Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (Model S & X) no longer eligible for Ontario rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean that you rather pay full price of coming Model 3 than vote Wynne?

You can still vote PC and get your rebate, is this sound better?;)

I would be more inclined to think the opposite is true. The Liberals have taken it away [in part] because surely they don't want to be seen as offering this giveaway to the "rich" but once the election is over, maybe the environment trumps their desire for class warfare for political gain.

I think the Conservatives (I'd like to think I am one fiscally - just not socially), could care less about the environment. I am not even convinced that the new leader truly believes in climate change.

Anyone know what the National Green party's position is on EV rebates or incentives to purchase EV cars? I wonder if they include wealth as a measure of who should get what, to support the environment.

I would be more inclined to think the opposite is true. The Liberals have taken it away [in part] because surely they don't want to be seen as offering this giveaway to the "rich" but once the election is over, maybe the environment trumps their desire for class warfare for political gain.

I think the Conservatives (I'd like to think I am one fiscally - just not socially), could care less about the environment. I am not even convinced that the new leader truly believes in climate change.

Anyone know what the National Green party's position is on EV rebates or incentives to purchase EV cars? I wonder if they include wealth as a measure of who should get what, to support the environment.

I totally agree. The PC's will end are incentives to EV's.

I'm not aware of data to either support or contradict your assertions. As I already noted it's not clear if:
  • more Teslas on the road leads to more desire for EVs among all buyers, simply by making EVs an object of desire; or
  • whether or not prospective Tesla buyers are influenced by the extra $14,000 cost
If you have data to support your assertion I am very interested.

I don't have data one way or another, but I will say that I chose the configuration of my second Model X in order to get the rebate, forgoing options that I really wanted in order to qualify. Though I can afford it, the extra $14,000 was an important factor in my personal decision making.

As someone who can afford these vehicles, I find it surprising that those who can't assume that those who can don't care about money. I have money because I have saved a very large fraction of my income for a very long time. One of the most influential things ever said to me, which I heard in my early 20s, was "Great wealth is not earned. It is accumulated." Truer words never spoken ... you cannot earn wealth by having a solid income -- you must also not spend your money. That includes buying cars of any description ... I worked for 10+ years before buying my first new vehicle of any kind. Cars, all cars, are simply a terrible use of $.

I can actually see a luxury tax added to cars, trucks and SUV's over $75,000.00 this could make this EV program revenue neutral.

I was literally going to place my Model S 100D order on Friday when I got a call from Tesla telling me the bad news about the rebate. I realize anecdotes and data aren't the same thing, but it did change my thinking. Instead of going new, I went with a service loaner with 9,000 kms (which would not have qualified for the $14,000 rebate). I wouldn't say we are rich, but affordability in either scenario is not an issue. In most scenarios I'll take the best deal over something as fleeting as the experience of a car being completely new.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric

PC will certainly end EV incentive, just matter of time. I don't think PC can and possible to end current program just after they win the election. It could take some time, finger crossed we will be able to get our Model 3 before that happens.

BTW, who said PC will win this election? Ppl some times uses their feet to vote, just as no polls predicted Clinton will lose to Trump.

This political conjecture is interesting, but still opinion. We don't know who will win the election any more than we know if the rebate will be repealed, or when Tesla will hit 2,500 Model 3s / week ("It's a fact Elon won't deliver 2,500 cars in March" is not a fact, it's an opinion, an estimate, a guess). That's why they have elections, right?? And the majority of prognosticators who were so sure about a result even weeks before it was held, were wrong in Alberta in 2015, wrong in UK / Brexit in 2016, wrong in US 2017, even wrong in the federal election of 2015 (who predicted the Liberals would quadruple their share of seats and win a majority?).

A lot will happen between now and June 12th, especially because how voters will respond to Doug Ford is unknown. Don't be so sure of the result. It's going to be interesting.

My $0.02 worth.

To my fellow Ontarian's.

Please do not vote Liberal JUST for the Ontario rebate!

There is much more at play than just one issue...

Kathleen Wynne has done an abysmal job on so many portfolios. Either vote responsibly... or dont vote at all.

I agree completely (about not voting simply on one issue), but the problem is, what happens when you equally disagree with others on other important issues.

As I wrote before, I consider myself a fiscal conservative, however, I consider myself a social hippie. So, I find myself disagreeing with every party on a lot of issues.

Ford is going to be terrible on the environment, sex ed curriculum (I have a 12 year old and a 10 year old and I like the new curriculum because it is realistic). He'll be good at finding and cutting out waste but he is a bit of a bully and I don't like bullies.

Wynne seems to have inherited one of the most corrupt provinicial governments in a long time. I still can't believe there aren't at least 10 Liberals in jail for the gas plant stuff.

Horvath is just out to lunch. If she couldn't win the last election, she never will, plus she doesn't seem to have a position on anything, other than "rich are bad", "poor are good".

I'd say voting for the PC's would be easy if they just lay off the well settled social issues, like abortion, marriage equality, sex ed and even the environment.

Either vote responsibly... or dont vote at all.

Advocating for voter suppression has been a plank of right wing conservative platforms across the world.

You can't possibly mean to advise people not to vote? It's a democracy. Encourage participation. Please.

Downvoted only because of this stance you took.

Please reconsider.

It's almost like you believe there is only one option...otherwise why tell people not to vote. So concerned your choice will be drowned out by the will of others?

Sigh

Advocating for voter suppression has been a plank of right wing conservative platforms across the world.

You can't possibly mean to advise people not to vote? It's a democracy. Encourage participation. Please.

Downvoted only because of this stance you took.

Please reconsider.

It's almost like you believe there is only one option...otherwise why tell people not to vote. So concerned your choice will be drowned out by the will of others?

Sigh

Sigh...

Im not advocating for voter suppression. On the contrary, i would love to see 100% voter turnout. The issue we have is ill informed votership. Which can be very dangerous.

Just look to the south for a perfect example. People were tired of "the establishment"... and voted in Trump with no actual knowledge of his policies and/or not fact checking.

Im actually in the exact same position as @Struja .i am curious as to your belief that the right wing is for voter suppression... but i digress...

My point is that people need to inform themselves before just jumping on party loyalty or just voting for someone based off of 1 issue alone.

Sigh...

Im not advocating for voter suppression. On the contrary, i would love to see 100% voter turnout. The issue we have is ill informed votership. Which can be very dangerous.

Just look to the south for a perfect example. People were tired of "the establishment"... and voted in Trump with no actual knowledge of his policies and/or not fact checking.

Im actually in the exact same position as @Struja .i am curious as to your belief that the right wing is for voter suppression... but i digress...

My point is that people need to inform themselves before just jumping on party loyalty or just voting for someone based off of 1 issue alone.
Are communist leaders for voter suppression?