Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d be interested if, after a few months, anyone here begins to experience the “stinky AC” issue which has blown up on the Tesla forums:

Telsa -- Are you going to address torturing AC smell
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/telsa-are-you-going-address-torturing-ac-smell

Some people don’t seem to get this problem, others do, lots of theories about what causes it and how to fix it, and lots of flame-wars going on as arguments get heated between various forum members.

I’d be interested if, after a few months, anyone here begins to experience the “stinky AC” issue which has blown up on the Tesla forums:

Telsa -- Are you going to address torturing AC smell
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/telsa-are-you-going-address-torturing-ac-smell

Some people don’t seem to get this problem, others do, lots of theories about what causes it and how to fix it, and lots of flame-wars going on as arguments get heated between various forum members.
First I've heard of this issue will keep an eye on it. Not an isolated problem one of my VWs had that as inherent problem. Fix was regularly replace filter (expensive) but I found that half can aircon sanitizer every couple months in warmer weather fixed problems.

Reactions: malc01
Very busy at Richmond delivery centre this morning :). M3 deliveries in full swing!

IMG_20190921_091029.jpg
IMG_20190921_091038.jpg
IMG_20190921_091048.jpg
IMG_20190921_101513.jpg
IMG_20190921_101516.jpg

Check for stone chips at the front, from the towing of the vehicles. I have a SR+ picked up on Wednesday from Richmond with a stone chip in the front left light. a photo was sent to AU_delivery by one of the guys that work at Tesla during delivery process. Now i wait to see how it's handled.

Excellent new! - Thanks to both Techno-Phile and TH232 for your responses re Perth Tesla service and how to get delivery issues rectified. I know both those service places (McCathy Prestige for Panel & Paint and 44 Government Road, Nedlands) as luckily for me they are very close to my home, and I literally cycle past there almost every day.

The new bit of info for me that is really interesting is that YOU LOG ISSUES YOU SPOT ON DELIVERY VIA THE APP. Others had emailed or called their local Tesla stores, and as Perth doesn't have one, it's good to know we have a formal process for fixing any minor issues. Thanks. Hope others find that info useful (Perth, Hobart, Adelaide, Darwin - anyone getting one in Darwin??) and country locations..
Hi DavidRL, yes, the delivery lady definitely confirmed for Perth we log any issues with the car with the service department. For the record though, I listed the defects in an email to delivery with my discussion I had with them about the auto garage opener (confirmed retrofit at no cost when parts available) and the lifetime premium connectivity (silence on this). I also listed the issues I've found in the feedback survey I received yesterday (4 days after delivery) and is also the reason I publicly posted that youtube video of my defects so there can be no argument. In addition to being able to edit the issues on the account page, it is very easy to change date and time of appointment. My appointment autobooked on the 8th Oct and I can change this to anytime except 12:30 and 12:45 slots on the 7th or 11th and lots of slots for the following few weeks. I have changed to 7th Oct drop off as earliest available. Strangely, when I booked the 7th the site has greyed out all the slots on that day..but this might be something to do with it being a public holiday everywhere except WA. Also noted that last night I could edit the list of defects and type 1013 characters, today it only showed the first bit of the list I created. Now, when re-editting the list of defects, if I go over a certain number of characters (which I think now appears to be 256), the website reports "opps, something went wrong" and the whole site crashes after that. Logging out and in fixes this and now managed to edit again and save a concise list. After a bit of trial and error my list was done with 245 characters and the account seems happy with that. I'll report back after my experience with service.

Played with the rear AC vents, on manual they seem to track whatever the front is set to. i.e. driver side hot, rear right is hot, passenger cold, rear left cold. On auto, no idea what the back is doing. For the rear sets, just got to hold the button while you get out, different to the front where a momentary push does the trick.

• Informative
Reactions: TaylorP
They've fixed this with an OTA update. Basically the AC is left running for a few minutes after the car is turned off to dry out the vents, thereby stopping the mould from growing.
The thread is full of dispute, though, as to whether there actually has been an OTA update to address this issue (no release notes to confirm/deny) and if it has, whether it fixes the problems in all cases. Some people say the root cause is a fundamental design issue with the condensate drain and OTA won’t fix that. So hard to sort out the truth from the fiction!

Super busy at Brisbane today. Detailers, cars, deliveries everywhere.

And I received my invoice from the Brisbane Delivery team. It confirms.

My vin is the same as hidden vin.
It was on Cap Capricorn. Arrived Sydney Aug 16. Build date July 10 (Nicola Tesla’s birthday)
5km on odometer

My delivery date is 27 September. The plan is to pay ASAP in case it is ready early.

A vin is now visible on the manage page today (same as the source code). I have had a (tentative?) appointment (27th in Sydney) since Tuesday but still no sign of the invoice
My VIN has been solid hidden since it first showed up at the beginning of this month. Tentative delivery is set to 30th Sept already over 2 weeks ago. My finance company (Macquarie) said they are still waiting for invoice. So I sent an email to Tesla Brisbane asking for the invoice. They replied pretty quickly that they will chase the delivery team to generate the invoice. Hopefully that will get done soon.

Reactions: TaylorP
The thread is full of dispute, though, as to whether there actually has been an OTA update to address this issue (no release notes to confirm/deny) and if it has, whether it fixes the problems in all cases. Some people say the root cause is a fundamental design issue with the condensate drain and OTA won’t fix that. So hard to sort out the truth from the fiction!

This may be but in the tropics this is the accepted explanation for why ACs smell and how to prevent it to a certain extent.

Depends whether you call $3.89% expensive? Personally I don’t.
No doubt some people can find a bit cheaper rate, but it’s minimal difference really in these days of low interest rates and cheap borrowing.

Agreed.

Also, their customer service are very friendly. The process is also streamlined and very fast.

I received an approval in within 48 hours and they handled all the settlement communications, such as request for invoice, with Tesla.

There are no account setup fee and keeping fees.

Super busy at Brisbane today. Detailers, cars, deliveries everywhere.

And I received my invoice from the Brisbane Delivery team. It confirms.

My vin is the same as hidden vin.
It was on Cap Capricorn. Arrived Sydney Aug 16. Build date July 10 (Nicola Tesla’s birthday)
5km on odometer

My delivery date is 27 September. The plan is to pay ASAP in case it is ready early.
I paid early. Was schedule for the 24th pickup in Brisbane. Got shifted to today. In 1 hour. So excited