as a society, people need to become aware of these issues and this is what really needs to change. Especially now, given that there is a better choice.

Also, all we need is a level playing field. What people call "subsidies" that Tesla obtained for some of its factories in the USA are just fairly standard "incentives" that large corporations negotiate with state governments for setting up new facilities in their states and thereby generate new jobs and economic growth. There is so much FUD and misinformation...

Finally, and thereby somewhat contradicting my earlier statement - as a nation - early EV incentives and subsidies would have the advantage of potentially allowing Australia to build a vertically integrated EV technology industry (starting with mining of battery materials all the way to battery and possibly even EV manufacturing), with associated benefits of job creation and economic growth.

In that respect, reading about your wife's experience with ministerial bone-heads causes a certain degree of despair...

HOWEVER, what really really bugs me is that we as a society are subsidising ICE vehicle manufacturers through their social cost, which is being paid for by the tax payer. The burden on the national health system, defence budget, "natural" catastrophes from particulate pollution, fighting for "energy security" as well as climate change is enormous, yet is is not priced into new ICE vehicles.
Also, all we need is a level playing field. What people call "subsidies" that Tesla obtained for some of its factories in the USA are just fairly standard "incentives" that large corporations negotiate with state governments for setting up new facilities in their states and thereby generate new jobs and economic growth. There is so much FUD and misinformation...

Until a population and it's leaders accept that there is a problem, the problem can not be addressed. We are trapped in cycle of denial and outright fear of change.

The only progress I am seeing is more of me face to face contacts are accepting of the reality, even if they then revert to a mode of "well there is nothing I can do" or "somebody else will fix it" in denial of the apparent lack of action in Australia. It seems like we are either in denial or fear/anger modes in this country. I prefer 'acceptance' followed by 'how can I help?'

Agree. I make it ~4 m kg, which would be ~400 containers at 10000kg each (about what a container w/ 4x TM3s in would weigh). I would think most containers would be lighter, though I guess a few very heavy containers might skew things a lot.

I don't know how much they adjust their water ballast, though, which could but the displacement/cargo estimate way out.
I’d be shocked if that many model 3’s are in the initial nz batch