Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first post here.Only 3 more sleeps until we get our sr+ on a novated lease.Amazing that we weren't even considering an EV until a few months ago when our current lease became due.It's been a huge learning experience & forums like this have been very helpful. So far we've been blessed with a smooth transition from Tesla (not so much with the leasing company). My partner goes away shortly after we take delivery. Much as I'll miss her, the car will be all mine for a week or so [rubs hands together with glee]. Hopefully I'll look a lot less of an idiot waving at Teslas from Wednesday onwards.

I’m not about to show any sympathy for ICErs but this is still vandalism to me. I suppose the argument is the “damage” is not “permanent” but takes a lot of effort to undo (but equally a dinged panel is not permanent and can be undone, but people would not debate whether that is vandalism or not). Presumably Westfield got good legal advice before reinstating this practice.

Struggling to fit "vandalism" as an appropriate description for this. Westfield surely have some responsibility for their own property & users thereof & this looks a long way from vandalism for me! I don't think ignoring the problem will make it go away.

Struggling to fit "vandalism" as an appropriate description for this. Westfield surely have some responsibility for their own property & users thereof & this looks a long way from vandalism for me! I don't think ignoring the problem will make it go away.
I never suggested it should be “ignored”, but I do question this approach. I wonder if there are any test cases about this sort of thing? Maybe it’s in the fine print on the board that no-one ever reads when one enters the car park... that you waive certain legal rights by entering etc.

This is my first post here.Only 3 more sleeps until we get our sr+ on a novated lease.Amazing that we weren't even considering an EV until a few months ago when our current lease became due.It's been a huge learning experience & forums like this have been very helpful. So far we've been blessed with a smooth transition from Tesla (not so much with the leasing company). My partner goes away shortly after we take delivery. Much as I'll miss her, the car will be all mine for a week or so [rubs hands together with glee]. Hopefully I'll look a lot less of an idiot waving at Teslas from Wednesday onwards.
So,now we're not picking up until Monday.No issue from Tesla's end-they've been fantastic throughout.Not so the novated lease company who neglected to inform us until this afternoon that they hadn't paid the invoice yet.In fact it was Tesla who alerted us. Very disappointing but then I think a) 1st world problem & b) that those of you who waited over 3 years would be entitled to be envious of our "suffering":my hat's off to you for your stoicism. Still,really ticked off with the lease company as we've been working diligently on this for nearly 2 months.Oh well,a few more days of the mad old guy waving at Teslas and frightening the
kids ;)

Had a new OEM windscreen fitted yesterday (got a crack on a Sydney road trip) by Richmond SC and was super happy with the job. Looks perfect with no marks or scratches from the installer. Also got the home link module installed FOC (ordered car when Homelink was originally included on website) Picked up Tesla OEM puncture kit - which looks very well made.

Setup the Homelink and now all works after a few onscreen hiccups. Shall describe process I went through in case someone else has same issue.
1. At first (standing at the front of the car) the car couldn't detect garage remote transmitter (Merlin M842) I tried numerous transmitters and check batteries) . I then put the garage remote transmitter close to the bumper and moved across front of the car. It was then recognised at the passenger side bumper just under the headlight.

2. Pressed the Learn on the garage receiver and followed Tesla onscreen process that completed, but it would not activate the door. Then separately pushed the Garage remote receiver learn button, then pushed the homelink icon on the screen twice and the garage receiver accepted the car as a new remote. The Merlin M230T receiver requires two activations of the transmitter to successfully learn a new remote. I think the Telsa software was not doing this or maybe it was too fast for the garage reciever. Once the car has learned the transmitter you can just manually add the car to the Garage receiver as if it was just another remote control.

I finally got my front windscreen replaced yesterday. I can happily confirm that the passenger side wind noise is gone, and the only wind noise (if you can hear it) is exterior to the car.

What was disconcerting after the windscreen replacement was the front cameras had stopped working when I picked up the car at 4pm. It didn't occurred to me at the time; I started realising something was wrong when there was no speed limit on the screen. Peak hour traffic was at a crawl and I was some ways from the SC by then. I then noticed that there were no graphics of nearby vehicles and no road markings---it was just the M3 on a blank white background. Navigation was working, but when I tried TACC or AP they wouldn't engage.

Here's a shot I took of the screen then.
View attachment 485143

I stopped on a side street and did a soft reboot. No joy. When I got home, I did a hard reboot ... same thing. The obvious components replacing the windscreen would impact are the rear view mirror and front facing cameras. I plugged the dashcam USB drive into my PC and sure enough, all front facing videos recorded in the last hour were blank :(.

After dinner and when my blood pressure had lowered sufficiently, I asked my better half to go on a drive to demonstrate the non-existent wind noise. When I got into the car, the first thing I saw on the screen was the speed limit---I couldn't believe it! I drove around for a bit and the front cameras must be working again. Everything was back to normal, vehicle graphics, road markings, and TACC/AP worked. I reviewed the new videos thereafter and the front videos had content as per normal. And wife was happy that the wind noise was gone.

I'm at a loss to explain what had happened. SC didn't mention anything at the pickup. I drove to work this morning and everything was working normally.

I'm going to email the Melb SC and ask if they would run a diagnostic on the car to verify that everything is working normally. Those of you that are getting your front windscreens replaced, do check that the speed limit/vehicle graphics/road markings are visible and TACC/AP works before you drive too far away from the SC.

The camera does not recognize speed limit signs it does it via gps. This is evident when you go on rural roads which are not mapped properly and afaik was also the case initially for some hawaii islands

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Hi Bomidi. Yes it was done in Sydney by Precision Automotive Detailing. The person's name is Mark - he has been doing this about 12 years, he did a great job. It cost $1000.
Thank you so much BarnabySydney. I will keep that in mind if I decide to go with GTECHNIQ product. I am still tossing between Gyeon Quartz (for which I have found a detailer close by in Hornsby with good reputation) GTECHNIQ. I am going to the Hornsby detailer to get a quote on Saturday and that will probably make the decision making process easier :)

Reactions: Hungry Mile
I’ve booked in with Pasquale in Hornsby for Gyeon but I’m not sure about the product differences. I’m happy to rely on Pasquale though.
Thanks for your reply Petros. I have read in few places that Gyeon may be better, but I also know that experience and diligence of the detailer is equally (if not more) important as well. I am also going to see Pasquale on Saturday. Would you mind letting us know the cost for the work Pasquale will be doing?

Thank you so much BarnabySydney. I will keep that in mind if I decide to go with GTECHNIQ product. I am still tossing between Gyeon Quartz (for which I have found a detailer close by in Hornsby with good reputation) GTECHNIQ. I am going to the Hornsby detailer to get a quote on Saturday and that will probably make the decision making process easier :)

Can you please share quote from Hornsby detailer?

So, there has been some information about subscription for premium connectivity. Well I thought I would chase this up about its availability in Australia, as when I bought my SR+ they mentioned that I would soon be able to purchase the premium connectivity pack to add the satellite maps and streaming options. Now when I sent the question to [email protected] I got this answer:

The Premium Connectivity option is only available to cars with the feature included from the beginning.
The subscription has just been rolled out in the US and there has been no indication of when the feature will arrive in Australia and New Zealand.
Apologies if this is of any inconvenience.

I am a bit bummed about this and hope they change that stance.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
The Premium Connectivity option is only available to cars with the feature included from the beginning.
That is not what has hapenned in the US. If you watch this youtube video, the guy has a sr+ and he received the email about the monthly fee to get premium connectivity, and decided to pay the fee and if you read the comments below the video, the live traffic etc has shown up as you would expect after payment.

I haven't seen him yet but his Web site mentions a starting price from $850 if I am not mistaken.
I have also been recommended by my friends to check two other places and options, with one offering life time warranty.
I am also going to check them before making the final decision.

Thanks mate .. keep me posted.. I am close to Hornsby and getting the car next Friday. May be we could get a better deal going together?