Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls entire Model S fleet for seat belts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is a "recall" different from all the other stuff they have proactively fixed in the past under the heading of "service bulletin"?
(I hope that's the right term, can't remember exactly)
Why did this issue get the headline-inducing "recall" word?

Just checked mine now, pulled on it with >>80lbs of force on all three passenger side mount points (left lock, right lap connector and top right tensioner connector). Also did driver side.

Safety first.

EPgYlqh.gif

I just had a ranger replace my rearview mirror 15 min ago and he mentioned it. It took less than five minutes. He just checks the bottom anchor bolt on the two fronts. And they aren't "falling apart" like some alarmists have said. It's an improperly torqued bolt. According to the ranger, they found it on one Euro model. Not sure how true that is.

Waited 6 weeks for a service appointment I had last week. email arrived today and I got worried I may have to wait. I am in Sunnyvale 8am tomorrow, that's a pleasant suprise to get an appointment within 16 hours. The email just stated 1 car affected.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone describe more in detail which part of the seat belt we are talking about? Is it the piece that is anchored near the door? Is that where you need to test?

from the email:

If you are concerned about the status of your seat belt prior to your scheduled inspection, you may be able to detect this condition by pulling very firmly on the lap portion of your seat belt with a force of at least 80 pounds. This procedure may detect an improperly attached seat belt but performing this procedure does not replace the need for an inspection by a Tesla technician.

Here is the email I received.

You have two options for your inspection:
1) Use our online scheduling tool to book an appointment
2) Visit a Tesla Service Center

Aha. This explains the virtual convoy of Teslas coming from Palo Alto this afternoon during my commute. Usually I see 20 to 40 Teslas on the way home, but today was especially intense in the first few miles. They must have gone to the Service Center.

Last edited:
Got my e-mail today. Scheduled for appointment next week.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Tesla Motors, for handling this quickly, voluntarily, and immediately even though you saw only ONE instance of a problem. This is true commitment to safety by a car manufacturer. Glad to be an owner.

I have not gotten an email, but found this on My Tesla page:

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 6.32.42 PM copy.jpg

Is this a normal two-days-after-delivery thing, or perhaps recall related? There was no mention of the recall nor is there in the Tesla blogs.

Edit for correction: I did get the email, but Apple Mail put it into the Junk Folder.

Last edited:
Actually, I think this whole thing is a clever effort by Elon to boost Model S sales:

1) If you're a Model S owner, a few days ago you probably got an email telling you that your trade-in value is now higher.
2) The seat belt inspection probably takes no more than 15 minutes, so you will stick around.
3) While you wait, you'll look in the showroom, heck maybe even take a test drive.
4) The Tesla salesperson will tell you about the new features (hardware) your car doesn't have. Whether seats, headliner color, or cameras for autonomous driving, etc. and then tell you how much they'd give you as trade-in.

Viola! New car sales for Tesla.

We should question the CFO to see if this recall is being expensed under promotional costs instead of service. :wink:

Actually, I think this whole thing is a clever effort by Elon to boost Model S sales:

1) If you're a Model S owner, a few days ago you probably got an email telling you that your trade-in value is now higher.
2) The seat belt inspection probably takes no more than 15 minutes, so you will stick around.
3) While you wait, you'll look in the showroom, heck maybe even take a test drive.
4) The Tesla salesperson will tell you about the new features (hardware) your car doesn't have. Whether seats, headliner color, or cameras for autonomous driving, etc. and then tell you how much they'd give you as trade-in.

Viola! New car sales for Tesla.

We should question the CFO to see if this recall is being expensed under promotional costs instead of service. :wink:

Brilliant!

Viola! New car sales for Tesla.:wink:

You're trading in a stringed instrument on a new Tesla? Must be a Stradivari. :)

I'm hearing from multiple news soirces that Tesla is supposedly recalling ALL cars due to seatbelt falling apart on one car. Any news or contact from Tesla to anyone? We have four cars and not a peep
Mario, if you look upthread and in the other thread about this issue you will see many many people have received an email from Tesla about this, including me.

It is amazing that I can easily schedule an appointment for something that was only found on one car out of ~90K a few days ago where no one was even hurt....with a single click....from my browser...yeah the future of automotive safety!