Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL for those of you with the T3SLA plates etc. Be glad you're not in Canberra, a cash grabbing government cesspool. They check your plates for these combo and if it happens to spell the make of a vehicle your custom plate just jumped in price. At least the stamp duty is free. Cannot imagine who would pay this much for plates.
I have no issue with this. If people want to replicate the make or model of their vehicle on a vanity plate, when in most cases the same text is already badged on the car itself, then separate them from their cash. Governments are doing us a social service in this instance.

I suspect however this is mainly directed towards the manufacturers themselves, who may want to vacuum up all such plates for their own use on demos/exec cars/promos etc. In which case, it is again a social service.

Thank you, ACT Government.

the model 3 also burns fossil fuel when you plug it into the charger which gets its electricity in Australia predominantly from coal. same thing.

Not quite. You can charge from your own solar, or buy from renewable sources, tho I am on south island NZ and all our power is hydro.

Even if its powered by a coal plant its still better than a diesel..

the model 3 also burns fossil fuel when you plug it into the charger which gets its electricity in Australia predominantly from coal. same thing.
mine won't (at least for home charging) I have 20Kw of solar installed and 30kwh of battery storage. I should be able to be totally solar unless its a road trip.

Not quite. You can charge from your own solar, or buy from renewable sources, tho I am on south island NZ and all our power is hydro.

Even if its powered by a coal plant its still better than a diesel..

Food for thought on this, NZ is already burning gas and coal in Huntly as the hydro output is already well used. Any additional load by EVs over the current grid loading will need to come from burning, until more hydros can be built or wind gets substantially more and or better. The other option is to get rid of that smelter and figure out how to get Manapouri's generation piped north.

I've tried a few times to figure out how much better coal / gas is at a central source than burning petrol or diesel, but I'm not smart enough and my head starts hurting :(:D

mine won't (at least for home charging) I have 20Kw of solar installed and 30kwh of battery storage. I should be able to be totally solar unless its a road trip.

that's good for you but it does not apply to standard EV user and neither does it apply to you when you go on long range trips.
It's all dandy to live under this illusion that EVs are all 0 emissions but this is not the case - even though in Australia if there is one thing there is too much here it is sunlight. But that's political...

• Disagree
Reactions: tom_kauf and Vostok
that's good for you but it does not apply to standard EV user and neither does it apply to you when you go on long range trips.
It's all dandy to live under this illusion that EVs are all 0 emissions but this is not the case - even though in Australia if there is one thing there is too much here it is sunlight. But that's political...

The good thing with EVs is they can get lower emissions the longer you own them, home charge from solar or 100% renewable, choose charging networks that do the same etc.

- We will hold your car while you are away if you pay the full amont
- Your car won't be held if you can't pick-up within 7 days of us giving you a delivery date, it will be re-allocate

Here's what I am thinking. Don't tell them you cant pick the car up if you are away.

Pay for it and have it registered. They cannot unregister the car and wind-up the sale after it goes through. They will literally have to store the car for you. Title passes to you once it's paid, and once the rego is in your name the buck stops there.

Here's what I am thinking. Don't tell them you cant pick the car up if you are away.

Pay for it and have it registered. They cannot unregister the car and wind-up the sale after it goes through. They will literally have to store the car for you. Title passes to you once it's paid, and once the rego is in your name the buck stops there.
They could have it towed haha

My understanding if all Tesla superchargers (what you'd most likely use on a long trip) are powered by renewable power.
You are right though for some people they won't be 0 emissions, but for even the worse case owner charging off coal the emissions are still better than a normal car, and EVs will push more renewables to be built even more in Australia.