Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have 50-60 confirmed orders on the NZ facebook page where I would guess at most half the buyers are.

Yeah 100 maybe sounds more like it. From the looks of the Aus spreadsheet there are about 100 listed, keeping in mind these are the die-hard people so I think it is entirely reasonable that tesla could satisfy us all in 1-2 shiploads.

Of course I think this car has the potential to really take off in sales once people get a handle on it. Like it did in the US.

That's a fair question, and it's at this point that I'm going to have to bow out. I simply don't know. I suspect a fair part of it would depend on whether they decided it was a wilful avoidance or merely inadvertent, but that's a pure guess.

Me... I'm just buying it in the state of Victoria and paying (somewhat begrudgingly) the $3k in LCT and $3.7k in stamp duty. It's a complete cash grab on the part of the government - I can't see how that much money for stamp duty can be justified (and the rationale for the luxury car tax is long since gone) - but... yeah. Sigh.
I’ve bought a couple of new audi’s in vic even though I’m a resident if SA. (Local dealer here doesnt know what the word discount means). To avoid paying the duty in vic and in sa, I had to get a temporary permit to drive from melbourne to the border, and then a temporary permit to drive from the border to rego office in SA, where the vehicles are inspected and the duty paid.
So yes you will pay twice if you get it wrong. Each state may be different, but governments do like their taxes.

• Informative
Reactions: stuartl
Would think so. But even then, why pay the logistics company to store the cars for a month before you can get them all delivered?
Depends on how much storage space they need, and whether they see the need in the long term. A short term rental may make more sense - it all depends on the specifics of how the cars are coming in, and how quickly they can be moved out the door.

I'm also going out on a limb and thinking Australia doesn't have near as many as we think.

All depends what "we" think.. how many orders do we think for Aust? (not reservations, there will be a lot more of those than actual orders). Also, do we think that Tesla will bring more cars out in anticipation of those reservations converting to orders over the next few months? Or just ship 'em JIT?

My guess, fwiw, is ~5000 reservations and ~1000 orders as of now. I have heard reservations estimates up to 8000 in the past (as well as much greater and less believable numbers)

One thing that is known and not guessed: Tesla really likes to get orders fulfilled as end-of-quarter approaches to get numbers on the books, so they will do their damnedest to get those cars shipped over by mid-end Sept.

Reactions: Dave3333
All depends what "we" think.. how many orders do we think for Aust? (not reservations, there will be a lot more of those than actual orders). Also, do we think that Tesla will bring more cars out in anticipation of those reservations converting to orders over the next few months? Or just ship 'em JIT?

My guess, fwiw, is ~5000 reservations and ~1000 orders as of now. I have heard reservations estimates up to 8000 in the past (as well as much greater and less believable numbers)

One thing that is known and not guessed: Tesla really likes to get orders fulfilled as end-of-quarter approaches to get numbers on the books, so they will do their damnedest to get those cars shipped over by mid-end Sept.
Yep, that latter reason is why I fully expect to be in my car next month!

Reactions: 1st in Line