Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Can Edit Maps to Improve Summon Routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The underlying maps are assumed to be by mapbox, with routing provided by Valhalla. Google doesn’t allow outside apps to use its routing.
There is a chance that they are getting some additional info from OSM, but I haven’t heard of anything.

Mapbox and Mapzen/Valhalla get their data from OpenStreetMap (who gets their data primarily from volunteer contributors).

Mapbox - OpenStreetMap Wiki
Valhalla - OpenStreetMap Wiki

Reactions: brkaus
I... it looks like professionals mapped out the lot. They mapped each individual tree in the landscaping area, etc.

There is a good chance it was mapped by a local volunteer. You can view details and history by starting from the main OpenStreetMap page. Select the Query Features tool (the arrow and question mark on the bottom right). Click near the feature you are interested in, then select it from the returned list, on the left. This will show details about the feature, including the username of the mapper and a link to their profile. At the very bottom of the details will be a link to View History.

OpenStreetMap

There is a good chance it was mapped by a local volunteer. You can view details and history by starting from the main OpenStreetMap page. Select the Query Features tool (the arrow and question mark on the bottom right). Click near the feature you are interested in, then select it from the returned list, on the left. This will show details about the feature, including the username of the mapper and a link to their profile. At the very bottom of the details will be a link to View History.

OpenStreetMap

Thanks! Looks like you're right. Two separate people did the edits, the trees were done 10 years ago, and the parking lot 5 years ago. Didn't think anyone would bother tagging individual trees unless they were being paid :) I guess I should never underestimate the power of crowdsourcing.

Thanks! Looks like you're right. Two separate people did the edits, the trees were done 10 years ago, and the parking lot 5 years ago. Didn't think anyone would bother tagging individual trees unless they were being paid :) I guess I should never underestimate the power of crowdsourcing.

I mapped my entire neighborhood to make Pokemon Go working. They haven't updated the game map for years, but OSM looks perfekt!

Hi all Tesla owners, and a very big, warm welcome to the OpenStreetMap community.
As an OSM community member, I have no idea about Tesla's OSM usage beyond what's in this thread, but a few tips about the map part.

First - a massive thank you for improving OSM. This being an open dataset/project (sometimes simplisticly called "Wikipedia or maps"), all contributions are highly valued. Your improvements don't go to just Tesla's, they go to Geocaching maps, Facebook maps, Strava maps (except slippy maps on mobile devices), maps.me and OsmAnd mobile applications, many (most?) hiking mapping services, PokemonGO map and many, many other locations.
One edit, and you have improved the map for dozens if not hundreds of websites, mobile applications and other services. How cool is that?

Second - my take on a few OSM-related topics from this thread.

1. ratsbew wrote: "I use "driveway" to connect the street to the lot"
This is not terribly incorrect, but "serviceway" (maybe called just "service road"?) might be a better fit for that segment. Just a nitpick :)

2. Armee_1 wrote: "The underlying maps are assumed to be by mapbox"
MapBox started out using purely OSM data. While they might have mixed in some other data sources, I believe it's mostly OSM in the USA, at least. If so, street routing could also use OSM data, and a few posters have noted that their edits to streets in OSM have resulted in improvements for routing. Note that displayed maps and background routing service have no requirement to use the same data source, and based on the comments here, tiles are not from OSM (unfortunately, for now?).

3. sheamurai shared images of their OSM improvements - looks great, thank you for contributing :)
A tiny nitpick - it's better to avoid adding names like "parking" or "driveway" - those are not real names of the entities. In OSM, tags are used to classify objects (like those parking isle, serviceway and other classifications you all used). Names would only be the real names, like street names.
On this topic, if somebody decides to add a restaurant, tag (classify) it as a restaurant, but do not append "restaurant" in the name - that's redundant and considered not the best approach in OSM. Same goes for shops and other things.

Oh, and talking about shops, pubs, restaurants... You can add all that in OSM and get it in all those websites, mobile applications and other map data consumers in one go. Consider maps.me/OsmAnd (offline maps, including routing) for your vacation trips, you might be pleasantly surprised by the coverage in a random place in Europe or Asia :)

Maybe drop by a mappy hour in a nearby pub or another event (see the event calendar at OpenStreetMap Wiki)... OSM is the "nicest" map in the world, and the community is generally very friendly, too.

Another very warm welcome and happy mapping.

Thanks for the tips.
I’m wondering if you can point us via a link or address to a parking lot that has been updated perfectly, and with the most possible detail.
This way, we can mirror this to what we are updating.

I’m wondering if instead of one “parking isle” per lane, we used two per lane, and illustrated them directionally, if that’s better than one. ?

Thanks

I’m wondering if instead of one “parking isle” per lane, we used two per lane, and illustrated them directionally, if that’s better than one. ?

Thanks

That's actually what I theorized in another post about how smart summon may be picking it's driving lines down an aisle. If there isn't data to tell the car there should be two distinct lanes of travel directionally then it may just be following where the line is in the data. There are only two way I can think of to MAYBE remedy this...make two seperate lane aisle lines on the map with directional indications, or maybe change it to say a residential road with the tag that it has 2 lanes.

There is a parking lot right under a major freeway intersection where SS would not work since it thought it was on the public freeway. It seems to be already mapped correctly in OSM so I wonder if there is anything else I can do in OSM to make SS know its actually in the private parking lot and not the public freeway. Or is it more that my Tesla can only do GPS in 2 dimensions ignoring elevation?

OpenStreetMap

Thanks for the tips.
I’m wondering if you can point us via a link or address to a parking lot that has been updated perfectly, and with the most possible detail.
This way, we can mirror this to what we are updating.

Thanks

I wouldn't do this without talking to someone heavily involved in OSS. There are lots of community guidelines on things like this and doing something odd like that just might upset people. For example, Waze has pretty strict guidelines on when and how to actually split a divided road into each direction vs leaving a 2 way street down the middle. Yet there are people trying to earn "editor points" that see those as an opportunity to create edits and move them up the ladder. Can make a mess of things. Now, with that said, I don't know anything about social hierarchy in OSS.

I'm still not convinced this is really changing the way Tesla smart summon works. There appears to be enough semi-randomness to me that more things might be at play and this is really just a ploy to get all the parking lots of the world mapped!

0B44F2C3-D906-4D9B-AAFB-D3C2DB1C8EFC.png
That's actually what I theorized in another post about how smart summon may be picking it's driving lines down an aisle. If there isn't data to tell the car there should be two distinct lanes of travel directionally then it may just be following where the line is in the data. There are only two way I can think of to MAYBE remedy this...make two seperate lane aisle lines on the map with directional indications, or maybe change it to say a residential road with the tag that it has 2 lanes.

This is what I was thinking of trying.
I’ll let you know if it helps.

So I finally had a chance to test out Smart Summon after taking the time to update the parking lot where I work. Summon had failed the few times I tried it previously but I'm happy to report it worked perfectly today. In previous attempts it would draw a route directly to where I was sumonning to even though it would have to drive over islands to go that way. Today it routed around the islands and traversed the path perfectly! Thanks OP for bringing this to our attention. I also took the time to update several other parking lots near me. I may never use it at those locations but someone probably will benefit from it.

When you updated the map, did you add and use traffic island? I was thinking of going back to some of the parking lots I have been working on an add traffic islands.