Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it is not illegal, but is is smart?

Out of all the children and animals killed by cars driving at low speeds in driveways or coming out of garages, I am willing to bet my metaphorical left testicle that the majority has been killed by cars reversing rather than moving in a forward direction.

Yeah it is. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to reverse safely, plus I'm sure anyone who's negligent enough to run over their own kid or pet could do that as easily in forward.

Last edited:

Out of all the children and animals killed by cars driving at low speeds in driveways or coming out of garages, I am willing to bet my metaphorical left testicle that the majority has been killed by cars reversing rather than moving in a forward direction.

Out of interest, what is the "wide angle" of the reversing camera on the Model 3?
My current cars have a very wide angle in that I can see along the footpath before the car actual is on the path and see anybody/anything before continuing onto the path/road.

Your left testicle is metaphorical? Sounds painful...

Picked up the car today Pearl White SR+ in Melbourne. Quick seamless process, though the staff did not rush me, gotta say they were great and helped make the day special.
I have read and watched a lot of stuff on this car in the last 3 1/2 years, but I've got to say, it has exceeded all my expectations. One thing that I wasn't expecting was how sporty the car looks (I've sat in the showroom models) but when you get it out on the road, it looks really aggressive and fast even when standing still.
Very fast car (can only imagine what the performance ones are like). Was behind a fairly new high powered Merc sports, that wanted to get ahead of the traffic from the lights and floored it, I easily sat on his tail, saw him do a double-take to see me filling his rearview mirror! It shouldn't have pleased me as much as it did....
I know the wait is long, but it is definitely worth it.

Mate can you share the reservation date (if you had one) and order date? I'm waiting for the same config car...

Speaking of white SR+s in Melbourne: just got my invoice.
Spoke with Melbourne delivery a few weeks ago, they'd proposed the 23rd but I was busy (had a haircut or planned to make a cake or something) so I delayed a week to the 30th, and been awaiting invoice since.
Reserved in October 2018 (can't justify why; perhaps a part of the process of coming to terms with spending so much money on a car).
Ordered 08/08/2019.
Cash, no trade-in.
EDIT: oh, and VIN matches hidden VIN, 4491xx, build date 19/07/2019.
EDIT 2: oh no, the build date, 19 July, is a Friday this year. Crap. Everyone knows Friday cars are duds.
Cheers, A.
:D

Last edited:
Remind me again how you get into your driveway? It wasn't by reversing was it?

Yes it was, but approaching from the road facing forward, you have a clear view of the scene - make sure there is no-one in the driveway - and then you reverse into a space that you have already visually surveyed facing forward/sideways before move backwards into it.

In contrast, reversing out of the driveway, even if you surveyed the area before getting into your car, you simply - imho - do not have the same visibility as you have going forward. You are taking a higher risk. Also, if a car comes down street at high speed into which you are reversing, there is no way you can see it earlier when reversing than if you are moving forward - at least in all of the cars that I have ever driven.

Perhaps, as pointed out by others, this is less of a concern with the Model 3 due to it having a rear-view camera. My current car does not have a rear view camera.

I look forward to the day of electric & hydrogen powered shipping

Me too!

In the meantime, from 1st January 2020, all ships around the world will have to comply with new Sulphur oxide emission limits of 0.5% m/m (mass on mass).

The previous, lmiit was 3.5% m/m, so this is a significant improvement, though it obviously does not stop CO2 emissions.

Sulphur 2020 – cutting sulphur oxide emissions

• Love
Reactions: TaylorP and Hagrid