Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may have read Autotrader as "Auto Pilot " . I should have spelled it as two words . It seems the badging on all 2014's is just the number 85 with no P , D , or P+ . Does anyone know the different HP ratings on the P85 , P85+ and P85D for 2014 ? I went on Wikipedia , but it's all jumbled together .

There are "plain" 85's in 2014. so if you are seeing those on Autotrader, they are not P's or D's.

Here is a 2014 S85 ("plain" 85) for example: 85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H16EFP33400 | Tesla

Here is an example of a badged 2014 P85D and what they look like: Check out this 2014 Tesla Model S on Autotrader

Slightly off topic but why do people often cover up the VIN numbers when they are trying to sell their cars? What nefarious activities are they trying to eliminate? I have a general idea of age and features associated with VINs (sub 1K = signature, >20K has sensors and folding mirrors, >55K has AP etc) so the VIN contains useful info for me. I don't understand it so its kinda' a pet peeve, it's not their social security number. Oh and why don't people disclose what they sold or bought a used car for? How is that really "personal information"? Help me understand...

It's like people blurring out their license plate number lol

You may have read Autotrader as "Auto Pilot " . I should have spelled it as two words . It seems the badging on all 2014's is just the number 85 with no P , D , or P+ . Does anyone know the different HP ratings on the P85 , P85+ and P85D for 2014 ? I went on Wikipedia , but it's all jumbled together .
The reason there are a lot of 85's for sale from 2014 is the majority of cars sold up to the D car release were 85's. Recently lots of people have been trading in plain 85's for 90D's with Autopilot etc.

The chart from Wiki does a decent job stating the HP of each model:
Screen Shot 2016-08-02 at 11.45.03 PM.png

What happened to all the new lease specials they had already delivery cars with mileage already on them?

Interesting. What have you seen that says this?

Tesla just released an updated Preowned website with more filtering and sorting than they had before (although not quite as extensive as EV-CPO), and they changed the links to each car to use the entire VIN and not just the last 6 digits, so it's going to take me some time to revamp EV-CPO to work again. Unfortunately I'm at TMC Connect today, Bonnie's party tomorrow, and a Fremont factory tour on Monday, so I'm not sure I can fix it all on the road, but I'll try.

You'll have to ask Tesla, I don't have access to know that. Sorry.

Thank you, maybe I wasn't being clear, I was just asking if the inventory cars on the CPO link with lease prices is no longer available and why it was removed?, was just curious if anybody knew this. One day it was there, then the next day they added all the new filters but only on CPO. Can't seem to find "inventory" cars anymore.

Ty

Thank you, maybe I wasn't being clear, I was just asking if the inventory cars on the CPO link with lease prices is no longer available and why it was removed?, was just curious if anybody knew this. One day it was there, then the next day they added all the new filters but only on CPO. Can't seem to find "inventory" cars anymore.

Ty
Oh, sorry! You can now see the Inventory cars on Tesla's site here: Buy a new Tesla today | Tesla
You can also see all the CPO and Inventory cars on the CPO Consolidator here: https://EV-CPO.com

Slightly off topic but why do people often cover up the VIN numbers when they are trying to sell their cars? What nefarious activities are they trying to eliminate? I have a general idea of age and features associated with VINs (sub 1K = signature, >20K has sensors and folding mirrors, >55K has AP etc) so the VIN contains useful info for me. I don't understand it so its kinda' a pet peeve, it's not their social security number. Oh and why don't people disclose what they sold or bought a used car for? How is that really "personal information"? Help me understand...
Regarding the parking sensors and folding mirrors, be careful using hard rule of VINs >20K to ensure it will have those options. I've looked at many well into the 20K that did not have one or the other or neither. Remember VINs are not really a good indicator of build date as they are not built in order. My rule of thumb is >30K but even then can be hit or miss. Regardless, I always check the option codes to confirm for sure. PK01 for the parking sensors and X037 for the folding mirrors.

Regarding the parking sensors and folding mirrors, be careful using hard rule of VINs >20K to ensure it will have those options. I've looked at many well into the 20K that did not have one or the other or neither. Remember VINs are not really a good indicator of build date as they are not built in order. My rule of thumb is >30K but even then can be hit or miss. Regardless, I always check the option codes to confirm for sure. PK01 for the parking sensors and X037 for the folding mirrors.

Weren't parking sensors a stand alone option for a while? That might explain the hit or miss nature of that, unless someone remembers if they were ever rolled into the tech package before AP.

It is a pain looking at CPOs for this reason. One of the downsides of Teslas non-traditional model year program.

Weren't parking sensors a stand alone option for a while? That might explain the hit or miss nature of that, unless someone remembers if they were ever rolled into the tech package before AP.

It is a pain looking at CPOs for this reason. One of the downsides of Teslas non-traditional model year program.

Yes, parking sensors were a standalone option for a time. Folding mirrors were, to my knowledge, always either part of the tech package or retrofitted only -- it was not an option to order separately, but something that could be added separately, after-the-fact/after delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
I notice some are selling as Signature or Performance , but the badges simply read 85 . I have found many asking prices from $58,000 - $65,000 on the 85's . How do these VIN numbers read ?

Check out this 2014 Tesla Model S on Autotrader

The first is not a signature - signatures were very early Model S's and would have model year 2012. I believe that signatures would have an "S" in the VIN as the sixth character from the right, where this VIN has a P.

The second is not a performance, the badge would have a red "P" before the 85.

I notice some are selling as Signature or Performance , but the badges simply read 85 . I have found many asking prices from $58,000 - $65,000 on the 85's . How do these VIN numbers read ?

There is zero possibility of a 2014 model being a Signature. Those were only made in 2012. Both of those look like regular S85s to me.

Have you looked at Tesla's CPOs? Its a bit of a wild west shopping for Teslas on Autotrader being sold from other dealers. You won't be able to get the extended warranty, and you will need to be pretty knowledgeable about the cars to know what you are buying. Tesla offers a 50K mile warranty with all their CPOs, they are in the same price range as those Autotrader cars, and you know exactly what you will be buying.

For example, here is a nicely loaded P85 being sold directly from Tesla with the 50K mile warranty for $61,800
85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H13EFP30681 | Tesla

While it has more miles than the Autotrader S85, it is a Performance model, and will have the 50K warranty for basically the same price.

Last edited:

I never trust the listings by people and/or dealers on Autotrader (mostly dealers though) as they seem to be incorrect 90% of the time, at least in the headings of the listing. I always look for the badge or picture of the dash or center screen and hope they show the model. I blame the errors either in ignorance and not knowing any better or the listing options for the Model S in Autotrader are limited on what they break it down to.

While it has more miles than the Autotrader S85, it is a Performance model, and will have the 50K warranty for basically the same price.

While I'm sure @Az_Rael knows this, I will mention it explicitly. That 50k mile warranty is from the mileage at delivery. Thus, mileage before it is in your hands doesn't matter when buying it from Tesla, as the warranty would be valid for just as long if it has 5k miles as 45k miles.

Reactions: Az_Rael
While I'm sure @Az_Rael knows this, I will mention it explicitly. That 50k mile warranty is from the mileage at delivery. Thus, mileage before it is in your hands doesn't matter when buying it from Tesla, as the warranty would be valid for just as long if it has 5k miles as 45k miles.

Obviously I am biased but that's what makes buying a higher-mileage CPO a great deal for those on a budget. My S is under full CPO warranty until 101,000 miles or May of 2020.

I never trust the listings by people and/or dealers on Autotrader (mostly dealers though) as they seem to be incorrect 90% of the time, at least in the headings of the listing. I always look for the badge or picture of the dash or center screen and hope they show the model. I blame the errors either in ignorance and not knowing any better or the listing options for the Model S in Autotrader are limited on what they break it down to.

No wonder why I was confused . There must be a dozen listed as Performance that are actually standard 85 . What does the pay Performance add ? Is this one is a P model ?

No wonder why I was confused . There must be a dozen listed as Performance that are actually standard 85 . What does the pay Performance add ? Is this one is a P model ?

That one is definitely a P85, you can tell quickly by the badging, but also the seats - I believe those are the Performance seats and were only offered as an option on the P cars.

I am not looking for a P, so I don't know all the ins and outs of them, but the biggest thing you get is the extra performance off the line (faster) vs the regular 85 (which isn't a slouch by any means)