Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me again, the one with all the defects. Found another more potentially major problem. I noticed the rear roof glass is not centred but pushed all the way to one side. No real drama unless, like me you want to instal a roof rack. From what I understand of the model 3 roof rack hooks onto the glass, but the rear hook on the rear right won't be able to fit between the metal and the glass. Does anyone know if the glass is glued on, or if its just bolted and thus can be easily adjusted by service? Attached images show the interface between rear and front roof, viewed from the rear of vehicleView attachment 456972View attachment 456973
I have the same issue. The rear glass aligns with the front glass on the LHS but as the rear sheet of glass is wider than the front glass (the gap between the two panels is even), it sits well over on the RHS. I was contemplating roof racks too but I have heard that replacing that glass is really difficult. I have also booked in window tinting including the roof and if the glass is to be removed and re-centred I might be wasting my tinting if it breaks during removal.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I'm drooling with jealousy that you have yours -- and I don't have mine!!!

How do you get the minor issues fixed? What is the process Tesla recommend for Perth people (no Tesla store here)?
DavidRL,
We (Perth) have a service centre at Nedlands. The address according to Tesla is 44 Government Road, Perth, Nedlands, WA 6009
You just log your issue via the app 24/7 and you get an automated assigned date and time. I did it a few days ago for the defects I referenced in my video and immediately got a date and time of Oct 8 at 8am. You do this for any issues as far as I am aware. My account page changed some time in the next business day (I reported wed evening it shows friday but I didn't think to check thursday). Via the app you can only log one issue, but on the account page, once it appears you can free edit and report whatever you want (as many times as you want). There seems to be a character limit of 1013 characters (seems strange number) but is enough for me to log the 7 defects and 2 questions I have. From what I understand there is at least 3 techs there now...but I will try and confirm this on Oct 8th.

I have the same issue. The rear glass aligns with the front glass on the LHS but as the rear sheet of glass is wider than the front glass (the gap between the two panels is even), it sits well over on the RHS. I was contemplating roof racks too but I have heard that replacing that glass is really difficult. I have also booked in window tinting including the roof and if the glass is to be removed and re-centred I might be wasting my tinting if it breaks during removal.
looks like the roof rack is not a problem as the posts are only adjacent to the from section of glass
See clip attached

Has anyone worked out the secret for the rear AC? So far for us, everyone's been fighting for the front seat to play but today the car took on its main roll as taxi service and had passengers in the back for longer duration. No matter what we push, the rear AC blows warm...The manual is no real help on the rear other than on and off. A quick search seems to indicate that if on auto the AC will do whatever it thinks to get the cabin to optimal as quickly as possible to set temps. Advice is to set it to manual and the rear will follow the front. But despite setting the front to a cool temp (20 degC) and manual the air out the rear vents feels warm, certainly relative to front. It also implies the front and rear AC's are different? Are there two AC's or just some sort of valve blowing outside/heated/chilled air to the rear? Also, if the rear is supposed to follow the front, does it follow the passenger, or the driver side temps or the average? Admittedly it is a weird (typical) Perth day here with ice cold wind but hot in the sun but end result is the front seats are ice cold and the rear passengers are complaining of heat stroke. For people with babies in the back seats that can't talk, probably worth making sure you know whats going on back there. I'm sure its like the following issue and just a new way of doing stuff and will make perfect sense soon...

The other really non intuitive thing we've discovered is how to get out of the back doors. Applies to both sides and a quick check seems like it is normal. Child lock is off. You push the electronic button for the front doors and the doors jump open, and you push open the door at your leisure to get out. (Plus you have manual override if you want). For the rear doors seems like you have to put pressure on the door as you push the button otherwise the window comes down a bit to clear the trim, and the door partially opens but the door is still latched...and you have to push button again whist pushing against the door. The trick (I think) is holding the button down like a normal car while you push out...however, since the front (where everyone wants to be at first) is different you get used to a momentary push to open before you have to go back to old school style and just hold the thing till you get out. Once you get used to it, its ok, but for all the joy riders we are taking its a bit disconcerting. Apparently this is because the seals on the front doors are larger than the rear they give more pressure and thus clear the latch on a momentary push??

Hi all,
So supposedly picking up our Model 3 (blue SR+) tomorrow (Sat 21st) @ 10am in Richmond. Had a final email from delivery team to sign off on registration form and received confirmation that they have received it. No dreaded last minute cancellation call so it seems surreal that we may have the car with us as soon as tomorrow. Today, the Mrs. attended the climate change rally in Melbourne and came away inspired and no better way to cap that feeling than to take delivery of our Tesla Model 3 and lead by example.
Of course I will post pics to share. Wouldn’t be the same without sharing this with the group. A massive thanks to @Vedaprime, @Random206 & @apchoo for all their help and support with the process.

So supposedly picking up our Model 3 (blue SR+) tomorrow (Sat 21st) @ 10am in Richmond. Had a final email from delivery team to sign off on registration form and received confirmation that they have received it. No dreaded last minute cancellation call so it seems surreal that we may have the car with us as soon as tomorrow. Today, the Mrs. attended the climate change rally in Melbourne and came away inspired and no better way to cap that feeling than to take delivery of our Tesla Model 3 and lead by example.

Congratulations on picking up your car tomorrow, hope all goes well.
Please thank your wife for attending today’s rally. We went to the Canberra one and were overwhelmed by the turnout and mightily impressed by the young students speaking there. Here’s hoping we can all lead by example and pick up our cars very soon. All the best and we’re looking forward to seeing the pics.

• Love
Reactions: 1st in Line
Perhaps, but as I have an SR+ I'm guessing not too many would've paid the extra $30,000+ for that :)
True but it seems counterintuitive to order the most expensive colour then change to a free colour when less expensive colour options are available. I see it as an unorganised and perhaps random process that Tesla is allocating orders without regard for early reservation holders.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Amazing community service Veda - thank you so much!

However, out of the currently 9,639 post in this thread, two of your posts were the most devastating ones I have read.;)

The first one was when I realised that due to your research, my car could not be on the Cap Capricorn, when I [at the time] hoped that it would be. The other was your recent post when you stated that you did not think that all off the Warrnambool cars could possibly all be derived by 30th September... I currently still have a [tentative] delivery date of 27th September.

Just looking at your latest spreadsheet again, I see that 4882XX is still on "yellow". I had the impression that everyone was getting their cars already, but find it interesting that the 4882XXs as a group are still not quite there yet.

Anyway, no matter which way the dice will fall, I [and I am sure many others here] really appreciate the amount of time you put into collating all the information!

Hopefully, this post will be less devastating.

In the last 24 hours, I have multiple evidence pieces indicating the first cars from ANL Warrnmabool have made it through logistics - 8 days (east coast), down from the 12-14 days minimum (east coast) it has been from ship to delivery. These are just the first vehcles. As you state, my previous post was about ALL vehicles from the ships. It will be tough still to get all of them delivered from ANL W (and harder Merkur Ocean) by the end of month - Consider many people (including me) are still waiting now 5 weeks later for our cars on Cap Capricorn to be delivered after the 12v issue.

But the chances have just gone up for more to be delivered by end of month than what it was looking like, if there has been more logisitcs capacity made available at Autonexus or some type of fastrack process.

Re 4882xx. - I spotted the first 4883xx rego yesterday in NSW, so I am expecting a 4882xx rego anytime now - and turn green on the tracker

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Brief update after 2+days of SR+ ownership.
  • Love, love, LOVE the car :)! I'm not a car person, to me a car was something that gets me from A to B reasonably comfortably. While the M3 does that, it's such a different experience compared to a conventional ICE car. Just the tech that comes with it is such mindblowing by comparison. You can tell that this is my first EV/Tesla.

But the great thing about the M3 is it you can also use it as a conventional car. While the wife is appreciative of the tech, she doesn't care about AP or even cruise control; she just wants to know how to change gears, set the climate control, select her favourite radio station, use turn-by-turn GPS, and ... that's it :D. I've set up her phone as a key and her driving profile. She loves having her own driving profile but wished it would include the rear view mirror.
  • After setting up our Google Pixel phones as keys, pairing the Bluetooth and enabling Walk Away Door Lock, I noticed that my M3 would auto-lock even when I'm standing next to it. It seemed there's a auto-lock timeout after closing all the doors/frunk/trunk. When I approach the car, it does NOT auto-unlock. When you open a door, the car unlocks then, the screen comes on followed by the radio and A/C.
  • You can link the key cards to the created profiles so it sets the correct profile when you unlock the car with a key card in the event you don't have your phone on you. To tag a key card with a profile, place the key card on the centre console and tap the person icon for the key card on the screen and select the desired profile.
  • A lot of settings are saved to a profile, for example, the Lock Confirmation Sound setting.
  • The Luckeasy front floor mats are not a perfect fit :(. The dead pedal is lower than that on the driver mat's, and the left edge of the passenger mat does not hug the left wall resulting in a slight crease . Not the end of the world considering there aren't many other alternatives atm. The back floor mat fits perfectly. I'll post some pics later.
  • The trunk lights definitely needs replacing. When putting in the grocery shopping in an undercover carpark, the wife asked why there were no lights in the boot o_O.
  • Used the UMC off a 10A powerpoint to charge the car the first 2 nights. Charge rate was ~13km/hr which was sufficient to reach the set limit of 90% the next morning for the avg commute we did. Got the HPWC installed yesterday which increased the charging rate to 50km/hr :).
  • At 90% charge limit, my SR+ range is 344kms. Extrapolating to 100% would give 382kms which is consistent with Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com.
  • Tested AP on Monash Fwy last night. A bit unnerving for the first time with cars and trucks around me. As I don't have FSD, I need more practice with changing lanes during AP, in particular disengaging AP prior to lane change. Once it felt like AP refused to disengage when I turned the steering wheel to change lane in AP (it should have auto disengage then) so the car wobbled a bit :eek: before AP disengaged. Perhaps being next to a B-double truck at the time had something to do with it ...

BTW, for those of you with FSD, is auto lane change enabled in AU?
On another positive note, the 3 small marks below the charge port were actually excess wax/polish. A bit of hard rubbing with a microfiber cloth and they're gone.

I'm yet to install the Abstract Ocean centre console wrap. I feel that I'm still too excited to have a steady hand :rolleyes: ... but I am slightly nervous about installing it. I've left the Aero wheel covers on for now. Now that I see them in the flesh they're not so bad looking ... I think.

DavidRL,
We (Perth) have a service centre at Nedlands. ............. log your issue via the app ..... log the 7 defects and 2 questions I have. From what I understand there is at least 3 techs there now...but I will try and confirm this on Oct 8th.

Excellent new! - Thanks to both Techno-Phile and TH232 for your responses re Perth Tesla service and how to get delivery issues rectified. I know both those service places (McCathy Prestige for Panel & Paint and 44 Government Road, Nedlands) as luckily for me they are very close to my home, and I literally cycle past there almost every day.

The new bit of info for me that is really interesting is that YOU LOG ISSUES YOU SPOT ON DELIVERY VIA THE APP. Others had emailed or called their local Tesla stores, and as Perth doesn't have one, it's good to know we have a formal process for fixing any minor issues. Thanks. Hope others find that info useful (Perth, Hobart, Adelaide, Darwin - anyone getting one in Darwin??) and country locations..

Last edited:
I’d love to hear what they tell you. I’m in the same boat Melb/P3D+/red/black, no vin
Not much of a comfort, really. But it's still good to know you're not alone in the situation. I'll see what I can find out but the main question would be when we can expect ours. Don't want argue or point finger. Only want to have a productive conversation with them.

Reactions: Majkey
Love, love, LOVE the car :)! I'm not a car person, to me a car was something that gets me from A to B reasonably comfortably. While the M3 does that, it's such a different experience compared to a conventional ICE car. Just the tech that comes with it is such mindblowing by comparison. You can tell that this is my first EV/Tesla.

Great post. Yep that is pretty much where I am too after 10 days.

A couple of things,

- Re disengaging autosteer, I think it is best to wiggle the steering wheel first to disengage it then change lanes, rather than trying to turn while it is on. It feels like a fight and you need to force the turn.

Re the interior lights, I have replaced all of mine with the ones from Abstract Ocean, the boot lights are a big improvement, but the lights at my feet are possibly too bright now, as they are on the whole time you are driving, the old one might go back there. The glove box one was very hard to get out, and the replacement very hard to get back in, I found posts from other people saying the same thing.

My P- range at 90% is at 448km, and teslafi is saying estimated range and rated range are almost identical now. So 100% pretty close to 500km.

But overall, just loving it.