Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah you are right about 40 being left....I wasn't thinking right when I wrote the number of cars sold and still available.

It was over 60 before and now it's at 40.... Was 41 at the time I write earlier.

If i want a car now.... it seems lease is the one option to remain in my budget.... Yet I won't own anything

End of the year and they will have more. They usually do. Just give it some time. Tesla is not immune to market forces. If they cant move the 60s at those prices, they will have to drop them and the 85s will start to show up at lower price. What we really need is public price history of cars sold. This way anyone who is interested can look and see what they were selling for. Right now because of the lack of public price history new cpo buyers are thinking they are getting a good deal when in fact they are not.

I'm really interested to read your review on S88 when you get it. From your other posts, you're a man of strong opinions that calls it as you see it. I'm hopeful this new Tesla (what #7 for you?) doesn't disappoint and will make the rest of us considering early VIN CPO"s pull the trigger with less trepidation.

It's actually Tesla # 8 and I am excited to see my take on it as well. I have been told the car is in perfect condition and has been updated to the latest specs. Cannot wait!

Reactions: Wshowell and ModelX
Tesla is not immune to market forces. If they cant move the 60s at those prices, they will have to drop them and the 85s will start to show up at lower price.

While this is true, there are still reports of people getting rental cars when their vehicle is in for service. So they don't always have to drop them, they can turn them into permanent service loaners (some already are).

I went to Tesla store in Decature to see the VIN 00821 a few weeks ago and they told me it was not ready. The rims were extremely scratched. The service person told me they did not started working on the car yet. I hope you asked for the pictures for the car so you know what you are getting. I would jump on it if it was Silver or White color "P" for that price range though.

I went to Tesla store in Decature to see the VIN 00821 a few weeks ago and they told me it was not ready. The rims were extremely scratched. The service person told me they did not started working on the car yet. I hope you asked for the pictures for the car so you know what you are getting. I would jump on it if it was Silver or White color "P" for that price range though.

How are you guys deciding between new or CPO? Debating between used 85 for like 55-57k, or new 70D for 76k (minus 14k in incentives) which is only a difference of about 6-7k. Which is not pennies, this is obviously a lot of money.

The only thing to note is the 70D would be pretty barebone while the CPO 85 would probably be decently equipped if you find the right one. Personally I think a CPO S85 should be much lower than $55K. Like you hinted, they are pretty much close to the same price.

Given the max range of a 2012 or 2013 CPO S85 would be closer to 230 by the time you get it, a NEW barebone 70D would probably be a better purchase if you don't care about anything else.

The only thing to note is the 70D would be pretty barebone while the CPO 85 would probably be decently equipped if you find the right one. Personally I think a CPO S85 should be much lower than $55K. Like you hinted, they are pretty much close to the same price.

Given the max range of a 2012 or 2013 CPO S85 would be closer to 230 by the time you get it, a NEW barebone 70D would probably be a better purchase if you don't care about anything else.

If I purchased new, I wouldn't get a lot of options - or even no options. The car is expensive enough already, and there's no must have options for me really. If I got anything it would probably be next gen seats. Of course if I get a CPO I would at least want tech package. 95% of my driving is in Los Angeles, but I would like to be able to do occasional long distance trips but according to EV trip planner, getting an 85 would only save me a few minutes and doesn't seem to be a drastic difference.

Thanks to Hanks app I see the first new CPO available in Canada for many many months.

85 kWh Model S
38,542 km
P21309
Located in Montreal

$66,250 (~ $50K USD!)

Features

Solid Black Paint
Panoramic Roof
19" Wheels
Tan Leather Interior
Obeche Wood Matte Décor
Supercharger Enabled
Tech Package

In one year since our purchase of a CPO S85, it certainly is interesting to see that prices have not dropped! :)

My 2013 with 45k miles on it gets 263 rated range miles at a full charge.
I guess it is all YMMV. Consider yourself lucky. Here is someone with less mileage than you.

Calling high mileage, long term owners

And i have read countless others with around this range and lower.

Also keep in mind the number you currently see is YMMV also. You might get more you might get less. It all depends on a lot of things.

2013 S85's are still charging to 95%+ of original range on average, the battery surveys confirm this.

Our early "A" pack 2013 S85 has 80000 km (20000 km in the past year since we bought CPO) and charges to >96% original capacity.

Tesla battery packs lose a few percent capacity at first, and then capacity loss flattens out and drops very slowly after two years.

So a new 70D will absolutely have less range than a used 85, and the difference will grow as the 70D ages and then they will both even out and the 85 will retain the "lead" over the 70D for many more years based on results seen by other owners.

2013 S85's are still charging to 95%+ of original range on average, the battery surveys confirm this.

Our early "A" pack 2013 S85 has 80000 km (20000 km in the past year since we bought CPO) and charges to >96% original capacity.

Tesla battery packs lose a few percent capacity at first, and then capacity loss flattens out and drops very slowly after two years.

So a new 70D will absolutely have less range than a used 85, and the difference will grow as the 70D ages and then they will both even out and the 85 will retain the "lead" over the 70D for many more years based on results seen by other owners.
Now that the 70D is really a 75D, the degradation of the 70D battery will be slower than a real 70D.

Now this has not been proven, but we don't really know the full capacity in the 75D. While we know the 85 is really a 81 or so. After a few years and a few thousands mile it would probably be 78 or less. Yes you will most likely always be leading the 75D in capacity but you get a new car! With not much range decrease compared to the CPO s85 with much newer technology and quality and reliability. So IMO a much better buy than a $55K CPO S85. Now if the s85 was around $45K then sure the CPO will be a better deal than the new range locked 70D.

• Informative
Reactions: Wshowell