Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can any P85 or S85 cpo owners help me to understand the real life range of my Tesla? I have a 2012 P85 with 21 wheels. It has about 37k miles on it. I work about 11 mile from home and my daily trip is usually about 25 miles round trip. So far maximum distance i traveled with %90 daily charge is about 150 miles.
Since last charge data shows (150 miles) (52.4kwh) (351 wh/mi). 18 miles left on the battery.
I was not expecting to get advertised 265 miles per charge but expecting more than 150-160 miles.
When i serviced my car, i asked them to check the battery and they told me battery health is normal.
Am i missing something or is this normal with P85's with 350wh/mile average?
Ps: For the test, i did not accelerated hard and ac/heater usage was minimum. I do not have pre-conditioning or always connect options enabled.
Thanks in advance.
Actually the 350wh/mi is pretty common for RWD tesla with 21 inch rim and running heater driving spiritedly. It is the 160 miles range that might be the issue you should look into.

Your 85Kwh battery is really a 81Kwh battery. Combined with a typical degradation for the mileage, I would say at most 10% but should be closer to 8% provided the previous owner charged the battery to less than 90% on their daily charge.

Using that formula, you should have at least 72KWh left. Going on your 350wh/mi number it should give you 205 miles before empty. Which is probably closer to 190 or 200 because you probably don't run it empty.

My conclusion is either your battery is really out of balance like other have said or the previous owner didn't take care of the battery when they owned the car.

I would run the car to as low as possible and fully charge it and repeat a couple time each time when fully charged 100%, leaving it plugged in for a while to let the cells balance.

I spoke to a Pre-Owned Advisor yesterday, who told me it currently takes 3-6 weeks to deliver CPO's. Do we have any ideas how the obligatory end-of-quarter/end-of-year delivery push will effect CPO's? I'm guessing new cars take priority. Do CPO's count in delivery numbers? I've never really dug into the quarterly reports.
I think they count but obv nowhere near a new car sale. They pay something when they take the car back which gets booked then they make something back when they sell it which also gets booked. I doubt it's anywhere near the amount they make on a new car though so yeah they would have priority.

Can any P85 or S85 cpo owners help me to understand the real life range of my Tesla? I have a 2012 P85 with 21 wheels. It has about 37k miles on it. I work about 11 mile from home and my daily trip is usually about 25 miles round trip. So far maximum distance i traveled with %90 daily charge is about 150 miles.
Since last charge data shows (150 miles) (52.4kwh) (351 wh/mi). 18 miles left on the battery.
I was not expecting to get advertised 265 miles per charge but expecting more than 150-160 miles.
When i serviced my car, i asked them to check the battery and they told me battery health is normal.
Am i missing something or is this normal with P85's with 350wh/mile average?
Ps: For the test, i did not accelerated hard and ac/heater usage was minimum. I do not have pre-conditioning or always connect options enabled.
Thanks in advance.

I have a 2012 S85 and my 90% is 218-ish miles. As others have said, 350 is a little high, but not outrageous. I would recommend that you check your tire pressure. It took my tires being 10 lbs low to trigger the TPMS warning. That can make a noticeable difference in efficiency.

What does it mean to 'balance the cells'?
Charge the car to anything above 93%, preferably all the way to 100%. Then instead of driving off, let it sit, plugged in, at that level (again, preferably 100%) for an hour or 2. The Battery Monitoring Software (BMS) will keep an eye on all the individual cells, and if any are lower voltage then the rest, they are slowly balanced out so that the whole pack is consistant in it's charge.

It makes the battery overall show a correct useable charge, and helps keep the pack healthy. It is not recommended that you leave it sitting at 100% for much longer then an hour or so, as leaving lithium batteries fully charged for long periods is unhealthy for them. So after that time you should drive a bit and bring it back down under 93% again before leaving the car sitting for an extended period of time.

/edit I use 93% as above that (94% or greater) triggers the cell balancing routine, discovered by Wk057. Also 93% was originally the "daily" charge limit in older software versions. Currently it's standardized at 90% instead.

Last edited:
Charge the car to anything above 93%, preferably all the way to 100%. Then instead of driving off, let it sit, plugged in, at that level (again, preferably 100%) for an hour or 2. The Battery Monitoring Software (BMS) will keep an eye on all the individual cells, and if any are lower voltage then the rest, they are slowly balanced out so that the whole pack is consistant in it's charge.

It makes the battery overall show a correct useable charge, and helps keep the pack healthy. It is not recommended that you leave it sitting at 100% for much longer then an hour or so, as leaving lithium batteries fully charged for long periods is unhealthy for them. So after that time you should drive a bit and bring it back down under 93% again before leaving the car sitting for an extended period of time.

/edit I use 93% as above that (94% or greater) triggers the cell balancing routine, discovered by Wk057. Also 93% was originally the "daily" charge limit in older software versions. Currently it's standardized at 90% instead.

Wow! Good info! Thanks!!!

Reactions: Fiver
Say hello to my little friend!
Wanted a P85+ but the financially responsible me decided to go with an S85.
This car wasn't on the site.

2014 blue s85 with grey leather interior.

VlSeewx.jpg

Last edited:

Are you amenable to disclose the price on that S85? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger before Dec 31. I'm thinking of a 2014 - S85 - under 40k miles - with the 21' Wheels.

Mmmmm, I feel like a "real" Tesla owner already. ;) I got my CPO inspection report back today, and it looks like I had to have a drive unit replaced. Glad they found it instead of me finding it after driving away, then having to immediately schedule a service visit.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
Okay, this isn't a Model S specific question, but wondering if it may apply to MS also - I've been looking at a few MX in inventory and CPO over the last month or so while looking for my MX. I think they INCREASED the price on them!

I was thinking maybe they would do another end of the year push and drop prices, that's why I was waiting so long before pulling the trigger on my MX.

I just bought my MX and went to look at the MXs in inventory just to compare and I can swear they raised the prices by around $10k. Anyone notice this???

The first sub $40K Model S in a long time showed up today... it only lasted an hour or so. Details for those interested:

2013 S60 P24623
44,166 miles
Located in New England
$39,500
Black Solid Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Wheels
Black Nappa Leather Seats

Yup saw that.

Here is the mobile website screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-12-14-10-10-08.png