Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crikey. That contradicts what Tesla advised me when it was originally scheduled for an appointment - they said it is normal for that indicator to be on

Remember for some reason we get the US manual for our cars. The notice in the manual is complying with US regulations (FMVSS 208 stand for Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208). It's possible Australian regulations are different.

Remember for some reason we get the US manual for our cars. The notice in the manual is complying with US regulations (FMVSS 208 stand for Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 208). It's possible Australian regulations are different.
I have been wondering why we get the US manual, even EU one would be closer to us specially if they had UK one. Also the functionality of those indicators may have changed with a software update as the US manual was made way before the software version we are currently using.

Having issues with severe condensation in my passenger front fog light. Was very subtle during delivery but a lot worse on day 2. The weather was even dry.

View attachment 459625
View attachment 459628

Submitted a service appointment request at Richmond on Oct 22 (earliest). Also emailed one of the authorised body shops but not sure if they can address.

What about the paint run? Red paint on the black foglight surround, top picture, top of surround on the "pointy" end about an inch or so in?

Reactions: MonicaPlease
For those that already have the car - will a regular lightning cable not fit? Or do you need one of these L-shaped connectors? And if you do, how long does the cable need to be?

I was using a normal USB-C cable since day 1 and threaded it thru the hole and channel. However, I have a Google Pixel XL which is a tall phone, and the only way I could plug in the cable was to lay the phone diagonally on the phone dock. My wife's Google Pixel (non-XL) was the same. When you do the phone takes up all the room on the dock.

With the 3rd party cable, the USB-C port sticks out nicely from the bottom and my Pixel XL slides in easily and sits flush with the bottom ledge, even with a phone case on. There's about ~1cm of extra travel when pulling my Pixel XL out of the dock.

The 3rd party cable is 25cm long and I get about 5cm sticking out of the hole at the back. My USB extension is about the same length so you'll need a cable that's 40-50cm in order to have some slack when you lift up the phone dock.

The original Apple lightning plug is very narrow and will not sit snugly in the plug receptacle. It's a right angle corner from cable to plug and the plug would stick out a bit. Whether you can still plug in your iPhone vertically depends on its size.

I think that ANZ regulations do not allow you to disable the airbag, so I expect it to be on all the time.

this is a quote from RACVs position paper on airbags about this.

Currently in Australia, there are very few vehicles that have switches to enable airbags to be switched off when a child occupant is in the front seat, as Australian regulations require that the vehicle must be able to meet the normal frontal crash tests under the Australian Design Rules 69 and 73 with the airbag deactivated if a switch is fitted. “

So it doesn’t seem illegal per se, just that it needs to pass the tests with it deactivated.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
Lunch time adventure to fuel my obsession resulted in finding 6 new superchargers being installed in Moonee Ponds Central. This is in addition to the two existing destination chargers.
Moonee Ponds Central superchargers.jpg

... and how many people are taking delivery of cars in this condition.
T
Picked up my car from Melbourne today. P3D-

The Good
I was not prepared for how amazingly delightful it is to drive. I never accelerated fast during the drive home as I was too busy enjoying the one pedal driving and the sheer smoothness. Excellent driving dynamics.

The Bad
This was without doubt the worst delivery of a new car I have ever had. Quite a few issues (mostly cosmetic) but it shows that Tesla clearly don't bother to even check if the car is in one piece before delivering it:

-Lots of dirt around the car, not much effort to make it presentable.
-Several scratches to paint (some deep that will probably need respray)
-A Dent on one of the panels
-Chipped edge of the rear windscreen
-Misalligned door strikes....Rear passenger on one side can't open the door form inside at all!
-One of the rear tail lights is not aligned and is sticking out
-Massive damage to the skirting underside...almost certainly from car carrier not giving a f***k while transporting the vehicle.

I had the delivery agent take note and pictures of most of these and log it in the iPad. When I asked how I would address any further issues I discover he said I should "call the panel beaters" and gave me a list of them around Melbourne. Is this correct? I thought I had read here that is incorrect and we should lodge these issues via the app?

All in all, I love the car but man Tesla really needs to lift their game...I have seen 2nd hand cars delivered in better state. Some of these issues were there from factory (eg door and rear tail lights misalignment) but many many others were almost certainly caused by whatever backyard dodgy car carriers they contracted for the transport.

The most exciting day turned into a day of disappointment. Some of my friends suggested I should not have accepted the car but it's too late now. I am just hoping now that they can be fixed without causing further damage.:(

View attachment 460028 View attachment 460031View attachment 460029 View attachment 460030

I am a believer in the electric vehicle industry and of Tesla. But there are so many people posting pics of this sort of thing I wonder....someone about 50 pages back posted that we, the consumers, should not think of Tesla as a CAR manufacturer, but as a technology company that HAPPENS to make cars (paraphrasing). Given THAT, I wonder who would happily drop over $70k on a piece of technology that was finished like THIS? Even a little $2k iPhone is handed back if it's not up to scratch (pun intended). I GET you all have been waiting so long on your cars, and that they are a w-o-w to drive, but c'mon, so many of you appear to be blinded by the drive to the point of accepting sub-standard CARS.

Any other manufacturer of cars would be pilloried, rightfully, for delivering this sort of finished material. I posted a few pages back that I am interested in the M3 as my next car. But I might wait for the VW ID3 after all. Even given VWs issues in the past (dieselgate), and as an owner of VWs for over the past decade and a half, at least I KNOW the car I get is finished....

As a matter of interest, WHAT would happen if any of you REJECTED your car at delivery?

T

I am a believer in the electric vehicle industry and of Tesla. But there are so many people posting pics of this sort of thing I wonder....someone about 50 pages back posted that we, the consumers, should not think of Tesla as a CAR manufacturer, but as a technology company that HAPPENS to make cars (paraphrasing). Given THAT, I wonder who would happily drop over $70k on a piece of technology that was finished like THIS? Even a little $2k iPhone is handed back if it's not up to scratch (pun intended). I GET you all have been waiting so long on your cars, and that they are a w-o-w to drive, but c'mon, so many of you appear to be blinded by the drive to the point of accepting sub-standard CARS.

Any other manufacturer of cars would be pilloried, rightfully, for delivering this sort of finished material. I posted a few pages back that I am interested in the M3 as my next car. But I might wait for the VW ID3 after all. Even given VWs issues in the past (dieselgate), and as an owner of VWs for over the past decade and a half, at least I KNOW the car I get is finished....

As a matter of interest, WHAT would happen if any of you REJECTED your car at delivery?
You could order Model 3 and if it comes in a non-acceptable state then reject it at delivery then let us all know what happened when you reject it :)
If it came in great condition like mine did, you would still be happy and if you rejected it, you could then wait for a few years for ID3 to come to Australia and try your luck with them :)

• Love
Reactions: maveric74
What tyre pressure is everyone seeing at delivery? Mine (18in aeros, PS4) was 37psi cold, door sticker suggests 42.
I started getting low pressure warnings on the way home from delivery in Cremorne yesterday. By the time I got home, all four were whinging (all at 39 PSI). But later, they weren't anymore, despite me not having done anything. Can't explain this, as I don't know how the tyre pressure monitors work. Did atmospheric pressure drop just enough?
Related question (I think): at the lower right of the screen there are three 'cards' (?) which can be swiped in and out sideways. One has the trip statistics on it; another has an overhead view of the car but is otherwise blank. What is it for? Tyre pressure and other warnings?

Lunch time adventure to fuel my obsession resulted in finding 6 new superchargers being installed in Moonee Ponds Central. This is in addition to the two existing destination chargers.View attachment 461276

The new Bendigo Supercharger (12 stalls) popped up on ABetterRoutePlanner this morning :).

upload_2019-10-1_13-50-29.png

It's still showing as "Coming Soon" on the Tesla supercharger AU map.

Will try and get my friend who also lives in Kennington to verify!

Related question (I think): at the lower right of the screen there are three 'cards' (?) which can be swiped in and out sideways. One has the trip statistics on it; another has an overhead view of the car but is otherwise blank. What is it for? Tyre pressure and other warnings?
The blank one with the car displays the 4 tyre pressures when you're driving.

• Informative
Reactions: TaylorP and bay74