Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla releases big, new software update with Disney+, Car Wash Mode, remain connected to wifi, and more - 2021.24.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently I have an update from three years into the future. Still no FSD button even in 2024... Lol
20210809_141436.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
These latest updates are quite frustrating.

The install base, ignoring the outlying 1-5% of TeslaFi install fleet (or so) cars is much deeper than usual. There are a lot of people on the 2-5% or install base, even with 60% or so on one version; which is also still not the latest with D+ / Car Wash.

I can only guess that it’s due to radar / no radar cars, people with FSD / without FSD, Plaid / non Plaid (no steering stalks) and that this (currently) is requiring specific releases that cover the various car configurations and eventually we will get merged back to less various and (closer) to one main version at some point down the road.

Many seem to be stuck on older versions. I mean Tesla said there would be at least two versions depending if you were radar or Vision for the initial month or so; which I think we should be past about. Is. But yeah Tesla and timelines.

It also seems silly to roll out the Disney / Car Wash release when there are so many other varied releases. Get everyone on a more universal release across cars and eliminate some variations before we go even further down the rabbit hole with new features.

Some things like D+ would seem to be possible as separate modules (App Store) from things like car specific operation firmware updates.

Last edited:
I have a 2020 Model 3 LR and I was updated to 2021.12.25.7 two days ago. The only things new in my update is the new Sky Force game and two new language options. No Car Wash etc. Is this correct?
I have the exact same question - I just purchased a Tesla certified used Model S 2016 with all the bells and Whistles (totally surprised of the features for the model year - was explained to me that the previous owner barely drove it in FL and purchased all of the extra upgrades while on lease then purchased it before selling back to Tesla at a low low price of $42k and that I got a heck of a deal as many of the options were no longer available - sunroof air suspension lighting and power options etc)
I bought it for $54k all fees, delivery, taxes and pre sale service included, and within 3 days of having it home and in my driveway one night, received the 2021.12.25.7 update and was all excited about the new Disney+ car wash etc and only to find it too only received a partial update of the new languages and SkyForce game. Where in the heck is the rest of the update? I’ve tried everything I’ve seen online and none of the update tricks seem to work for pushing the remaining update and always reports back that the car software is up to date with the current version.
I am still in amazement how such an older model is so like the newer in regards to options and ability, the fact I even get these updates is amazing yet I want to see what was announced delivered, this is way too much fun!

received the 2021.12.25.7 update and was all excited about the new Disney+ car wash etc and only to find it too only received a partial update of the new languages and SkyForce game. Where in the heck is the rest of the update?
This thread is about 2021.24, which is a different version from what you received. Only a small percentage of vehicles have this latest version right now probably because Tesla is slowly rolling it out to test for bugs or regressions before sending the update to more people.

I'm curious if Tesla will add onscreen shifting for S and Y. You could then have choice of using stalks or screen. Eventually they could just pull the stalk out of newer cars and add the soft touch buttons (safety backup) in the center console like the new S/X,

I have the exact same question - I just purchased a Tesla certified used Model S 2016 with all the bells and Whistles (totally surprised of the features for the model year - was explained to me that the previous owner barely drove it in FL and purchased all of the extra upgrades while on lease then purchased it before selling back to Tesla at a low low price of $42k and that I got a heck of a deal as many of the options were no longer available - sunroof air suspension lighting and power options etc)
I bought it for $54k all fees, delivery, taxes and pre sale service included, and within 3 days of having it home and in my driveway one night, received the 2021.12.25.7 update and was all excited about the new Disney+ car wash etc and only to find it too only received a partial update of the new languages and SkyForce game. Where in the heck is the rest of the update? I’ve tried everything I’ve seen online and none of the update tricks seem to work for pushing the remaining update and always reports back that the car software is up to date with the current version.
I am still in amazement how such an older model is so like the newer in regards to options and ability, the fact I even get these updates is amazing yet I want to see what was announced delivered, this is way too much fun!

A LOT of people (not just you) seem to be confusing firmware "2021.24.X.X" with firmware "2021.12.24.X".

You dont have the new firmware talked about in this thread yet. The biggest problem (in my opinion anyway) is the website electrek, which a lot of times rushes to be "first" without properly vetting things they say sometimes. They said "rolling out" as if it was rolling out when they posted it, because they are trying to drive clicks to their website, not caring about timeliness or even accuracy at some points.

I wont go to that website because they do this, because it ends up doing exactly what is seen in this thread, where everyone is like "Its announced, where is it???????????????????" as if tesla itself had announced something.

The hell. I'm still stuck on half baked piece of garbage 2021.12.25.5 (no disney+, no dashcam viewer, owners manual crashes the car). Now I'm behind on 3 firmwares. 2021.12.25.7, 2021.24.2, and 2021.24.3
You may go to 12.25.7 first simply because that is a main build that most people are getting, but you will almost certainly skip 24.2. There are a lot is small updates that most people don't get.

I got 24.3 as well today. Haven't used the theater in a while but it didn't seem as slow and laggy as i remember.

Why would they not update all of the cars to the latest software? That’s like Apple saying hey we know that iOS 14.5 is out with new features, bug fixes, stability updates, but most of you can kick rocks we’ll update just some people’s devices.

Especially when the current software is trashy half baked pile of garbage, manual freezes and reboots the entire touchscreen, there’s dashcam and sentry cam features but no dashcam viewer to view the sentry events when you get into the car or the dashcam footage you save, until you get home and put the USB drive into your computer 😅😅