Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is how Tesla will reach the 35,000 car- buy used. heck even at 27.5K that's like getting the Fed tax credit too. I've been telling people this for a couple of years, eventually, anyone that wants a 35K Tesla will be able to buy one, it just won't be a new one. Someone got a really good deal on this in < 15 min after it was posted by Tesla

This is how Tesla will reach the 35,000 car- buy used. heck even at 27.5K that's like getting the Fed tax credit too. I've been telling people this for a couple of years, eventually, anyone that wants a 35K Tesla will be able to buy one, it just won't be a new one. Someone got a really good deal on this in < 15 min after it was posted by Tesla

I said something similar about 6 months ago r/leaf - I guess I won't be getting a 24 kWh Leaf for a 60 mile commute in 0 degree weather.

Since then the Model 3 ramp went slower than I expected (by a quarter aka 3 months) and the CPO refurbishment process went away.

I was planning on being able to point to lower used prices in a couple of months (contrary to odd84s poor reading comprehension my time period hasn't expired yet on the original prediction, I was talking about late august to mid September and he jumped on me 3 months before that to tell me how wrong I was, yet we still don't know for certain the result).

I'll have to add 9 months, which would put us in June 2019. Why 9 months? Cars rebound in price around tax return time, gotta give it time to avoid the entire tax season when you get into the sub $30,000 used car market if you want to make predictions more than a few months out.

Here's one on autotrader for $27,000 Autotrader - page unavailable

2013 Tesla Model S Performance - 66,050 miles
85 kWh Model S - White Solid Paint - 19" Wheels - Tan Nappa Leather Seats - Obeche Wood Matte Decor - Free Supercharger Enabled - Body Color Roof - Tech Package - Keyless Entry - Power Liftgate - GPS Enabled Homelink - "The Law" License Plate Holder Installed - Lifetime Free Supercharging - Tesla CPO Warranty with 13 months and 33,050 miles remaining!

A/C ice cold, All records, Factory GPS system, Must see, Never seen snow, New tires, No accidents, Non-smoker, One owner, Perfect first car, Satellite radio, Seats like new, Title in hand, Very clean interior

If that is a $27,000 car now, what will it be worth when the Model 3 reservation queue is empty next summer?

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
I said something similar about 6 months ago r/leaf - I guess I won't be getting a 24 kWh Leaf for a 60 mile commute in 0 degree weather.

Since then the Model 3 ramp went slower than I expected (by a quarter aka 3 months) and the CPO refurbishment process went away.

I was planning on being able to point to lower used prices in a couple of months (contrary to odd84s poor reading comprehension my time period hasn't expired yet on the original prediction, I was talking about late august to mid September and he jumped on me 3 months before that to tell me how wrong I was, yet we still don't know for certain the result).

I'll have to add 9 months, which would put us in June 2019. Why 9 months? Cars rebound in price around tax return time, gotta give it time to avoid the entire tax season when you get into the sub $30,000 used car market if you want to make predictions more than a few months out.

If that is a $27,000 car now, what will it be worth when the Model 3 reservation queue is empty next summer?

Reservation Queue empty next summer ???

While Tesla will have a lot of overseas Model 3 reservations to fulfill, it does seem likely that USA/Canada reservations will be done, including those waiting for the base model. Even now, reservations aren't needed anymore for those ordering LR + PUP versions.

I suppose that this could put additional downward pressure on Model S used and CPO prices.

FYI, this autotrader ad appears to be a fake listing. The same car is listed on ebay for $41K (and listed in MD, which is consistent with the license plate, as opposed to CA, which is the location of the autotrader ad). Word to the wise.

at 5000-7000 a week Tesla can pump almost 100,000 a quarter in 2018, I'd expect more than 100,000 a quarter in 2019. That's another 150,000 to 200,000 more Model 3 in late 2018 and then another 200,000 Model 3 in the first half of 2019.

Surely you'd agree that 400,000 Model 3 would empty the reservation queue. Not every one that reserved will convert to a purchase.

If even 10% of those have Model S trade ins that is a large chunk of CPO/private sale used cars coming.

2012 Model S 85 $27.8k

Pros:
  • $27.8k
  • Tech Package/Power liftgage
  • Hi-Fi sound
  • Smart Air Suspension
  • Free Supercharging
  • 4,836 miles of warranty left
Cons:
  • 95,164 miles
  • Very early non-sig VIN P01625
  • 4,836 miles of warranty left
View attachment 317439

Dang too bad I didnt see this sooner, would have bought it then retrofitted the rear facing seats in it. A day late and dollar short as the saying goes, will keep looking.