Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, at some point, possibly..?

It's on the website, in the FAQ, saying it will be offered at the end of the year. That's as much as you will get from Tesla in terms of confirmation, but it's not exactly speculative is it?

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

How much do Standard Connectivity and Premium Connectivity cost?
There is no fee for Standard Connectivity. Pricing for Premium Connectivity will be announced soon, which we expect to be approximately $100 (USD) per year.

Where can Premium Connectivity be purchased?
Tesla owners will be able to purchase Premium Connectivity through the in-car touchscreen. We anticipate rolling out this functionality later this year.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
Thanks to Random206 for gathering the facts onto one place
So far it looks like NZ/Au reservation holders who ordered early are getting VINs
majority P3-

Looking like being none reservation holder....no car for you, and rightly so
I'm in this boat.....and my car not on this boat (cap cap probably hah!)

Ordered 03/06/19
no reservation
no VIN
Stage Prepare for Delivery

no contact from Tesla other than generic emails/txt

To the best of my knowledge no one in NZ has reported here
receiving invoice, other than one that looked like it may have been a credit note
If any NZ cars were on cap cap surely that should be happening soon
Fingers crossed for you reservation holders :)

It's on the website, in the FAQ, saying it will be offered at the end of the year. That's as much as you will get from Tesla in terms of confirmation, but it's not exactly speculative is it?

Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

How much do Standard Connectivity and Premium Connectivity cost?
There is no fee for Standard Connectivity. Pricing for Premium Connectivity will be announced soon, which we expect to be approximately $100 (USD) per year.

Where can Premium Connectivity be purchased?
Tesla owners will be able to purchase Premium Connectivity through the in-car touchscreen. We anticipate rolling out this functionality later this year.

Lol @natetm3 this is from August 2018. Still not rolled out, and no progress. Tesla has no plans. This is definitely speculative.

Lol @natetm3 this is from August 2018. Still not rolled out, and no progress. Tesla has no plans. This is definitely speculative.

Take a moment to think about it - why would Tesla, who have already got all of the necessary components in the car and are already paying for a LTE service for every vehicle, not recoup costs by selling an overpriced streaming service to non premium interior vehicles? One that they have documented on their website they intend to provide?

I get that those who have paid the premium for the LR AWD, P- and P+ want some exclusivity for that money, but streaming audio is not going to be it, Tesla will use it as a differentiator to sell premium vehicles for a while, then offer the subscription to everyone to collect subscription revenue. What on earth is speculative about the enablement of such a simple service? It's the difference between me opening Spotify on my phone over bluetooth or on my screen, and I'll pay US$100 per year to Tesla for that benefit? It's a no brainer for them, the margin would be significant on every service.

Reactions: jontyh
New If you order the vehicle now it does state one year free premium. But for the very first batch of orders this was never stated so does that mean:

It will be C, and everyone will be outraged but cop it, just like the deleted homelink for premium and the fog lights for SR+. So far every variant of the car had advertised features that we will not be getting, and one variant of the car disappeared totally, yet everyone gets outraged for a few days and nothing changes.

If you order the vehicle now it does state one year free premium. But for the very first batch of orders this was never stated so does that mean:

A) no premium
B) premium for life
C) 1 year free premium
D) I really want my Tesla now please Elon

B. Tesla are pretty good with tracking vehicle differences. I don't know how they do it, their differences list must be exhaustive AF, but they do it somehow!

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp

Hey this is actually quite interesting. It looks like the wording for being able to purchase premium connectivity has definitely changed. It used to say something along the lines of ‘connectivity plans for standard connectivity to be announced later’ rather than an outright option to purchase premium connectivity.

OK all, form is back up and running again and now accepts the ability to add info if you don't have a VIN yet too. Have at it, and always welcome for feedback!

Form:
AUS / NZ Tesla Model 3 VIN Submission Form

Results:
AUS / NZ Tesla Model 3 VIN Submission Form (Responses)

Thanks for the great work in helping us try to decipher the cryptic slivers of information we have so far.
I was first to respond to the Submission Form, before you added bells and whistles, so to provide better data I've resubmitted a full response. Could you please delete my original response at line 2 as my second response is more accurate.

Reactions: Random206
Thanks for the great work in helping us try to decipher the cryptic slivers of information we have so far.
I was first to respond to the Submission Form, before you added bells and whistles, so to provide better data I've resubmitted a full response. Could you please delete my original response at line 2 as my second response is more accurate.
No worries mate, all done.
Thanks for providing the extra details mate, much appreciated.

Take a moment to think about it - why would Tesla, who have already got all of the necessary components in the car and are already paying for a LTE service for every vehicle, not recoup costs by selling an overpriced streaming service to non premium interior vehicles? One that they have documented on their website they intend to provide?

I get that those who have paid the premium for the LR AWD, P- and P+ want some exclusivity for that money, but streaming audio is not going to be it, Tesla will use it as a differentiator to sell premium vehicles for a while, then offer the subscription to everyone to collect subscription revenue. What on earth is speculative about the enablement of such a simple service? It's the difference between me opening Spotify on my phone over bluetooth or on my screen, and I'll pay US$100 per year to Tesla for that benefit? It's a no brainer for them, the margin would be significant on every service.
I’m not completely certain, however I think the $100 is for the telstra 4g sim card, the consequences being streaming music and phone app connectivity to the car beyond immediate bluetooth. If you dont have the sim connectivity updates will only occur on wifi, when connected.

Reactions: Random206

This is the question everyone has been asking for the last year. You’d think they would implement this as soon as they could, but they still haven’t. They can bill for supercharges, but still haven’t developed a system for this which is weird.