Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (Model S & X) no longer eligible for Ontario rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is listed on rebate page. It's AWD. Limited all electric range tho.

Having driven RWD Tesla Model S for many winters, AWD is not a necessary option for Canadian winter. Good winter tires are actually what's needed.

Thanks for the option.

As for AWD, thanks for your opinion, but we've been driving into our rural place in the Gatineau Hills for 30 years. Trust me, you (or any of the other 25 people who use this dirt road) would make it up the two hills all winter in 2WD. In freezing rain, even my light 4WD SX4 w winter tires slips down and I have to walk in. Subaru Ottawa lives off our group! (Why do people often think they know better what other people need? I said I need AWD, I need AWD)

Wow, guess I'm lucky, got incentive already :). Is it because of election happening soon? Why all the sudden they change MSRP requirement to above $75,000? My self, I cannot afford to cash out this car, but I did my best to finance this vehicle, and this $14,000 really encouraged me to pull the trigger.

Without this incentive, how am I going to convince family and friends to buy Model S and X :( , going to be hard ...

Last edited:
Reactions: RedOctober
Wow, guess I'm lucky, got incentive already :). Is it because of election happening soon? Why all the sudden they change MSRP requirement to above $75,000? My self, I cannot afford to cash out this car, but I did my best to finance this vehicle, and this $14,000 really encouraged me to pull the trigger.

Without this incentive, how am I going to convince family and friends to buy Model S and X :( , going to be hard ...

There are too many Tesla haters, that’s why BMW X5 23km PHEV on the list but not a single Tesla.

You are lucky, Ontario only opened Tesla rebate windows for about a year.

I was checking Ontario's Incentives and Eligible Vehicles page and I swear I used to see the Tesla S and X on this page (a search for "Tesla" even points to this page). It looks like they changed the policy today (March 9).

Neither model is there now. Is this policy new which might have disqualified them?
"Incentives will no longer be provided for PHEVs or BEVs with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $75,000 or more"

I'm hoping the MSRP is the base price, and we should still get a rebate for a Model 3 assuming it starts at ~CA$45 K, no?

Here's the previous program, still good until Sept. 7, 2018 - better buy your S or X before then!

Anyone?

There are too many Tesla haters, that’s why BMW X5 23km PHEV on the list but not a single Tesla.
Really - so you think the Liberal govt and/or bureaucrats are specifically concoting a strategy to exclude Tesla? Interesting.

You are lucky, Ontario only opened Tesla rebate windows for about a year.
Not totally true - there was a previous rebate program of about $8000 when I got my car in 2015. The $14k rebate was more recent and was open for a year or so.

Reactions: Breezy
Really - so you think the Liberal govt and/or bureaucrats are specifically concoting a strategy to exclude Tesla? Interesting.

The whole program seems to be more about optics and politics as opposed to promoting EVs and fighting climate change

Stopping government money from going to Tesla buyers makes for a good headline, and distraction from the Liberal scandals

Reactions: mrElbe

Not totally true - there was a previous rebate program of about $8000 when I got my car in 2015. The $14k rebate was more recent and was open for a year or so.

I was joking about Tesla haters, don't take it seriously.

Yes, the rebate was 3000 and then 8000, and then 14000. The 14000 only lasts about a year.

BTW, I have got my leaf at 8000, and two months later they increased to 11000, and I was after the cut off date to get my car registered and I got additional 3000$ in mail.

MTO website DOES NOT list TESLA as a qualified EV manufacturer !
That presently will ELIMINATE Model 3 applications!
Could it be an oversight?

We're pretty sure it's because the Model 3 isn't officially on sale in Ontario yet, @rdcessford therefore it can't be listed for rebate.

However, I tried to find some official listing to back up that claim, and amazingly the Model 3 is already listed in Transport Canada's Fuel Consumption Guide! (LR only) Interesting...

Last edited:
Got mine for S100D last week. Tesla Montreal forgot to send in EV aplication at delivery 10 NOV 2011
We're pretty sure it's because the Model 3 isn't officially on sale in Ontario yet, @rdcessford therefore it can't be listed for rebate.

However, I tried to find some official listing to back up that claim, and amazingly the Model 3 is listed in Transport Canada's Fuel Consumption Guide! (LR only) Interesting...

Besides the expensive S and X, what AWD EV options do I have before the 3 arrives?

I stand by my original assertion that there is no EV you can buy that fits your needs today. If you don't need a replacement vehicle soon you could wait it out, or you could buy a used AWD vehicle to tide you over until there are options. On the used market you can find an AWD Tesla in the $90,000 range, and those too will come down in price the longer you can wait, though probably not enough to compete with a new model 3.

I can say that for true ice-storm hill conditions, you might want to consider keeping a winch in your vehicle, whatever you buy.