Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Friday, my wife took our S75D to Big-O Tires for a set of Michelin Primacies. ($1125 out the door with everything, if you wonder. 19")

On Sunday, she left in the car ...then called to say she was on her way back because the car says one of the tires was low. I fired up the compressor and was ready when she arrived. Found Big-O had pumped all the tires up to 50psi (door sticker clearly says 45), but indeed the left front was down to 29. Crud. I moved 5 pounds from each of the other three into the left front. ;)

But that's not the Tesla Moment.

That was when I took it to Big-O this morning. While I was waiting, the service writer had a few questions. "That's a Tesla, right?" Yup. "So, what kind of mileage do they get. You know, when they run out of electricity?" Yeah, it's not a Chevy Volt: it's only electric. No gas. Ever. "I thought they tried that, but there was a problem with, well, when the batteries run out, you can't go anymore?" How is that different from any other car? "Hm. Yeah...." Told him that in less than a year, we've put 25K miles on it, including several cross-country trips. I'll let him think about that and look forward to seeing if he has any other questions when I go back in tomorrow. :rolleyes:

(Diagnosis: sidewall puncture; they have a replacement tire on the way to install tomorrow. Thank goodness for road hazard coverage, which is why I politely declined new tires from the Tesla Service Center when I was in recently.)

I drove in the middle lane on a freeway yesterday, cruising at 70-ish. There's a minivan about to pass me on the fast lane. Before I know it, they adjust the speed to match mine, both passenger windows roll down and the folks put their hands to their ear (as in to listen to what kind of noise my car makes) :D

Exact same thing happened to me on the weekend. it was a bit unnerving because I didn't know what was the matter. Was somehting hanging out of my car? Was I dragging a body on the ground? All they wanted to do was to make sure I was looking at them (no problem since I had AP on) and that they could give me the "thumbs up :)".

Kind of made my own Tesla moment this weekend. My son recently got his permit and has been logging his driving hours on his mom's ICE. He's a great kid and a careful driver, but I hadn't gotten to the point of letting him drive the Tesla. He's also a gear head from rebuilding hot rods with this grandpa - can rebuild an engine and weld, but also loves all things Tesla from his father.....sooo, he has youth group on Sunday just down the road from our house, I pull the Tesla out of the garage while he's putting on his shoes and get out and get in the passenger seat. He came out of the house, paused for a second, and with admirable equanimity, got in and adjusted the driver's seat. After a quick familiarization with the controls and discussion of regenerative braking, we were off.

"Dad....this is how cars should feel when you drive them."

"Yes, son, now you know one of the reasons we drive and invest in Tesla."

Priceless.

Last edited:
So I picked up my car yesterday and I was driving by a mall in the central suburbs. At a redlight, A guy in a truck had this look on his face like “what the heck?” and at the corner of my eye I saw him kind of extend out his driver windshield to get a good front to back look.

Same day I had a car behind me whip out their phone at a intersection and I’m assuming taking photos/video. I noticed in my rear view mirror.

It was a bit surreal because I’ve been reading this thread for the last 3 months waiting to take delivery of my car. I thought maybe some instances mentioned were exaggerated, however I’ve come to realize it really is true how weird people act when they see your car.

I’m more than certain this won’t be the last of the random paparazzi photo ops :p

Yesterday the idiot in me kicked in. I had to deliver some stickers a performance tunning shop ordered me to print. I stopped infront of the open shop door. There were the owners, mechanics and sume customers in the shop. Everybody stopped doing what they were doing and came oti ti see the tesla. I got out of the car and with very serious and concerned voice told them - can you look at it - I think it misfires cylinder #3

I got my first thumbs up from a driver in front of me while driving yesterday. At first, I wasn't sure if it was for me since he was in front and stuck his hand out the window to give the thumbs up. But when I waved back, he nodded his head to acknowledge. It brought a smile to my face. I was telling me secretary about it and she said she when she used to own a Mustang, she would get thumbs up from other Mustang drivers. With owning a Tesla, you'd be getting a lot more waves and acknowledgments from drivers if they actually knew that it's a Tesla. Instead, I get the feeling that it's more double takes and puzzled looks when it shoots off the line or just wondering why it doesn't have a grill.

Reactions: hiroshiy and arcus
...That was when I took it to Big-O this morning. While I was waiting, the service writer had a few questions. "That's a Tesla, right?" Yup. "So, what kind of mileage do they get. You know, when they run out of electricity?" Yeah, it's not a Chevy Volt: it's only electric. No gas. Ever. "I thought they tried that, but there was a problem with, well, when the batteries run out, you can't go anymore?" How is that different from any other car? "Hm. Yeah...." Told him that in less than a year, we've put 25K miles on it, including several cross-country trips. I'll let him think about that and look forward to seeing if he has any other questions when I go back in tomorrow. :rolleyes:...
The first time I took my car to Recla [metals recycling/scrapyard in Montrose CO] they jokingly offered to buy my car for scrap. I showed them the size of the trunk and frunk and answered the usual questions. Now whenever I go there they recognize my car immediately. It isn't a common car to be seen at a scrapyard out here in the boondocks!

Last edited:
I guess I'll throw in a few of my experiences.

First was the drive from Houston (where I picked up my car) back to Lafayette. A couple in a red Model S came up beside me on the Interstate and were smiling ear to ear and giving thumbs up. I returned both.

I was (am) the fifth registered Tesla owner in Lafayette Parish, so not a lot of recognition around here. My Z06 gets a lot more attention. Just in the last week though, I've had a few responses. I had a dragging sound under my car and I assumed it was a tree branch or something, but after checking, it turned out to be the little plastic trim piece around the lip of the battery under the car. Not sure what it's purpose is, but the plastic rivet fell out and I stopped at Auto Zone for a replacement. As I pulled up, two Auto Zone guys came out and start gawking and asking questions. One even wanted pictures and said "we've never seen a Tesla here". He was nice enough to find the correct size rivet and stick it in. Some days later, two young guys in a Honda Accord rolled their window down at a light and asked about how I charge it. I told them it just plugs in every night like a cell phone.

For the most part, people don't notice it. It's just another sedan. To those who know (motorheads), it's something worth paying attention to.

I usually don't make sideway glances at other drivers when I'm stopped at a light but today on my way home, I saw in the corner of my eye a lady signaling me to roll down the window. When I did, she gave a thumbs up and showed appreciation for the Tesla and I thanked her. I think she wanted to ask me about the car but the light turned green. It's the second day in a row that I've gotten recognition while driving. Now, I'm gonna have to start making glances at other drivers to see if they acknowledge the car and want to chat for a bit :p

I have the Westmont store/sc about a mile from me so there tends to be a lot of them in my general area. I did have a "tesla moment though" the other morning. I was taking the car to the SC for some rocker panel issues (they came cracked from the factory) and the local elemetray school bus stop is right out side my house. I pulled out of my drive way and this one kid's jaw hit the floor. he gave me the roll the window down signal and asked "is that a tesla?! I said yes and he starts pointing and shouting to all the other kids at the bus stop. It's a tesla, its a tesla!!!!" so I silently drove away knowing I did my part to further the cause lol

I've had quite a lot of Tesla moments, mostly the standard stuff. One was a bit different. I drove from Houston to Dallas to meet a coworker for a couple of days working side-by-side. On the way up, I decided to listen to comedy routines, so I voice commanded "Play Bill Burr". I selected the first routine that came up, which turned out to be his bit about the 1936 Olympics, and the media player create a channel based on the title. I didn't notice the name until showing my coworker around and we got to the media player: "Hitler Radio". Oops, that took a little explaining!

Something about places called "Lafayette", apparently ;)

Yeah what is it about Teslas in Lafayette? In this Lafayette, Teslas are common...it's a very rare day when I don't see a handful of Teslas while taking my son to school five minutes away.

Although I did have a nice Tesla moment last week...I passed a silver S85D on the freeway which was almost a twin of my car. It was neat to see that same car catch up to me later, and the driver giving me a smile and a wave (enthusiastically returned once I got over my surprise, nobody waves around here anymore).

Bruce.