Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q: What's the experience for all of us in Australia? How much did you "Stretch" ? $$$$

I don't consider it a stretch as I was never going to buy an ICE anyway. I've been thoroughly disappointed with the slow progress of hybrid vehicles. In 2009 I decided that I will only buy a new car if it was an EV and I would have paid the $30k for a good EV in 2009. This translates to about $40k in 2019. I have ultimately spent $70k which is $30k above my original plan. I justify the additional spend because it is Tesla and it comes with a whole heap of technologies which I wouldn't see in a cheaper priced EV.

Ultimately the price is *very* high. However, when I consider my goals, I'm getting good value for money.

HOW MUCH IS THE AUSSIE / KIWI TESLA STRETCH?

So: My Tesla Stretch is A$100k, and my first new car ever! What's yours?
I have bought a lot of new cars over the past 20+ years. More than I have bought second hand to be honest. My previous most expensive vehicle was a Prado with a lot of off-road modifications which came to just over $80000. If it were not for the awesomeness of my soon-to-be (get your self together Tesla!) P3D+, I would never be spending $105k for a car.

So, my Tesla Stretch is around $25k.

Reactions: Hagrid and DavidRL
Yes it was, but approaching from the road facing forward, you have a clear view of the scene - make sure there is no-one in the driveway - and then you reverse into a space that you have already visually surveyed facing forward/sideways before move backwards into it.

In contrast, reversing out of the driveway, even if you surveyed the area before getting into your car, you simply - imho - do not have the same visibility as you have going forward. You are taking a higher risk. Also, if a car comes down street at high speed into which you are reversing, there is no way you can see it earlier when reversing than if you are moving forward - at least in all of the cars that I have ever driven.

Perhaps, as pointed out by others, this is less of a concern with the Model 3 due to it having a rear-view camera. My current car does not have a rear view camera.
In addition to what 1st in line says, many of the larger international companies require reverse parking as a condition of employment. I worked for 20 years in one with 80,000 odd employees and despite working with radioactive sources, explosives and really nasty chemicals and lots of high energy mechanics most (basically all) of the accidents and deaths in the company came from vehicle accidents and half of them low speed reversing incidents. Whilst some were reversing trucks during work processes, many were just people reversing over each other outside of work. Because of the cost of human fatalities in both $ terms, lost productivity and way too much paperwork, (there were in the order of 10 per year) and injuries (lots) they spent a great deal of time and money on educating and enforcing employees to reverse park at all times. In fact, we were trained to never reverse, pretend the vehicle had no reverse gear and if we really had to reverse we had to have a spotter, else we just didn't park in that spot. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA estimates that “267 people are killed and 15,000 injured each year by drivers who back into them, usually in driveways or parking lots.” Unfortunately, most often it is children and elderly people who are killed in backover crashes.

There are also some other reasons to reverse park which you may not be aware of...heres a quick summary You should always reverse into a parking space - and here's why Suffice to say, once you think about it, reverse parking is a really good idea.

In addition to what 1st in line says, many of the larger international companies require reverse parking as a condition of employment. I worked for 20 years in one with 80,000 odd employees and despite working with radioactive sources, explosives and really nasty chemicals and lots of high energy mechanics most (basically all) of the accidents and deaths in the company came from vehicle accidents and half of them low speed reversing incidents. Whilst some were reversing trucks during work processes, many were just people reversing over each other outside of work. Because of the cost of human fatalities in both $ terms, lost productivity and way too much paperwork, (there were in the order of 10 per year) and injuries (lots) they spent a great deal of time and money on educating and enforcing employees to reverse park at all times. In fact, we were trained to never reverse, pretend the vehicle had no reverse gear and if we really had to reverse we had to have a spotter, else we just didn't park in that spot. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA estimates that “267 people are killed and 15,000 injured each year by drivers who back into them, usually in driveways or parking lots.” Unfortunately, most often it is children and elderly people who are killed in backover crashes.

There are also some other reasons to reverse park which you may not be aware of...heres a quick summary You should always reverse into a parking space - and here's why Suffice to say, once you think about it, reverse parking is a really good idea.

Good advice in that article, despite the fact that 3 (our froot is exposed after reversing in), 5 and 6 don't apply to us.

There are also very good reasons why reverse parking is very impractical. If you have a 4WD like mine, a Prado with a single long door, you have virtually zero chance of loading anything into the back of the vehicle unless you go in forwards. Whether it is the day's groceries or a load of stuff at Bunnings. This is also the case for most other vehicles. If you want to load into the boot, you need to go in forwards since you can't get trolleys around the back of the vehicle.

This is one of the many awesome things about a Tesla car, the froot/frunk lets you load a normal load of groceries when you have reverse parked. Obviously Bunnings will still require nose in parking in general.

How good are RACWA? RACWA M3.png

Yes my workplace has a reverse parking policy too, I still drive nose in and reverse out of my garage (at home) though. My street is quiet and there's plenty of room to see, each to their own.

Good advice in that article, despite the fact that 3 (our froot is exposed after reversing in), 5 and 6 don't apply to us.

Sorry Techno-phile, I have to disagree with some of your points.

I agree with you that TH232's post was very interesting. However:

Regarding 3 - yes, we have a froot, but at least initially, many thieves might not realise that this is the case and they would still try to brake in from the back of the car. So reversing close against a wall might still offer the benefit described under this point. Indeed when shopping, it might be considered more convenient with an ICE not to reverse into the paring spot as it makes it easier placing your shopping into your boot. With our Model 3's it will be just as convenient to put sell amounts of shopping into the froot.

Regarding 5 - have you not followed the discussion here about he troubles with the 12V battery in the Model 3s? Even the Model 3 has a 12V battery and that battery is still located at the front of the car. So item 5 still applies - even to our Model 3.

I give you item 6.

Does anyone know what the price rise means for people that ordered months ago, delivery is overdue and haven't received an invoice yet?

Will the invoice be at the price we ordered at or the new price?
I imagine our order agreements will be honoured. There're usually quite a few stories of "order now before the prices go up!", so I imagine we'll be fine.

Regarding 5 - have you not followed the discussion here about he troubles with the 12V battery in the Model 3s? Even the Model 3 has a 12V battery and that battery is still located at the front of the car. So item 5 still applies - even to our Model 3.

Yes good points, except I don't think we will have many problems with our 12v batteries once we are using the cars.

My old S85 12v battery was replaced after 4.5 years of trouble free service. It is rumoured that heavy seas shut down an electrical connection on the Cap Capricorn M3s

Last edited: