Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed they have separate cables for Type 2 - Type 2 for single phase and 3 phase. Does that mean we need to purchase both cables or can the 3 phase one be also used for all needs?
Three phase can be used for both. and would allow you to charge at up to 11Kw depending on the capacity of the source.
A single phase cable would limit you to 7.3Kw.
The 3 phase is heavier as it can support up to 22 Kw.

• Informative
Reactions: apchoo
So again a long training run for me (20km this time) and again past the delivery centre in Richmond.
This time there was a lucky bugger thanking delivery of his grey model 3. I got hurried very politely out of the way by a very nice young lady as I was all sweaty and in the way. She probably thought I was going to smudge the car.
Oh well, our day will come eventually

I noticed they have separate cables for Type 2 - Type 2 for single phase and 3 phase. Does that mean we need to purchase both cables or can the 3 phase one be also used for all needs?
One cable will do if you get the 32A three phase version. 32a on one phase or 16a on three for the Model3. (Per the article I linked :p

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Model 3s were also supposed to get smart air suspension...
Full self driving was due 2 years ago...
10K weekly M3 production was due end of 2018...
etc, etc, etc....

Tesla often strives for lofty goals. Tesla would not be where it is today, without hitting many of those seemingly unattainable goals.

However, in the end their actions are usually a trade-off driven by the stated goals and what is practical and what makes commercial sense.

Given the capital investment already made to enable manufacturing RHD Model 3s in the USA, duplicating that capital investment in China for manufacturing of RHD vehicles targeting relatively small export markets probably does not make much commercial sense [imho].

However, throw in totally unpredictable and ill-considered Tweets from the White House that completely change the global trade playing field and all bets are off.

Hmm, I disagree. A purely resistive heater will have an efficiency of about 1 all the time; a heat pump may have a coefficient of performance of say 5 in moderate temperature gradients, reducing as the temperature delta rises. However, the COP can't ever get lower than 1 in theory, because any energy used by the compressor will still eventually be delivered as heat.

Certainly there's no physical reason why a heat pump can't work below 273K, which is an entirely arbitrary value we just happen to be familiar with; after all, when you make liquid nitrogen or any other cryogenic substance, you're using a heat pump to pump heat out, and you're able to reach very low temperatures.

The theoretical efficiency of a heat pump is related to the temperature difference you're 'pumping against', and the absolute temperature (like Carnot efficiency for heat engines, it's largely equivalent).

A heat pump may become less effective, though, outside of its design temperature range; depending on the working fluid, complications like ice formation (i.e. insulation) on the heat source, and so forth. It may be that the output (and input) goes to near zero when the working fluid no longer evaporates or whatever, but that's not the same as efficiency.

I am kinda disappointed in the way the Tesla manages heat, but I'll just have to accept that the various bits I'd have done differently have indeed been carefully considered and it just wasn't worth doing the way I'd have done. Aside from the lack of ability to heat the cabin with a heat pump, another example is the lack of ability to use waste drive-train heat in the cabin (https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/3897624/); I might guess that under conditions where you would want cabin heating, there's no (or very rarely) "spare" drive-train heat available (presumably during Supercharging we don't care about efficiency and are happy to use the resistive heater...).
Anyway... I'm just going to have to get over worrying about every last bit of efficiency, especially in relation to Tesla's notoriously bad vampire drain.

You mention vampire drain here, back in 2012 the model S had a significant vampire drain that Tesla improved steadily over time, it's now down below 4kms in a 24 hour period, although it could be claimed that's still a loss of 280kwh over a year, I did read that model 3s had some serious vampire drain issues even before sentry mode but I assumed Tesla would have that under control by now.

I have read it in plenty of articles, quick search came up with this:
Why Tesla's lead acid 12V battery needs to be lithium-ion based
That blog provides no technical detail on how Tesla have set up their DC-DC charging of the cars they make, it just makes some observations on how much an ev will use in the so called 'off' state. If I was designing the charging I'd permanently float charge the lead acid.... no cycling. It should last 10 years.

Does anyone know who installs the Tesla wall chargers in SA. I have ERS installing panels and power wall 2 but they said they don’t install the Tesla charges :(
Any half decent electrician should be able to install. The "charger" is not a charger (that is inside the vehicle). The wall connector should just be installed on a dedicated circuit, just like a a/c unit or a water heater

Any half decent electrician should be able to install. The "charger" is not a charger (that is inside the vehicle). The wall connector should just be installed on a dedicated circuit, just like a a/c unit or a water heater
Couldn't agree more.
The HPWC has either 3 or 5 connections (depending on how many phases your house has):
A,N,E
or
L1, L2, L3, N, E.

ANY licensed electrician can install one.

Reactions: nigwil and one4spl